Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dual tree sorceresses?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by rachil0, Mar 29, 2004.

1. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

Dual tree sorceresses?

I've been thumbing through the sorceress forum FAQ's and been trying to come up with a good build for my next one. The last sorc I did was all blizzard, which I absolutely loved! I'd like to get a little bit more versatility this time around, so I want to try some sort of dual tree caster. I'd like to use blizzard again because it was so effective, but it might be a little to short on skill points. I'd be pretty happy with a mostly blizzard sorc with just a little non-cold accessory damage to fight cold immunes with. It seems that meteorb and CL/orb are the two most popular dual tree builds. But i'd rather be mostly cold with F/L backup instead of mostly fire or lightning with orb backup (orb seems puny, and it seems there's a lot more F/L immunes than cold immunes near baal). Anyone tried something like this and could recommend a skill point distribution? The closest I have so far is:

20 blizz
    20 ice blast
    7 CM

20 firebolt
    20 FB
    1 FM

With planned eq, it would be 2.4K blizz and 3K fireball. Although it seems like if I am maxing FB and a synergy, I should pick meteor for a more useful timered fire spell.

Heh, I wish they made like "fire orb" or "lightning orb" or something, that would be just about right for me. I've got some pretty mean equipment to wear, and a blank 33 sorc with 28 free points ready to roll ... I just need inspiration from the experts! :jig:

2. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

I have a lvl 83 meteorb sorc, and the one thing I hate is that everywhere I play (act 1, act 3) most things are either fire or cold immune. While that sounds good because I always have a skill to kill with, it is rather a pain to always be swapping skills continuously throughout a fight, or even to have to perform two fights on the same spot (one for the fire immunes, followed by one for the cold immunes). I've often thought it would be so much easier if I had gone cold+lightning (for example).

Anyway, my point is if you know where you'll be playing mostly for end-game, then pick a skill where the majority of monsters are not immune. You suggest L-F immunes are common leading up to hell baal (I haven't ventured there too much myself). So I guess your cold plan would work well. Frozen orb actually does a lot of damage, and is a lot cheaper skillwise than blizzard (only mastery+orb), but you have to gauge the distance so that the ball 'explodes' right on the intended target. Then it kills things probably 4x faster than just 'swiping' them with the shards.

3. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Yes. I'd say a well aimed Orbs do as much and more damage/time than Blizzard, at alot lower a cost. That makes it the most suitable dual-complementary cold skill IMO.

4. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

I learned the distance-gauging technique after watching your 'shako' video btw. Thanks! :)

5. det

det IncGamers Member

I don't think any hell running build is safe without 1 pt ES and 16 in TK (unless you have godly DR gear and stuff)..so a Build would have to work with something like 70 pts.

In that way I was thinking of 20 Orb and a bit in CM as well as FW and a bit of FM...or is there a decent lightning spell that works with 35 pts?

6. greenfire10

greenfire10 Banned

i was thinking wire wall as well.

and i doubt the effectiveness of blizzard with that little points in synergys very much.

so i guess the frozenwall sorc would be the best option.

the main problem of any sorc at this moment is just that there are to few skillpoints to go around. moost caracters feel this pain, but the sorc the moost i think.

7. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

i know orb/fball works, since ci's tend to have low life (or move very slowly). fball works a bit better than fwall imo, especially for poor builds, since u don't have to rely on a strong merc to live.

8. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

I'm at 76 with my orb/meteor sorc, and I love her so far. Switching between skills is not annoying, you do it with all other classes and I'm an experienced Necro. Anyone who is good at Necro knows that you need no less than 13 fingers and three hands to play him effectively.

The only problem with this M/O build is sacrafice. Example: You can not put anything into static because you have to max out other skills first. Well, you could but that would be a waste of a skill point. You cannot build the energy shield synergy until all skills are maxed out (or you are happy with their present damage). etc. etc.

I find using Shako + Tal's Belt is working ok at the moment. This sorc will not be rushing anytime soon tho.

9. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

As soon as I'd read that first paragraph, rachil0, I said to myself, "Blizzard/Fireball." I myself have no experience with Blizzard, but you seem to have quite a bit of confidence in its effectiveness. I'm assuming you'll have enough +skills to make get a decent Static radius Static with only one point in it. The listed 1-yard radius on Fireball's splash dmg is also somewhat decieving... I'd say it's more like 2 yards.

As for EShield, I have an 83 Meteorb Sorc who spent the points required to get EShield, but she never uses it. The problem is with +9 skills the EShield just absorbs way too much of the dmg taken. Compound that with the resists bug/feature/whatever and it just turns into a huge nuisance. I should mention first that she has 45%dr, max block, about 3.5k def, near-maxed resists, 20 lightning absorb, and close to 30 MDR. So you can see that even without EShield on I take very little dmg. But with elemental attackers getting beefed up so much and EShield not factoring in resists... I remember trying to do a Baal run, getting hit once by a Gloam bolt, and suddenly having no mana left. Now I suppose this could be counteracted somewhat by, say, Nightsmoke and Naj's Plate, but it's hard to take off that TGod's and I haven't found a Naj's. Just something to think about; if you've got the gear to have maxed resists and some decent absorb/DR/MDR, EShield is completely unnecessary. Otherwise you're gonna have to try to fit some dmg to mana gear into your setup.

10. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

On one of my sorcy's... build so far is

20 Glacial
    20 Blizz
    6 in CM

1 in all req.

1 in static
    1 in ES

With Full Tals... and a Up'd Visc.. I have +8 to skill.

and I still have 43 unused skill pts.

I dont recall the dmg offhand... but Glacial is my primary kill.

For CI's - I'll start w/ static and leave the rest for my HF merc w/ a boosted lvl 9 CL for clean-up.

I'm just wondering if placing pts into FB would be advisable... I can easily max it... just wondering how much dmg would be possible, w/o extra syns.

Help me decide... :scratch:

11. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Definitely do it Wing. 20 Fireball, 20 Firebolt, 1 Fire Mastery is only 41 points (this actually gives you much more dmg than maxing Fire Mastery instead of a synergy), and there's no doubt about Fireball's effectiveness. I use it way more than Meteor on my Meteorb Sorc. After that I'd start working on TK if I were you.

12. WingBlade

Phat ... thx for the reply... so 1 in FM is enuf.... if I go this route... essentially, this sorc would be a tri-elemental....

Blizz/Glacial
    FireBolt / FireBall
    Chain Lightning

13. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I like the low prereqs of the fire tree.

91 points total (If I can count) ... so I'm 'done' at level 80 ish. That's very manageable IMO. I think I'll drop the rest into icebolt, as I level past 80. Argh, it just seems like I should do meteor instead of firebolt .. same percentage bonus and I can drop em as timered's along with fireball. Of course, then I get a little bit more tangled in pre-reqs and won't be done until 84. I guess I got time to choose.

No eshield, I don't like it that much.

14. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

My Meteorb sorc just hit 80, and I've got maxed Frozen Orb, maxed meteor, maxed Fire Mastery, and am working on maxing fireball (can't remember exactly where it's at but my fireball is well over 3K I'm sure). My Meteor does over 10K damage if I remember correctly. I drop a meteor and then while I'm waiting for that to drop I spew fireballs. Very effective for stuff that's not fire immune. Takes pindle & his buddies down very quickly. I use FO for stuff that's fire immune of course and that's real effective, too.

For the occasional fire/cold immune, I static them and let my merc take care of them. As long as I kill off all the minions first that's not too big a deal so far. I'm right up to the point of taking on Hell Baal. I just leveled to 80 the last time I played and want to switch out Glooms Trap for the unique spiderweb sash before taking on Baal & his minions in hell.

[edit: I DO have a couple of points in E-shield and have not found it to be a problem with my mana getting drained all the time as I had read about in the sorc forum. I like having e-sheild. Occasionally it does drain, but I just drink a mana pot and it's no big deal. It almost never drains totally in one wack.]

15. WingBlade

Update... I Maxed Firebolt and Fireball... Tal's set gives me a boosted 10 FM w/ no initial pt in FM @ all.

Blizzard dmg is 2390 - 2528

Fireball dmg is 2394 - 2651

Much easier 2 take down CI's