Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Druids, Oaths and Iron Golems

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Xalit, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Xalit

Xalit IncGamers Member

Druids, Oaths and Iron Golems

After searching a bunch of threads, and the Golem sticky in the necro thread, I think I'm set, but maybe not all of this information is correct...

1. I'm a Druid. I equip nothing but Oath. I make an Iron Golem. I unequip the Oath. The IG dies, right?

2. I'm a Druid. I equip nothing but Oath and a Stone armour (because it has charges of Clay Golem - which are the same class as IG's?). I make an Iron Golem. I unequip the Oath. The IG continues to live, right?

3. I'm a Druid. I have an Iron Golem running around next to me. I exit the game and make a new game. The Iron Golem dies, right? (regardless of if I have an Oath or Stone on when leaving and remaking).

FWIW, I'm making a pure summon Druid. I would like a Reapers Toll IG to decrepify for me so that I can equip my merc with Pride. But it seems I could only do this if I had a stockpile of several hundred Reapers to make a new one each game. But before I resign myself to yet another Might merc using Reapers, I figured I'd investigate this as an alternative.

Cheers in advance.

2. Vakarrona

Vakarrona IncGamers Member

Minions from charges collapse when you change/unequip the item that has it's charges. Also iron golems are gone forever when you exit game. Only necro with invested points in iron golem can have the same iron golem run between games.

3. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

I would suggest putting a lacerator (ideal) or wws on switch for physical immunes. With a high level of HoW you should still be able to hit stuff. I know my pure physical summoner was able to in hell.

4. Xalit

Xalit IncGamers Member

Yup, considered Lacerators. They have ugly requirements, and I'd really rather be using a Beast runeword than having to throw axes around to trigger a -physical curse. Really I just wanted to be absolutely sure I couldn't have an Iron Golem doing the work of Reapers Toll.

I'm curious. Which pets do you make the most use out of? (lest this be moved to the Druid forum, you could include some statistical analysis of why :p). So far Spirit Wolves are proving surprisingly effective!

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If you have a druid who can make an iron golem from his skills and from Oath, you have two iron golem skill icons IIRC - one from your skill, one from Oath. If you summon an iron golem with your skill, it won't disappear between games. If you summon it with your Oath weapon, it will disappear between games and when you unequip or switch the weapon.

BTW, Oath is commonly made into ethereal weapons, so you can't recharge it, even though it's indestructible. The cube recipe won't work either. In addition, Oath comes with a random starting number of skill charges. That makes Oath a poor source of skill charges.

6. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

Ya, I'ld rather be using beast too. If you have beast I would use that as primary and only switch to Lacerator/WWS for amp when you came across PI's.

I actually find I used Spirit Wolves the most upto around act 3 hell. And Grizzly for bigger bosses. There were situations where I used dire wolves, but it was more sparingly and only in late hell.

7. Xalit

Xalit IncGamers Member

Thanks for the comments.

I was quietly hoping that there was some hush hush method that would allow me to borrow an Oath and use one charge to get myself a Reaper-Golem that I could magically take from game to game. I was sure there wasn't, but I wanted to make sure before I made any final decisions.

If I ever made an Oath, I'd make it ethereal. Damage is king, and, uh, I dislike having to repair weapons. WW barbs trying to clear the River of Flame with weapons that break is a painful experience of regular and expensive repairs!

As for the Druid, well, I think I'll probably stick around in late NM and very early Act I hell for quite a while, until my merc is 75. Then I'll be able to play through areas with lots of ghosts (not to mention I'll have all my own +skill gear on!) - the one great thing about Druid summons is that they can be spammed, which is often quite wonderful. Enough Decrep and enough spamming and I should be good! Just the occasional stoneskin boss I'll just have to hide from!