Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Duel Azurewrath

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Bandit, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Bandit

Bandit IncGamers Member

Duel Azurewrath

Hey all, I'm curious about the sanctuary aura that comes from azurewrath...I noticed that other "lvl x aura when equipped" mods stack when involving the same mod (dream helm and shield come to mind). I'm curious if this is true for duel azurewrath and if anyone has tried it and if it's in fact viable for any build for a barb.

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Yes, if you dual wield Azurewrath, the two Sanctuary auras will stack. As for builds, you can making a Frenzy barb out of that.

3. Clay bizzle

Clay bizzle IncGamers Member

Sounds pretty snazzy. I think this may be a good combo for finding socketables in the Ancient Tunnels during 8 player games. Godly speed, massive damage to undead, and STYLE! I'll give this a shot I think, even though my Frenzier is an axe user...

4. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

The problem with Sanctuary is that it's bugged to high heaven. The +% Damage to Undead quite simply DOES NOT WORK. The only two effects that Sanctuary grants is the ping effect/knockback (equipping two Azure's would increase the ping radius), and when Sanctuary is active you will ignore physical resists on undead (so if you attack a PI wraith, you'll damage it as if that wraith had 0% physical resistance, which is handy).

A higher slvl of Sanctuary really offers you nothing except knockback in a wider radius. I actually DISLIKE the extra knockback, because you'll start knocking back enemies who aren't even onscreen, which is a good way to wake up Gloams, Dolls, or OKs that weren't aware of you yet.

I love Azurewrath, but I'd recommend against dualing them. Pair it up with a different handy weapon, instead- preferably something with huge damage, leech, and some CB.

5. Metathrom

Metathrom IncGamers Member

I usually wear Grief + Azurewrath in Chaos games, the Sanctuary aura paired with Howl is quite useful to give your allies greater safety. However I advise against using it if you're running an area full with Gloams: use the Taunt skill instead, to lure most of them close to you. They'll use their ridiculous melee attack instead of the nasty lightning one(which isn't too dangerous vs a Barb but annoying still).

Also remember that the Lawbringer runeword works well for a support weapon(or merc weapon): it also has Sanctuary and chance to cast decrepify, which will break immunities and greatly increase your physical damage.

Verdict: don't dual wield Azurewrath.

6. Bandit

Bandit IncGamers Member

OHH haha, I thought sanctuary was that resist all aura...that's why I figured azurewrath was worth so much :p

7. Spankeh

Spankeh IncGamers Member

Lawbringer > Azurwrath because of decrepify curse

8. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Well, that depends from the character.

For example, for a WW barbarian, Lawbringer is out of question due to less damage and no IAS.

Also, I think most people will find Azurewrath better in many ways:
    +stats
    More damage
    Magical damage
    speed
    +1 all skills
    No repairs

The only good things about Lawbringer are +dex (which again, Azure can offer even more), Slain monsters rest in Peace (not much of a thing to look after, plus you can get it from that neat ring) and Decrepify (which you do not even need).

Azurewrath is Ladder only. Plus, it's a damn good endgame weapon for the most common melee builds (Zealot, WW barb, Frenzier, Concer, Zerker).

9. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Also, straight magical damage on it is huge and with a character that swings at 4fpa (zealer and ww come to mind), thats alot of magical damage in short time. And, someone may correct me on this but, in Hell diff, physical damage is pretty much halved anyways but not magical dmg. Also, huge cold damage and cold damage doesnt usually come in amounts that large which would make this a great weapon for frostzealots or auradins who primarily run conviciton.

10. hardnfast

hardnfast IncGamers Member

I second that, grief on hand - lawbringer offhand.

The thread is about frenzy weapons. Also I think I've seen 0 ww barbs using azurwrath.

11. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

In patch 1.09 and before, monsters had a global 50% physical resistance in Hell. Since patch 1.1x, that has been removed, so physical damage operates at full effectiveness, barring any physical resist on the monster.

12. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Quoting the OP:
    See?

Also, of course you've not seen any WWbarbs using Azurewrath. It's too expensive for most Ladder/beginner PvMers and the more advanced ones use Botds mainly. But that still does not change the fact that Azurewrath is a damn good weapon on a WWbarb or any melee character for that matter, except a Smiter. The added magical damage allows you to attack physical immunes with no trouble at all which is a huge bonus. If you are worrying about Lifeleech, well you get enough from other pieces of gear.

13. hardnfast

hardnfast IncGamers Member

Read through the thread, all of the subsequent posts were talking about these weapons being used for a frenzy barb. So in this context I think Lawbringer > Azurwrath because of decrepify curse.

14. Spankeh

Spankeh IncGamers Member

Someone posted in other thread that Sanctuary is bugged, in that the +660% damage to undead (from lvl 18 Sanctuary) doesnt work.

Is this true?

15. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

It's true. From the fourth post of this thread:
    "The problem with Sanctuary is that it's bugged to high heaven. The +% Damage to Undead quite simply DOES NOT WORK. The only two effects that Sanctuary grants is the ping effect/knockback (equipping two Azure's would increase the ping radius), and when Sanctuary is active you will ignore physical resists on undead (so if you attack a PI wraith, you'll damage it as if that wraith had 0% physical resistance, which is handy).

A higher slvl of Sanctuary really offers you nothing except knockback in a wider radius. I actually DISLIKE the extra knockback, because you'll start knocking back enemies who aren't even onscreen, which is a good way to wake up Gloams, Dolls, or OKs that weren't aware of you yet."

16. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

But it does mess up OK's curse casting, i am always lucky with Azurewrath since it seems to stop them from casting IM altogether.

The KB can be annoying though.

17. Spankeh

Spankeh IncGamers Member

what makes u think it doesnt work?

i mean, how could blizzard screw this up? more info plz

18. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

Not to be rude, but how do you know that? is it just for sanctuary or does all +xxx% dmg to undead not work? how did you test this?

19. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I think it doesn't work because I have been told by people I trust implicitly that it doesn't work.

As for how Blizzard could screw this up... come on, this is Blizzard we're talking about here. You give them far too little credit. I mean, this is the same Blizzard that has created a bug where if you die, you can lose up to 30% resist all and the LCS won't even display it. Trust me, in my experience... if there's any way for them to screw something up, they're probably going to succeed.

I don't know if you know who adeyke is, but he is my source for that information- and as the people who know him can attest, he's probably been wrong some time, but nobody can remember when. If adeyke says it, I take it as absolute truth. It's been further confirmed by my playing experiences- I've made a dual-azurewrath barb before, and if I was getting +1000% ED against undead, it was news to me. If you want to test it out, make a Pally with slvl 20 Sanctuary and +30 skills, and have him attack an undead with 0% physical resistances. He'll do exactly the same damage with Sanctuary on as he will with it off.

All other +% damage to undead works properly, it's only Sanctuary that's bugged.

Also, I understand you weren't accusing me or calling me a liar, you just wanted some verification, and I don't have any problem with that (I'm exactly the same way- I like some supporting evidence rather than just accepting complete strangers at their word). In the future, though, I tend to be extremely concerned about spreading baseless rumors, and so I usually research and verify bugs (either by asking one of the 3-4 players whose words I consider to be absolute truth, or by playtesting it myself) before I discuss them elsewhere. The sanctuary bug is legit, I promise. :smiley:

20. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

The problem with this approach is that you'll eventually ending up linking to other Diablo 2 forums for proof which would get you banned. The moderators here already "watch" you.
    Remember, using the Arreat Summit for the information is always the safe choice.

Or, in other words. Sometimes the law is more important than the truth.