Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Druid Help!

Discussion in 'Druid' started by greenmannn, Apr 15, 2008.

1. greenmannn

greenmannn IncGamers Member

Druid Help!

i am currently making a minion druid(skills only in the wolves, bear, carrion vine and a spirit) but i dont know which spirit is better, i really dont wanna use oak sage so ive got it down to spirit of the wolverine and spirit of barbs. They both sound like there good but im wondering what would be better for my specific character. btw what im trying to do is create a kind of barbarian with high strength and vital. but only with minions

2. jasonmazzy

jasonmazzy IncGamers Member

Re: Druid Help!

barbs does jackcrap!

3. greenmannn

thanks...then ill stick with wolverines, and other advice for summoner druids?

4. PacoQuerak

PacoQuerak IncGamers Member

omg lol, clearly won't be a barbarian

5. Mitch Turnbuckle

Mitch Turnbuckle IncGamers Member

Hello,

Heart of Wolverine is a great boost for either type of wolf. Compared to the Grizzly the wolves have lower life, so added life is less helpful. However, based on their numbers they have a similar damage output - so increasing their damage actually helps them more than the Grizzly because they are multiplying the effect by 3X or 5X. You will also have to recast Wolves a fair amount at higher difficulties regardless of what spirit you use. Therefore you might as well use Heart of Wolverine for them and increase their ability to deal damage.

Oak Sage is better for the Grizzly exclusively as it gives it huge tanking abilities because of the Grizzly's innately high life. The Grizzly has a lot more life per damage ratio than either type of wolf. So while Heart of Wolverine will increase it's damage by a similar amount to that of the wolves, Oak Sage will increase the Grizzly's life by WAY more than the wolves (life per wolf X number of wolves).

Spirit of Barbs should not be used until you have THOROUGHLY researched the build you are attempting to use it with. It probably could be used, but not without the addition of Edge, Bramble, Amplify damage or Iron Maiden (ie. make a Necromancer for a damage return build). Another way to look at it is to just look around the forums and see how many damage return builds there are. Then remember that Spirit of Barbs is the worst damage return skill out of all of those used, in any build, from any class.

6. PacoQuerak

but you can allways recast the bear so who needs more life on him?
    someone using an edge bow and a bramble sitting next to the blood moore, tat's who.

7. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Except... we're talking PvM? I'm a fan of Dire Wolves myself, using Bear only for bosses.

8. greenmannn

u seem to know LOT bout druids, so what would be the best way to make a minion druid without skills in either shapechanging or elemental

9. superjayson

superjayson IncGamers Member

read the stickies. theres a few summoning guides that you may find interesting.

10. PacoQuerak

what i meant was the only reason you would need oak is for pvp. Except mabee if you want to increase your own survivability. However HOW better helps you to help your minions with say a faith bow or something...

11. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Iono. Both stack marginally with your summons so either or shouldn't really matter. Besides, if you're using Faith the damage bonus from HoW is reduced even further. If you're on the back lines I'd suggest Oak because it's a more party friendly spirit and it won't kamikaze at that distance. Again, it's really just a matter of preference.

12. Mitch Turnbuckle

Mitch Turnbuckle IncGamers Member

Hello,

"so what would be the best way to make a minion druid without skills in either shapechanging or elemental"

To try and answer your question, if you do not want points in either other tree, then it is pretty simple. . .

? - Raven (As many as are necessary to have 5 ravens on screen at all times. Befitting of a proper summoning Druid)
    1 - Carrion Vine (Unrivaled utility)
    20 - Spirit Wolves
    20 - Dire Wolves
    20 - Grizzly
    20 - Spirit of your choosing.
    20+ skills remaining for you to use

1 - Carrion Wind Unique Ring. Among other things, 15 charges level 22 Poison Creeper (Achieve the same effect of spending 20 points on the skill, without doing it)

This way you can change your summons around to suit your needs or the situation at hand and each are powerful. All points in Wolves and/or Grizzly synergize the others. Obviously you would want some Act II mercenary of your choosing for the party beneficial aura. Then go with a powerful bow and be a Hunter type build.

Versahiden is right, the Spirit choice is a all a matter of preference. I just personally think that Oak Sage better synergizes* with Grizzly and Heart of Wolverine better synergizes* with the Wolves.

*not implying in-game synergy