Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

dual claw elementalist

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Artagas, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

dual claw elementalist

Hi,

I have some trouble building my martial artist 'sin. She is level 45 or so now.
    The base of the build is CoT-Phoenix 20 (the latter i don't have yet of course)
    I foolishly put 3 points on BoS and WB which is really unnecessary with all the skiller items (should i schedule a character restart? the reason why i don't is that i can't think of a much better way to spend those points, see below)
    CM is at 2, DC is 1, Fade, Venom 1. I will pump SW to around 10-20, but that still leaves me with a bunch of points (I plan on getting 90-100).
    now my options are:
    - maxing SW (she is nice, but not fantastic...at least certainly not wasted points)
    - FoF against LI-s. (that is probably a good idea, though, no need to max it imho, with the synergys and the physical dam, 10 points should be plenty just to deal with immunes)
    - CM (not charming. dual claw should have little AR problems. and the bulk of my damage is the elemental damage which is not affected at all by CM)
    - some blade skill? (this is where i am clueless. i have never even seen a high level sin with blade skills, let alone playing one. i don't hear much good about them though, and their damage looks less than enough for hell. any point in raising these?)
    - a kick skill? (well, i really dunno' about a 2claw kicker. I would still have the extra AR advantage, and i would still get 2 charges from a single hit using CoT, but somehow it still sounds more reasonable using claw/shield for a kicker 'sin and phoenix which gives 1 charges for each hit either way)

When you answer please take into consideration that even though i do play her in mp, i want her to be more or less viable in solo hell...at least for most parts.

2. z3r0x2

z3r0x2 IncGamers Member

I would say max FoF to synergise PS even more.

Don't put more than one point into claw mastery (as you will be focusing on elemental damage).

I would say max fade because of the great +res all and PDR which you will be lacking(no shield). You can also use BoS occasionally when its needed (1 point is enough). Venom isn't really worth it if your focusing on elemental damage.

Going the kicker route might be ok but you need good boots(myrmidon greaves) to reach respectable kick damage.

SW? Don't you mean SM? Shadow masters a good distraction, and you should try to get it to lvl17 after +skills, keeping in mind that you can cast it at +6 w/ 2x shadow claws on switch, which will save points

And blade skills are useless for an elementalist build (don't do enough damage, and your not stacking CB or OW onto your weapons)

3. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I don't think the pts into CM/WB are wasted points so you don't really need to restart.

Consider having at least 1 pt in death sentry for the CE? Thats 5 pts(including prereqs). You can spend another 2 pts on fireblast to give an extra attack for your trap.

A claw/normal attack would probably be faster for you compared to kicks. A pt for dragon's flight can be useful.

Have you gotten CoS or MB? Best crowd control ever.

I'll take your word you're using shadow warrier because she can synergise her PS with FoF etc. Make sure you "force" her to use FoF/CoT/BoI first before running out to kill monsters.

Remaining pts can be into your SW, FoF or even DS for a bigger CE range.

4. nobo

nobo IncGamers Member

hmmm...

- i think kick skills are suboptimal for elemental-sins because of the knockback.
    - FoF would be a good backup skill.
    - you could spend points in PS so you can choose between 3 elemental attacks (and with 2 itd claws you can attack fast with chain lightning)
    - or you could go hybrid and spend some (or 1) point(s) in death sentry.
    - i dont have any experiences with SW or SM, sry.
    - 1 pt in CoS and mindblast will give you some crowd control.
    - i dont have any experiences with bladeskills too.

5. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Thanks for your comments.
    - when i said SW, I meant SW. I prefer it to SM with this build. (neato damage when i take advantage of the synergy, also i can pick the aura for her)
    - DS doesn't sound bad...but it gives the same elemental that i already have, so it would not be a big help either for the points invested.
    - maxing Fade would certainly make me feel like my BoS3 being a huge waste, besides with all the +skillers it gives enough +resist for me. (the extra phys resist would be nice maybe though)
    - CoS i already have, just forgot to mention it(1pts is optimal here)
    - MindBlast I don't have but i may pick it up along the way (1pts as well)
    - as for kicks, i will probably invest 1pt in Dflight as suggested and use it as a tactical skill more than a main damage dealer.
    - I think my 1 pt Venom was a great investement. (If i understand right how it works, it deals all the poison damage i get from gear/charms during the very short duration of the skill itself. for a single point that is nifty)
    - I will take your advice, and skip the stylish, but not so useful blade skills

6. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

You can still do just fine. but you have already "wasted" points, so be careful what you spend later. Unless you can have 7k+ AR in hell, you will need a little more CM, depending on your gear. CM is not for damage, but for AR, just remember that. Mine MA sin has 9k+, and I feel I still need few K more.

Venom is waste of your skill point in this build, it has very little use, if nothing at all. WB should be a one point only skill, but BoS is not wasted at all, you may use it most of time.

spend 5 points to get DS is very wise, its CE is what makes it "must have". MB is the best crowd controll skill in game, CoS is very handy against certain groups (eg gloams).

You don't have skill points to waste, so don't go kick and blade.

7. DeathMaster

other than traper, no assassin use DS for its lightning damage. It is great for the CE part, in hell P1, CE is godly.

8. LOCO

LOCO IncGamers Member

go for BoI as a synergy for pheonix. my ice queen is lvl47 and has barely recieved even a scratch yet, but unless your going to use it as your main attack(which you probably wont as youve already gone for CoT) then FoF would be a better investment.

also with fade, unless you want the physical resist bad then only put a few points in it due to the diminishing returns you get.

9. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

That's fine for SC and/or MP, but in HC and/or SP (where you're the only one who goes to the front to take point) you would value SM more as a more durable tank.

DS Corpse Explosion deals fire and physical damage. As mentioned earlier the lightning isn't the beauty of this skill. DS was nerfed some in 1.10, but I still find it useful.

I find MindBlast worth the 1pt in MP & SP.

That's not quite how it works. If all your poison gear/charms do 400 over 4seconds, then Venom will turn those charms into 40 over .4seconds. The only exception to this is with PoisonDagger skill (and *maybe* other Poison skills), apparently a Necro's PoisonDagger does wonders with Venom charges.

10. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

One more tip. DC is a nice finisher, two chances to land a hit + AR bonus for 2 pts.

I'd wait on pumping any shadow skill until you need it (i.e. Hell, when you have your end game equip and you know your +skills contribution). +3 shadow claws are available and should be obtained shopping Helll Anya.

I have a +2 skills elite claw with +1 DS that I used for my elemental build and that saved some points (she didn't use the dual claws so maybe not ideal for your situation.

11. Tal Rasha's Jock Strap

Tal Rasha's Jock Strap IncGamers Member

There is an issue with CoT however, where because of the nextdelay timer not all of the charges do damage when the monsters are right next to you. The knockback from dragon tail allows for enough of a delay between the nova and charged bolts so that all of the charges hit.

12. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

True enough. On the other hand i often use the second charge attack (nova), so i can release on every second hit instead of every third. And with nova there is no such issue.
    As for +skillers I already have 2 Bartucs, not necesseraly the optimal weapons for this build, but i don't find it likely that i will find anything better anytime soon. I also have +2 martial/+1 all from the rest of my gear, and i don't even have a +skiller amulet on yet. So i think even without finding godly/optimal gear i will have plenty of +skills by hell, and that is especially why i feel that puting 3 points in WB was a huge waste. (I am not sure yet about restarting or not...with a bit of twinking it shouldn't be long before i am lev45 again) As for the kick skills, i want them for the shadow (so i can have a finisher on my right click that i am not using actively in melee - see the discussion in the assasin forum) so i will probably invest 1 point in each. I realize SM has better tanking capabilities, but i hope my merc will be enough of a tank for SP...I really want to try this build with the SW (for a very profound "just because" reason). I take your word on CM and wait till i see a final or close to final gear and i can decide on whether i need extra AR or not.
    As for 5 points for CE, sounds like a big investment for me, but as far as i can see there is a general agreement among all of you who posted here that it'd be worth it, so i will go ahead and invest.
    Once again, thanks for all your useful suggestions.

13. DeathMaster

You'd better start now, if you really want to start over. later, you won't be able to do it.

About to get DS, just hold 5 points, and wait until hell. If you feel some areas (eg. raising undead, great mummy + Ok packs + gloams ...) are too hard to pass because they keep raise undead (the worst of all, gloams, OKs are all undead) faster than you can kill, then drop 1 point to DS, and watch the firework. It work great in Tal's tomb, and other tight place with a lot of things you need to kill.

My own MA sin use DS as WMD in certain areas (after first few bodies drop).

Remember, CE is half physical/half fire. and assassin is the only other clase you can CE without using charges from item. Great to get ride of corpse, and great for mass killing @P1.

7k+ AR will give you about 70% chance to hit in hell, assasin use BoS, so the speed can make up the number.

Edit: your damage means nothing if you cannot land the hit. slightly lower damage but more hit > one big damage, but cannot land it.