Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dual Wield vs. 2-hand

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by GargonCerlan, Jun 24, 2005.

1. GargonCerlan

GargonCerlan IncGamers Member

Dual Wield vs. 2-hand

Assuming that you have 100% chance to hit (for the sake of argument) and dual wielding lwbp weapons, does this mean that you theoretically can hit 12 times, or is there some other formula to determine chances to strike while dual wielding?

The reason I ask, is that it seems to me that it is better to dual wield fastest weapons for dealing with large mobs, and a range 5 lwbp 2 hand weapon for dealing with bosses. Is this true? If using short-whirls I can see how it would prove more beneficial to dual wield, but I have not yet mastered this, as I always seem to not whirl at all because I may be clicking to close to myself, or it still ends up being a long whirl.

Would it be worth maxing 2 masteries for PvM to use the EBOTD GP and dual wield either beast zerker and grief or beast zerker and ebotd zerker? Or is it just easier to master the DOD? Skill points in a ww build seem pretty flexible, as it remains a metter of personal preference anyway. I wouldn’t mind a dual mastery, but I don’t absolutely need it.

Anyone have any suggestions, comments, or concerns?

GargonCerlan :drink: :buddies:

2. MonsterSlayer

MonsterSlayer Guest

12 fpa means you will attack 12 times per second, so if you can keep ww on the target for 1 second you'll hit 12 times with 100% chance to hit. In pvm both dual wild and Big damage long range two handers work fine in most situations, but go for what you like :thumbsup:

3. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

As long as target is in range,you will.BUT:

In the first attack-i.e:the 4th frame-the primary only hits & both hit together from frame 8 onwards.

So in the first second of ww-you can hit 11 times max.

1)Actually,both are close in terms of dmg over time:A range 5 2hander would hit more consistently,as target will be easily available due to range & will have targets in range longer,with dualwield you'll hit more often(2 attacks vs 1 from frame 8 onwards)-In close packs dualwield is superior,but against scattered targets & larger monsters(frenzy minos) or bosses range is more effective.

2)Short whirls for dualwielding in PVM are counter productive,You are losing out on 1 attack from secondary in the 4th frame every time you start a new ww.Keep your whirls long & try to draw whirl lines to hit as many monsters in a single whirl.

I would advise against it-Thats worse than maxing two combat skills.Like I said the difference between the two setups in terms of dmg isnt great overall & there is no real point in maxing two masterys-you will loose out on defense from shout/iron skin,which will be doubly important without shield.

edit:
    FPA means Frames Per Attack:12 frames per attack means 2 attacks per second. tiny clarification :p
    --
    Dualwield WW can be clocked at 2fpa but techincally, it doesnt attack every 2 frames,but attacks twice every 4(from frame 8 onwards).

Rik

4. MonsterSlayer

MonsterSlayer Guest

my bad I wrote 12 in stead of 2 :eek: