Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dual Dream (helm and shield)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by kohlman, Sep 18, 2006.

1. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Dual Dream (helm and shield)

I recently came across a Dream helm as well as a Dream Troll Nest shield. Both have over 400 defense. But what I am wondering about is what in the world I whould do with them? I have a Zealer but he already has the gear he needs. He is PvM.

I was wondering if I should make another paladin specifically around these items. If i was going to do that, I figured that I would be maxing Conviction and Zeal. Other than that I do not know what to do, therefore I have a few questions about skills and auras:

1. If I have a lvl 15 Dream helm and a lvl 15 Dream shield, does that give me lvl 30 Holy shock?
    2. Does the holy shock from the helm and dream add to my level of Holy Shock skill points that I have invested, giving me a lvl 50 Holy Shock before other items?
    3. What other items should I go with to compliment this type of build? (I assume this is called a Tesladin? Could someone second me on that or correct me?)

This is all on non-ladder so some things such as Fort and other runewords may be out of my reach. I got lucky on the helm and shield but I dont think I'm lucky enough for a Fort.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cole

2. SbCaes

SbCaes Banned

1. yes
    2. no whichever is higher
    3. correct.

- also max dmg with this build is around 6-8k .
    it is viable in hell. just gets a lil hairy when u get into p8 games. but this can be synergised with resist lighting and what not

3. Spankeh

Spankeh IncGamers Member

If the answer to Q1 is yes, then what did 1.11b patch fix? Isnt that the merc aura stack bug, that you are talking about?

4. Calizzar

Calizzar IncGamers Member

I used dual dream on a paldin and easily owned hell.

I maxed resist lightning, put 15 conviction, maxed holy shield, and almost done maxing defiance, then will go for salvation.

I used beast runeword to transform into werebear and used a botd phase blade as my main weapon.

Id use cta to cast battle command, then battle orders, then holy shield. Then id put in inventory and but beast on, turn werebear, and switch to botd phase blade and hit with normal attack and conviction. The reason i use phase blade is because it hits the 4fpa breakpoint.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=494420

look at the last setup i listed on second page. That is my current setup and i owned hell.

Right now i have about 4,300 life. I'm going to start dueling but i need to push my life up to 6000 with more 20 lifers and prebuff gear.

5. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Another option is to go the zealer route - either go for pure lightning damage with maxed conviction and a Crescent Moon phase blade, or hybridize with a high physical damage fast weapon and fanatacism, letting the dream's synergized damage simply add onto an already very nice amount of physical.

6. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

I was thinking about going the more lightning approach. So Zeal, Conviction, Salvation, and Holy Shield? Would a smiter buil;d work here as well? a Dream Smiter? Maybe called a Smeam :shocked: I know its far-fetched but i think it would be interesting. But what would the gear choices be for this character? smiter version, physical damage zealer version, and lightning damage version.

thanks for all the help guys

7. IMCanadian

IMCanadian IncGamers Member

Yeh, there is a possible smiter route...I was looking into this. I think im going conviction as my main aura, duel dreams with a charge variant.

IMC :grin:

8. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

I was thinking about mostly PvM so is a smiter any good for this or would 1 point smite work? if so, do you think that the skills should be something like:

20 Conviction
    20 Sanctuary
    20 Holy Shield
    1 Zeal
    1 Smite
    0-20 Defiance (defense bonus on Holy Shield maybe?)
    I know that Conviction is a must as well as Holy Shield (all Paladins should take advantage of this huge defense bonus) and I like the idea of the Beast runeword that Calizzar is using, but could that be a main weapon so you also have Fanatacism's increased attack speed, rating, and damage; or is the physical damage of this build too low to worry about Fanatacism? Is Sanctuary a must?

A few more basic questions:
    1. Does the synergies for Holy shock add to the level of Holy Shock from the helm and shield? Or do they only add to the Holy Shock I have added skills into?

2. I imagine that the strength doesn't need to be as high as Calizzar has it because that adds to only Pysical damage whereas most of the damage will be Lghtning damage, or is the Physical damage covering the lower end of the damage so its worth putting the points into strength?

3.Would the optimal setup be:
    Ammy-Maras
    Ring-RavenFrost
    Ring-Bul-Kathos
    Weapon-Beast, BOTDz/BOTDpb/Crescent Moon
    Armor-COH
    Shield-Dream (obviously)
    Belt-T-gods/Verdungos
    Boots-Gores
    Helm-Dream (another duh)
    and of course the anni and torch.

I think I'll call it a Shockadin :undecided: (closely related to the Tesladin I assume?)

9. niner

niner IncGamers Member

10. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

I am still wondering if I put a point into Resist Lightning, will it work as a synergy for the Holy Shock from the helm?

As for the Whateverdin, i think that the runewords are a little difficult to get a hold of such as Last Wish, which the build seems to be cemented on.

11. IMCanadian

IMCanadian IncGamers Member

Yes it does, that is the main synergy of your dream Hshock and where the damage comes from. But elemental isnt added to smite, so wouldnt beast work well, for the fact that you lower there resists, the holy shock kills, you stun/do some damage with a fast atk smite increased damage from fana. You definitly wouldnt be able to max defiance.

IMC :grin:

12. niner

niner IncGamers Member

Only hard points spent will give synergies for item granted auras.

Whateverdin is based on a elemental zealot that uses conviction as his main aura rather than fana. Any good 1 handed weapon will work with it. I prefer LW as an end-game weapon but its hardly cemented upon it as any good 1 handed zealot weapon will get the job done. ebotz will work just fine.

13. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

I think I'm gonna make one with the helm/shield combo,

20 Conviction
    20 Holy Shield
    20 Lightning Resist
    1-20 Zeal?
    1-20 Sacrafice?
    Rest I can play around with. I'll try to keep ya'll updated on how it goes. I will still be accepting any advice at all so keep the ideas comming. Just remember, I'm non-ladder and not super rich (no fort, spirit, grief...) so I cant get them unless I get lucky like I did with these 2 items.

Thanks for the help everyone

14. jdmoney

jdmoney IncGamers Member

i thought dream was ladder only.. am i wrong? if so, is dragon attainable in non ladder too? if they are, ima have to give it a run.

if not even, does conviction effectively raise the damage of a weapon like famine? i have one in a zerker and wonder if that would be powerful enough alone..

15. schreier

schreier IncGamers Member

I have a dual dreamer and absolutely love the character - he is a load of fun .... destroys almost everything ...

What I did was run conviction as my primary aura - and then synergized holy shock (in the helm and shield) and also got a Doom Berseker Axe giving me holy freeze and I got my merc a bow w/ fanat ...

So I get the attack speed from fanat (and doom is fast to begin with), have maxed resist light, put some into salvation and some into resist cold ... go the vengeance route with 1 pt in vengeance for phys immunes (you already have a lot of the synergies for your 2 elemental auras)

Enjoy!
    schreier

16. schreier

schreier IncGamers Member

Also - dream is ladder only, but if obtained in 1 ladder - then when that ladder ends it is transfered to non-ladder ...

This means that they are available non-ladder but can not be made non-ladder

schreier

17. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

That char looks like fun and I think I might try it myself schreier. Is Doom ladder or non-ladder? If its ladder only then I think it might be too hard for me to get. Hopefully I can find some time to get this character off the ground because I'd like to see it going. If the Doom is available, what should I look for in one? What stats vary and what is the best weapon to get it in for a Zealer? Thanks for any help.