Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Druid build idea - Workable for HC?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by neumein, May 13, 2008.

1. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Druid build idea - Workable for HC?

Since my restart/conversion to HC, I've been re-working various builds on my to-do list for HC use. Seeing that the best offense is a good defense in HC (you can't hurt anything if you're dead :wink3:).

I wanted to call the build a WindWalker, but that one was taken, so far now, the build will be called a WindWolf. He's basically a Windy/Wolf hybrid, using Cyclone Armour/Hurricane for their defensive properties, and having a semi-decent tornado to use when things get dicey, other than that, It will be a low-ish investment into the shapeshifting skills, with some nice lvl5 ravens to "spot-cast" when needed.

Skill outline:
    20 Cyclone Armour
    20 Tornado
    20 Hurricane
    5 Werewolf
    5 Lycanthropy
    5 Fury
    5 Raven
    + rest into;
    -> Grizzly, an extra tank never hurts
    -> Oak Sage, more life is good, but it's suicidal tendencies seem HC-unfriendly
    -> Combo of Lycan/Wind synergies

As for gear, mine will be pretty much untwinked, but a more wealthy player would probably go for the usual Windy gear, plus some DR, some nice life leech, and a decent hurty stick (Ribby comes to mind)

Workable or Waste of time? Begin.

2. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Re: Druid build idea - Workable for HC?

It should be doable, however, there will be a problem with your gear of choice.

with low investment in SS tree, your wolf and fury won't be strong. And you cannot cast spells (I believe only one useless lvl30 spell can be casted in wolf/bear form) in wolf form, it will be at least very very annoying with switching your cast (human) and fury (wolf). I guess your primary gears will be melee, which is not very caster friendly, which means your wind skill isn't going to be very strong either.

It will be very interesting build, but not easy going as far as I can think of.

3. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

Definately workable. Right now I'm doing an untwinked windy in HC, and I've had a couple of NDE, but I literally just charge into whatever, I don't play it safe at all. I just got to hell and Hurricane + cyclone armor is ridiculous at keeping you safe. My bet is you'll start out as a fury wolf but will probably convert to a full time wind druid in late NM.

My only suggestion would be to maybe just have one or two in raven, and more in grizzly and dire wolf for the beginning. My grizzly is a really good tank (decent damage doer too) and you can cast him or wolves as scouts too.

What merc were you planning on using? I'm still using prayer, just because it's a good source of healing and I have no use for might or HF, but you could use either.

4. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Well, if he intended to follow his plan, it will be very different picture. cyclone armor won't last long in the heart of melee battle, hurricane requires regular recast. Both are not easy for him. He has to shift back to human form, cast two spells, then shift back to wolf. You don't do this sort of thing while melee, which means he has to use hit and run just for recast.

It is possible that your prediction will become true, but then the points in wolf and fury would be a waste.

5. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Just too many things going on in this build, I think, though it sounds fun. Personally, I don't see why Blizz made it so druids couldn't cast while in were form... would've been more fun.

1. Windies need lots of points for synergies, which doesn't leave much for summons in a standard build... and it certainly doesn't leave room for summons *and* shapeshifting skills. You'll be more successful with better summons and no SS skills.

2. Re-casting spells will be a pain, as mentioned.

3. That said, if you're just going for novelty, heck, give it a try!

6. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Ive built something very close to this before after a bit of getting used to it the shift and cast gets easier and over all the build works though mine was a bit different. It does get a bit fustrating just how fast in melee that your cyclone armor is used up