Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Druid idea

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by YoungDbl, Sep 24, 2006.

1. YoungDbl

YoungDbl IncGamers Member

Druid idea

Hey all ,
    I have an idea for a druid I want to build and run baal with in hell for items and to reach level 99. The stats are
    -Enough strenght to use a heavy maul
    -Enough dex for a heavy maul
    -Rest into vit
    -Base energy

Skills would be like this
    20-Bear
    20-lycan
    20-maul
    20-shockwave
    20-HoW
    1-Bear
    rest in prerequisites.

Mercenary - Might merc.
    Gear- Mostly CB and enough IAS to reach 5fps with a maul like windhammer.
    With a little mana leech.

The main idea would be to stun everything for 13 seconds base level 20 shockwave then use maul to knock things down. I would use it to run baal to reach level 99 and to aquire the upper end of the grail. I would use him and run pindle for the other items. I understand the running would be a little harder then most cookie cutter builds. Thats the fun part of it though. Do you think its viable?

-Softcore
    -Vanilla
    -Untwinked

Thanks for any input
    -dbl

2. Tensaiga

Tensaiga IncGamers Member

You might have a mite of trouble recruting a mite merc so might I suggest that you might want to recruit a might merc instead?

You should also realize if you are going through with this that werebears, while fun by all means, are NOT fast killers, especially untwinked when you can't get their aspd or crushing blow through the roof. You will definatly be able to SURVIVE things, but you...er...excuse me...MIGHT have some trouble killing them fast enough to warrant running things with him.

3. YoungDbl

Lol I get the hint im a horrible speller ok ok. Now that were over that..
    The running' baal isnt really the idea. I dont care if it takes 20 minutes per run. Im not doing it for speed by any means. Its more for a long drawed out quest and I have no problem running normal - nightmare - or hell checkpoints for items to venture further. Might merc ... got'cha :hang:

Any other input?

4. noobintraining

noobintraining Banned

Looks promising! I've always used werewolf druids and never a werebear, but they do look fun.

I have only a few thoughts, and you may want to disregard them since I'm a total n00b:

1. If using Maul as your primary attack (shockwave, maul, shockwave, maul) a maxed out Maul skill gived +210% attack rating. With that much AR, added to the AR you'll already have from dexterity and items; you may have no need for a maxed Heart of the Wolverine. A maxed Oak Sage might be more helpful.

Here's what you might consider: Max out all your other wanted skills before putting any points in either of the spirits. Then decide if you want more life from Oak Sage, or if you need more AR from Heart of the Wolverine; and start putting points into whichever one you choose.

2. Everybody loves the increased damage from a might mercenary, but a Holy Freeze merc would slow down any enemies nearby, meaning you might not have to rely upon shockwave as much. Luckily, this is another aspect of the game you can experiment with without re-rollong your druid. Try a Holy Freeze, and if he doesn't work out, get a Might one instead. Just remember to take his equipment off before buying hiring a new one!

3. I have to be honest...I'm terrified of building a character without any elemental damage, like you'd get from Fire Claws. How do you plan on dealing with PIs? Unfortunately, the only way you'd ever get enough damage from Fire Claws is to max it and it's synergies. And doing that would mean re-planning your entire build, so obviously I won't suggest it.

4. Have fun, and keep us updated on your progress!

5. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

You don't have to go nuts on fireclaws. I think 20 into fireclaws and 20 into one synergy should be useful enough. The fireclaw bonus from synergies is HUGE. If you maxed everything out you'd be doing like 10,000 damage, which is overkill. Optimally you wouldn't have to learn fireclaws at all, using sources of elemental damage but that's sometimes hard to get untwinked unless you spend time shopping/gambling for good elemental mods.

6. noobintraining

noobintraining Banned

Yeah, that was my thought...playing untwinked he might have a hard time getting good elemental damage.

7. Kylome

Kylome IncGamers Member

If you plan on using a huge maul then you have no need for any dex. If you find a nice axe you don't need much either. Its polearms, spears, and swords that you need the dex for.

On the other hand if I were to give my honest opinion I would suggest a one handed build with a sword/mace/axe and shield as your primary attack. Druids get 2 hp per point in vit if I remember correctly. So max block would help more than a couple hundred extra hps (not including synergy ofcourse but since you are looking at HOW instead of Oak then the hp bonus wouldn't be that great from maxing vit over block)

8. Muzzy Roberto

Muzzy Roberto IncGamers Member

Shockwave is affected by FCR, not IAS. A little FCR makes the shockwavin' that much faster. Just a little FYI. Maybe find some good 'caster' weapons for switch?

9. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

Maybe you should try the wolf druid. I hear rabies nowadays is pretty amazing; a character with poison and physical damage can kill just about everything. Poison also negates the need for open wounds/prevent monster heal. I think it'd be more interesting than the shockwave bear, but the shockwave bear is indeed safer in certain circumstances where you shock the crap out of super annoying enemies (charging claw vipers, frenzytaurs, etc -_-)

10. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

Looks good. Be aware, however, that while Windhammer and the IK-maul are excellent werebear weapons they are not good enough if the goal is to running Baal for XP.

20 hard points in Shock Wave is overkill. Consider putting some points in Dire Wolf to enhance your Grizzly instead. Might merc is the way to go.

CB is a good idea. You'll not reach 5fpa with Windhammer though. It's 40%OIAS for 7fpa and 179%OIAS for 6fpa. Aside from CB aim for resistances, resistances, resistances, leech, life, skills, ed, DS and Laying of Hands.

I'm afraid I have to say no. First off, playing untwinked vanilla there's no reasonable chance of getting a weapon that is good enough for running baal at higher player settings. Secondly, it's a very hard to squeeze in some decent MF in this build. You'll still find a lot of good items along the way but hardly the better part of the grail, if you're not very lucky. This is of course still doable but we have to fully appreciate the time scope considered here. Will you be playing this game for that long? Will this forum still be here? Will d3 be out? How old will your children be? :smiley:

I've taken on similar quests and then realized it isn't worth it. I couldn't keep the interest up for long enough and I couldn't put down enough hours per day to make it within a reasonable time limit.

Let me also respond to some other replies here. HoW and Might merc is the way to go, the damage and AR will be needed. Rabies and Fire Claws are not good ideas for baalrunning. They'll do as much good as Artic Blast would. :wink3:

/Kefir

11. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

At first I want to made a few comments, but the last Kefir's post covered all I wanted to say. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Maybe one more point - Iron Maiden :hide:

12. YoungDbl

Well im not really to worried about PI becuase amp charges or decrep charges will take care of that most of the time. The only reason I am maxing out shockwave is for the overkill , I like the idea of having a stun for over 10 seconds. When I have to deal with immunes that I cant brake or certain boss's that look extra bad , I can just stun them and hope the bear can run fast enough to get away. Also I woudnt be running baal for items it would be for experience. The items along the way might just help keep me motivated. Now every one seems to think untwinked would be near-impossible with this build and it does scare me. I want a build based around the stun tactics though. I would of made a 2handed zerker barb but I hate the fact that zerk wont leech mana and a level 20 warcry only stuns for like 4 seconds. Im not really aware of any other builds that work around the stun factor so does any one else? I dont dare mention the other build I was going to take on , if you dont think this one is doable...

OT: If a zerk barb has a maul with high pysichal damage will that mana leech enough for the cost of zerk?

EDIT: Stun factor......Paladin.....Smite hybrid.....:scratch: .....Work with me!

13. YoungDbl

Ok instead of flooding the front page with my threads I decided to combine all my stuff into this thread. First a question from a different thread. How do I calculate defence?

2,000 base defence
    +290% from shout
    +220% iron skin
    +290% from conc
    -----------
    ????
    -----------
    + lets say ( 45% ed from items )
    + 60% from plus skills to shout,ironskin,and conc
    -----------
    ????

Is this mainly just calculator work or is there a equation?

Second instead of the druid build I was thinking about this barb build.
    20 iron skin
    20 axe mastery
    20 conc
    20 bo
    20 shout
    1 battle cry
    1 natural resist
    1 berserk
    1 find item
    1 leap attack
    5 pre requisites.

The idea would to have huge defence and rely on conc for psyichal damage. The 1 point zerk would be for PI becuase it seems to have some nice boosts even at level one.

Also im wondering about any builds for a pally that could work around
    20 smite
    20 holy shield
    and I dont know what else would be used there. The barb idea I really like but is it possible to reach high defence with him? Also with a naj staff or a teleport charge item do you think with a full inv of mf charms and maybe a little bit of mf items totaling around 200-300% could work meph in hell for a little bit of goodies?

EDIT: or hell baal for experience? Or even pindle for experience? Becuase from what I gathered hell meph experience mellows out QUICK! :hang:

14. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

I'm just curious by what you mean when you say amp/decrep charges will help you against physical immunes. There are no wands that you can naturally buy that offer that. Only the unique martel de fur has charges of amp (3 charges of level 8) otherwise you need proccing uniques like atma's scarab or reaper's toll, which will take a long time to find since you're untwinked.

15. YoungDbl

There are wands with charges of amp and decrep. You can find them or purchase them. That really isnt important any more as the druid was already ruled out any ways.

16. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

1) Zerk doesn't leach - but +mana kill per kill and damage taken goes to mana items will help.

2) I'm guessing the %enhanced defence will be additive so it will be 2000 def +800ed = 18k defence.

3) The barb build looks solid - you are being a bit generous with the amount of skills available - I would say build it like that but without the Iron Skin, and when the main skills are maxed and you have a point in all the 1 point wonders then put the rest in Iron Skin.

4) You basically want to make a Smiter - check out the Pally Build guides - there are loads of smiter builds around now thanks to the Uber Trist quest, there should be one or two with budget gear guides.

The smiter would probably be a better Meph runner as Smite is auto hit and all you really need is a bit of CB.

17. YoungDbl

Well I see what you mean with being generous to skills. The character im designing is to be a quest for level 99. So I am planning the skills out to level 99 of course. The defence does work how I was hoping and it looks pretty good to me. The lack of AR will be made up with charms like Steel gc's of ....
    Zerk may not leech but with the build im going to use conc will. So zerk is for PI and IM. Now for a name....Also to get signed up for the quest for level 99.

18. Kefir-Tribe

I don't want to sound harsh but I honestly think that you would be better off with the werebear. While Concentrate barb is a very stable build, a weapon with fantastic damage is needed to kill fast enough (if such a weapon even exists).

19. YoungDbl

Well this build woudnt be untwinked. So I guess all that is left is a name.

20. Kefir-Tribe

I don't think Concentrate is a good idea for a twinked 99 runner either. What's your planned setup?