Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dueling Etiquette

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by AzaZaz, Apr 15, 2005.

1. AzaZaz

AzaZaz IncGamers Member

Dueling Etiquette

I wanted to make this post yesterday but i dont think it worked cuz i hadnt changed my link in my browser or something silly like that. anydoodle...

I wanted opinions on dueling etiquette, what some ppls views were on unwritten rules in a legit equal opportunity duel. Few examples:

Slow via Clegs for example. Used to be considered top knotch cheese, seems to go unnoticed nowadays. Not as effective as it once was but still noticable. Good? bad? ugly?

Prebuff gear. Barbs Druids Pallys any other class wearing seperate ammys, rings, helms and armors in their stash or on a seperate char via loader to buff their BO, SS, holy shield etc. Good? bad? ugly?

BO via a third party. So what if you're a barb and you COULD have your own BO, I dont think that gives you the right to duel with lvl 50 BO because you chose not to invest in the skill. My opinion. Yours?

Heres my favourite...It's ok to exit the game via "quick escape" (maphack), but its not ok to use a juvie. Remember this is a hardcore dueling forum. I'm all for no pots in a sc duel, but you're telling me that i'm not allowed to heal but when you're close to dying you're just gonna leave anyways? no thanks. Anyone other thoughts?

Just to name a few, any other pet peeves or old manners that go unnoticed today, or new ones today that were neglected in the past please post!

Cheers!

2. MagicMoron

MagicMoron IncGamers Member

I don't post much here, but anyways.
    Yeah I'm USEast HCL.

Clegs... well people use Nos' Coil etc too... so I guess people don't really care.

Prebuff on your own character is fine (rings ammys charms etc).

BO via 3rd party. Totally disagree. If you cant win without BO change so that you can win without it.

Pots are fine. Save and exit is fine. Chicken is not. If you chick, go to sc.

3. Majestik1474

Majestik1474 IncGamers Member

clegs is noob, but look on the bright side, if they usin clegs they're not usin bfists...its their loss^^

nothing wrong with prebuff imo...if ur ok w/echoing swords on switch, the same should apply to the rest of ur gear. only annoying thing is that it means u gotta wait that much longer to duel.

BO from 3rd party is retarded in my opinion, but the rules are the rules and i dont make'em. My philosophy is i'll offer to BO both duelers with my barb's lvl 52 BO, and if they disagree, i'll just use non-outside BO on myself. if they use outside BO, i will too.

I always laugh at the ROFL NOOB POT one.

how about this loser i dueled, *azzholebynature. He AA's and tppks, and yet when i use my switch weapon (lacerator --->33%chance to amp on striking) to amp him, i'm apparently a noob or bad mannar. uh huh...

People *****ing about me using resis gear and absorb vs their casters?? Thats like saying 'no dmg reduc' in melee duels...fat chance

lol another is when you want to use some strategy, say my 39 cs zon vs a ww barb...i go sit in a corner so they have to ww over to me..strategy makes me a noob...also, when i hide in a house from a charger, or sit in a ditch to avoid a charger, this also makes me a noob.

CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN CHICKEN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN CHICKEN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN CHICKEN

4. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I only had about a week of hc dueling before I got bored of how long it took to find people, but I think my favourite was getting called a noob for juving because "I'm a charger so I need my belt for mana so I can't carry juves so you can't either" =/

5. Ankeli

Ankeli IncGamers Member

sorta offtopic, but if this is going to the "omg j00 p0t"-conversation i got a nice story too :)

HCLEu is the realm.
    So, i pub baal some (omg i found baalruns with 8 people!?) and after maybe 4 or 5 runs this one dude, Meplsto or something, tries to tppk me with IB. Well, im sitting comfy on my lvl 87 IK barb who has ofc maxed resists and 4,3k health with bo. He chops a fair 600 off my health with every ib that hits me, he connected twice before i leaped away (gotta have your honor and look cool while escaping tppk'ers). Soo, i sorta mocked him for actually failing in such a lousy attempt as tppk'ing with a 3rd party program and he got all pissed. He went furious like "OMG THERE IS A PRIZE OF 3 JAH'S OF MY EAR, COME A1 AND DUEL ME NOOB!". Well, a kind person that i am, i head off to a1 after healing myself with malah. When i get to a1 he is townguarding outside so i go to cold plains to re-bo myself and my merc and then head to the gate. He just sits there chanting "come noob and i'll finish you off".
    I step outside, dodge a few of his IB's and start a ww towards him. The moment that it should've hit, his 3rd party program saves his sorry butt and tp's him to town. He doesnt say anything but comes back, now with me standing about 20 yards of the gate. He makes a few random bursts out of town and shoots an IB towards me, causing only a little laughter among the bystanders. Afterwards he came outside and tele'd on top of me (i mean... wtf) and i tried to zerk him but i guess the cheat he had makes him tp to town when he is namelocked. After that he insulted me with various mispelled (propably just mispelled that word twice meself) insults, he left the game with everyone laughing at him.. i got an ist as a reward for the nice try from one of the viewers and left with a happy mind. A crappy IK set barb 1 - Decked out fathom, ib ormus, nw etc. tppk cheater sorc 0. \o/

6. HelzCaretaker

HelzCaretaker IncGamers Member

[post deleted by ZappaFan for word filter bypassing]

7. Dahkar

Dahkar IncGamers Member

I don't agree with you on that Helz, I believe if someone wants to build a character to battle certain characters(IE: Charger caster killer etc etc) then theirs nothing wrong with that.

8. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Slow doesnt bother me too much, since as as Tamer pointed out, they're stuck using clegs gloves, which are, in my opinion, not as good as alternatives.

Using a third party source for BO is ridiculous, even for barbarians. The argument "well I'm a barbarian, so I could have it either way" carries ZERO weight, 1: If you could have it anyways, then GET IT. And 2: Any character can use CTA, does that mean every character should use high level BO from a BO barb, since they could have BO on their own? Nope.

Chickenhack is of course really lame.

Using "5" (I think thats the key) from maphack to exit is not as lame as maphack, but its still pretty damn lame.

People who say I cant use potions are idiots. Its hardcore dueling, the use of potions is part of widely accepted dueling "rules", to suggest it should be changed to increase your chances of winning, no thanks.

Any person who uses maphack or any other cheat will be completely ignored by me. They can ask me to do whatever they want (usually not to use potions or not to stand against a wall or something stupid like that) but if they use any cheats, I wont pay them any attention.

On the other hand, if a player I'm 100% sure is all legit asks me not to do something, even if its kind of stupid, I'm much more likely to go along with it (usually in the hopes of snagging their ear by convincing them to duel, since I'll play by their rules) But seriously, if I have respect for someone (legit players), I'll cut them a lot more slack than a cheater.

As for specific characters for specific builds, my view is that its perfectly ok to make them, but if you go hostiling and harassing lower level characters outside your specifications, for example an anti-caster charger hostiling a lower level druid, well, then you can expect to be hostiled by a higher level druid.

Basically, if you hostile lower level builds, expect simliar builds your own level to hostile you, and dont complain when they do, dont hostile em at any level, and you dont have to fight them at any level (in my opinion)

-Matt

9. HelzCaretaker

HelzCaretaker IncGamers Member

single purpose duelers I refer to those that will refuse to fight anything but one build for example. I don't mind chargers built to kill sorc's as long as the counter build is much lower and will duel other things besides sorc's for example. If there is an anti cold charger thats afraid to duel a fire sorc, then that dueler is a pos. What I am specifically referring to are like zerker barbs that won't duel a ww barb of the same lvl, chargers that won't duel my fury druid etc.

On a side note the #5 key for mh quick exiting is manual chicken still chickening. For a legit person to do that they have to hit escape then click on save and exit which takes more then an instant.

And another thing anyone who only duels pvm chars or lower lvl duelers should go bite themselves, I have seen so many times when an 18 charger will come in hostile my 16 but if a better 18 charger comes in they're completely silent and won't duel. Another thing that pisses me off is this 1 clan on east, oag they always claim to win duels and be the best when they are lame pieces of crap. They get the hostile + squelch treatment that all hackers+annoying people so justly deserve (they are both btw).

10. AzaZaz

AzaZaz IncGamers Member

with respect to class-specific characters. I am guilty of making them. I make anti sorc pallys, and anti druid barbs, and anti necro asns and the works. but When i do it i'm more often then not disadvantaged by 30 or so lvls then the characters i'm fighting, and I rarely go looking for a build I use them more as a defense for ones that come looking for me. If i'm in a duel game with a 37 druid waiting for a duel and an 85 sorc hostiles me, i will get my 55 pally and be thankful i have one. I think what helz is refering to is a guy who makes a 34 barb, says he'll duel any lvl 34, but when his sorc comes in he says "my res sucks i'll duel any melee 34," then helz brings in his 34 druid and the barb says "i'm not good against druids i'll duel any barbs under 34. I've seen this happen so many times to helz i understand 100% where he's coming from. Aggrevating to no end. Class specific chars are fine, theres no such thing as a class specific lvl 3x dueler, theres no reason for it at such a low lvl. If you are incapable of making a multipurpose char from lvls 9- say 39, then I have trouble respecting you as a dueler. This isnt directed at anyone in particular just saying in general. If you're gonna make a 1 hit wonder then thats fine, just show me you can make a dueler to duel. I respect people dueling in their lvl range but theres no such thing as a class range. soon they'll be splitting into Trees. "I cant duel you, you use offensive auras instead of defensive." "I cant duel a cold sorc" "i cant duel a bone necro" "i cant duel a wear bear" .... oh wait, they already do say that.

11. Still-Xey-Lover

Still-Xey-Lover IncGamers Member

Ok well i just wanna say that i dont mh or chicken. Although ive been accused of chickening before, its not true. I just leave my mouse in the middle of the screen, press esc and click very fast. This allows me to legitly (i think? :p) leave quick.

12. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Is Cleg's slow still bugged? I.E, instead of slowing you by 25% it slows you to 25%. If it's the latter, then it's bad maner.

I frankly don't care about items that add to buffing skills to be taken off. I used to do it too. Pop on an Arkaine's/Arreats/+3 bo ammy etc. Helped quite a bit. Let me hit 4.8k hp.

Outside BO...I never liked it. IF the other guy insisted on using it, I had my friend bring in his bo-er so we were even.

I can't even imagine hc dueling without Pots. IMO Pots is an area that takes quite a lot of skill. Using the pot at the right time, at the right moment can differentiate between a noob dueler and a skilled one. Pots are vital.

Chicken hack is not. It's an ugly ugly ugly thing and I hate it.

Save and exit is fine. It's basically considered a defeat if you saved+exited unless you were black walling.

Funny story. This is back in 1.09 when I made my anti-sorc high lvl baba. There was this real ass of a sorc running around back then using 1.08 Valor with a WF merc. Her spells did **** damage to me but her merc hurt quite a bit considering I had no PDR on. After saving and exiting around 10-11 times, being called noob,*****,various other insults over and over, I take out his merc, and before he can tele back into base, 2 quick zerks and it's over. I have his ear, and he doesnt have his loot cause of his chicken hack kicking in a bit too late.

Moral of the story. Save and exit is good, **** talking is not.

13. AzaZaz

AzaZaz IncGamers Member

i have no problem with ppl "fluxing" cuz afterall, a submission is as good as a tapout.

And i fully agree with seph on that the use of pots is a large part of what 'dueling skill' is. Clegs doesnt bother me, prebuff, i'm not fully against it but like i dunno, sometimes it seems a bit ridiculous, like carrying around sojs in your stash to cast wearwolf. i dunno probably just me.

Today we have a guy say

"I dont use chicken when I duel, I only use chicken when i PK. I use chicken because when I was trying to pk your lvl 25, it allows me to take more hits and try to land a good hit on you. I wouldnt use chicken but this way i have a better chance of killing you"

...... some justification

14. Still-Xey-Lover

Still-Xey-Lover IncGamers Member

Yeah..when i had my MLD baba, there was this guy in IN (ice nine tppk clan) and he had a bo'er with a level 50 bo and he said it was so he could max out the zerk synergies...

15. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

In my opinion:
    Slow is fine
    Pre-buff gear is fine
    BO via 3rd party is unacceptable
    Pots are fine
    Chicken hack is unacceptable obviously, but a lot use it, so I make the most of it by concentrating on building 1 hitters, and occasionally have the satisfaction of seeing their non-looted corpse get booted from the game in a millisecond. :lol:
    Quick exit - I don't really think this makes that much difference, so I would say fine. (Though, I would never use it). They still have to make the decision to press their quickexit key, and in that moment, an ear could technically fall.

Basically, anything that you can do without cheating with your own character is fine by me! Other things e.g. maphack/quickexit come into the lame territory but make little difference to me - I've come to realize that its just part of the game nowadays e.g. frustrating ppl by refusing requests for "press w", "press w".

16. AzaZaz

AzaZaz IncGamers Member

"i'll push 'w' as soon as you press 'alt-f4'"

or

Lamer: "press w"
    Me: "w"

17. BuiltTOKill

BuiltTOKill Banned

[/QUOTE]CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN CHICKEN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN CHICKEN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN ITEMSCAN CHICKEN CHICKEN[/QUOTE]
    Thats when you ask them how they would be doing without 3'rd party programs, see what else that have to blurt out irrelevant to that question

18. BuiltTOKill

BuiltTOKill Banned

I would have to agreed with this, as long as its not a 3'rd party program, its in the game for a reason use it to your advantage and as Azazaz Said before you have 3 options afterwards, Cry, Deal, or Quit ;)

19. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Yes, but there are certain item exploits which are not meant to be, but are taken advantage of regardless.

20. BuiltTOKill

BuiltTOKill Banned

Please sir, give me an expample of an "exploit"