Dumb question: How do I bind skills?

Riale

Diabloii.Net Member
Dumb question: How do I bind skills?

I only play D2 really casually but I've never been able to figure this out. How does it work? There are sections in control configuration for binding skill 1, skill 2 skill 3 etc. But, no matter what I bind these to, they don't seem to have any effect. Also, how the heck do I know which of my skills is skill 1, skill 2, etc? Is there even any way to bind certain skills to other keys so I can keep my main attacks on the mouse buttons, and my other stuff (like buffs that need refreshing) on keys?

If someone would take the time to explain this to me it would be seriously appreciated. I've always had a really hard time playing spellcasters because of this. Switching back and forth between skills just takes so long.

hypper

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Dumb question: How do I bind skills?

Drag the mouse on your skills (right side of screen) and press F1-F12 on one of the skills to assign the key.

carnivore

Diabloii.Net Member

Drag the mouse on your skills (right side of screen) and press F1-F12 on one of the skills to assign the key.
left side works too. its f1 to f8 though by standard key setting. you can assign additional keys or change the ones already set in the options menu.

DjSlayer

Diabloii.Net Member

Both sides work perfectly well.

click on the active skill at the bottom on your character screen, there's 2 of them one for right click and other for left click, now you will get a "list" of skills you can assign to either left or right mouse button. Move your mouse pointer to the skill you want to bind to a key and press the function key you want to use for that skill, like F8 for town portal on right click. Now each time you press F8 you'll get Town portal on right click and are ready to cast it when you press the mouse button, same goes for left click.
F9 to F12 you'll have to manually assign through the configure controls menu under options, there you can also assign other keys as alternative activators of different skills.

- D.J.

ThomasJohnsen

Diabloii.Net Member

Both sides work perfectly well.

click on the active skill at the bottom on your character screen, there's 2 of them one for right click and other for left click, now you will get a "list" of skills you can assign to either left or right mouse button. Move your mouse pointer to the skill you want to bind to a key and press the function key you want to use for that skill, like F8 for town portal on right click. Now each time you press F8 you'll get Town portal on right click and are ready to cast it when you press the mouse button, same goes for left click.
F9 to F12 you'll have to manually assign through the configure controls menu under options, there you can also assign other keys as alternative activators of different skills.

- D.J.
Might be worth noting, that [F4] can be a dangerous key to assing to a skill. If you press [Alt] (to see items on the ground) while changing to a skill assigned to [F4] the active application (in this case Diablo) will close! This has happened to me a couple of times, and I kept cursing the damn b.net for their lousy servers and whatnot, until I of course realized what the problem was (and I have a university degree in computer science :blush:).