Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dumbest build ever - how far will I get?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Jason Maher, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Dumbest build ever - how far will I get?

I intended on not telling anyone about this character until I made it to Guardian, because I didn't want all the kids to laugh at me. :embarassed: However, considering that there's no chance I'll ever get to Guardian, I may as well out with it and let you people exult in predicting my inevitable doom (I'm no superdave).

Thus, allow me to introduce PoisonRaven, the Raven and Poison Creeper Druid. That's right, my two killing skills are a murder of crows and a vine. Currently I have a Defiance merc, though I originally intended having no merc at all.

The basics:

/players8
    full clears (re-runs allowed, though rather time consuming)
    killing done by Ravens, Poison Creeper, and Merc, though I have a club should anything stray too close
    Hardcore (not sure why I did that...)
    untwinked

Skill distribution:

20 - Raven
    20 - Poison Creeper
    1 - Oak Sage
    20 - Heart of Wolverine

Not sure what I'll do with the rest (should I get far enough), possibly Werewolf and Lyncanthropy for the life and stamina boost (I need to move a lot with this character), or Hurricane for cold damage.

Ultimately I think I will go with a Might merc, probably with no weapon, so the Ravens can benefit from both Might and Heart of Wolverine (they do benefit, you just can't see it, except for the obvious faster (hah!) killing). Other options would be Prayer or Defiance for safety, Holy Freeze (well der...), Thorns for amusement factor, and Blessed Aim if I want a truly useless meat shield.

So then, as I am currently in the middle of Act 2, those who would have bet that I couldn't get past the Blood Moor can instead bet that I won't get past Fangskin or Duriel. Personally, I think I have a slim chance to make it to Nightmare, though Big D will present something of a problem, but I doubt I'll make it much further.

2. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

Re: Dumbest build ever - how far will I get?

I say you die to baal's minions or baal himself. Diablo is just a matter of how much time in your day do you have? If he has more than you, he will win, if you have more, you will win.

How good of killers were ravens in act 1? It seems like if you put all your points in them, they'd be a beast, but I've never tried.

Good luck beating norm! (and hopefully NM and hell!)

3. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

The damage from maxed Ravens is good enough for p8 Act 1 and some of Act 2, however, it will quickly fade into insignificance. Likewise for the creeper damage. I've experienced it personally. That being said, the ravens' defensive blinding and PMH from creeper will be highly useful and effective throughout the game, even in Hell.

I wasn't aware that Ravens benefited from Might/HoW. If so, they might be able to inflict a shred of damage after Normal, but I doubt it will amount to much. Non-poisoned monster healing should easily negate any damage they do. Your merc will be doing 99% of the damage.

If you can be crafty about protecting your merc from nasty champion packs (cannot be blinded) then I think you can mange to get to Hell. Act bosses and Ancients will be tough, I'd shop for items with useful charges. Stairtraps will be especially difficult w/o tanks or crowd control. Good luck! :cool:

4. BobTheWarrior

BobTheWarrior IncGamers Member

I read somewhere, possibly in the Druid forum, about somone who took down Diablo in normal using ravens. Iirc, other than taking forever, it was a rather easy fight. He stood out of range of the PLBoD and Diablo kept trying to swat at the ravens, which he recast constantly.

I don't think he used ravens to get to Diablo, though...

5. moo-cow

moo-cow IncGamers Member

6. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

You'll probably want to put your remaining skill points into Werebear and Shockwave to make things easier for the mercenary. Having monsters stunned as well as blinded should keep the merc alive for the most part.

I'd say go for the Holy Freeze merc, as you'll need a source of damage beyond physical/poison to ensure you can deal with immunities.

7. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

I killed Normal Diablo with Ravens only and a few point in PC, as an experiment about a year ago. It took me about 20 minutes. Ravens are extremely cool, and the blinding effect is really helpful, but their damage is poor.

As others suggested, it will only work if you combine it with other skills. Either other summons (and perhaps Shockwave), or Fissure seem good options.

8. moo-cow

moo-cow IncGamers Member

shockwave sounds like a good idea, and with how long ravens, shockwave and poison creeper last you wouldn't need to worry about fast cast at all.

9. TheSupercrab

TheSupercrab IncGamers Member

to be fair with enough patience you should be able to beat the whole game. Good merc with HoW and might should be able to kill nearly everything in the game.

10. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

So any progress yet? I can't wait to follow PoisonRaven's adventure.

11. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Haven't played PoisonRaven for a week or so, but I was prompted by a thread in the Community Forum to post a character thread in here. I have a large number of characters I'm playing simultaneously due to a restart and a couple of tournaments (something like 30 all up), so progress on all of them is in fits and starts.

12. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

Ravens Damage not increased by Might or HOW

I remember a thread from 2 or three years ago when I asked about what enhances the damage of Ravens. I had a Druid character named Guano and I was building him about Ravens. i was also planning him around Might and HOW and hoping to achieve slvl 26 or higher for Ravens with bonus mods.

I was assured at the time that HoW and Might do not affect the damage of Ravens. The only skill that would work was said to be Amp Damage, because that affects the monsters and how they perceive damage.

Ravens are a bit like tornado and twister - Ravens and Twister damage is indeed physical but neither is melee damage and neither skill is affected by Might. Ravens are not true "minions" because they can't be injured - the game logic treats them as spells.

But remember that some (very talented) players have managed to achieve Guardian in a No Skills Tournament. So having Ravens and poison Creeper has to be better than no skills at all.