Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

druid build decision

Discussion in 'Druid' started by andyishuge, Feb 15, 2004.

1. andyishuge

andyishuge IncGamers Member

druid build decision

I'm starting a new druid, and as I see it I have 3 choices.

1. Werebear: Obviously this build is stronger and has more health than the werewolf, but I've built one up to about level 12, and, as I'm used to strafe/hammers with a 125% FCR, the bear's slow attack speed really bothers me. I know this can be remedied with IAS items, but I dont have a MF character, so these can be hard to come by.

2. Werewolf: This build appeals more to me because it's faster and has the zeal-like ability, but I know it's not as strong and doesnt get as much of a health bonus as the werebear.

3. Elementalist or Summoner: I've heard that wind druids are the best way to go, so I'm leaning towards this right now. Dont know how they match up against shapeshifters though. I was also wondering if there are any viable summoning builds.

thanks in advance --

2. SCaVeNGeR

SCaVeNGeR IncGamers Member

Werebear's attack can be very fast with a 110% ias phase blade, 4x shael + 2x15ias + other stat. Or just 6x shael if u can't get decent jewels. I just made one on single player to try out the speed and it is CRAZY fast...

SCaVeNGeR

3. andyishuge

ahh yeah I figured that was true, but like I said in my post I dont have a MF character so that stuff can be very hard to come by/trade for.

4. GIR

GIR Banned

I just tried to make a Fireclaws bear. Got to level 20. Scraped it though, I wasn't really diggin' it. Just my take.

5. VictusMetuo

VictusMetuo IncGamers Member

Bear: You don't need incredible funds to make a Bear for PvM. You can get some good weapons pretty cheap. You wouldn't want a 110% Phase for PvM anyway, unless you were a Fire Claws Bear. Either way, Shaels are pretty easy to come by, and you don't really have to have Mod/IAS jewels, they are just better for the weapon.

Wolf: If you haven't made a Shapeshifter before, then this is the easier of the two to use when starting out.

Summoner: There are different ones, but probably the ideal Summoner would be a Hunter or Huntermentalist. This is a Druid that uses a bow, accompanied by Summons and a Fire Skill or two if a Huntermentalist.

Elementalist: These got a huge improvement in the new patch, obviously with 125% FCR you could make a decent build.

It's all what you want to do, all can work very well. The easiest to play as your first Druid would be a Wolf or Elementalist.

6. cyid

cyid IncGamers Member

i have read a bit about the wind druid and fire druid.. but mostly everything that is posted is about pvp.. im not into pvp yet, im still messing around with pvm with some local friends. so my question is.. are wind druids, fire druids (or a mix of the two) any good for pvm? i started a wind druid following fenis' guide and he can barely take out anything.. of course, i didnt deck him out in all twinked gear, but i did just get him some magefists and a helm that was +3 to dire wolves and those have been killing for me. but do i start doing good anytime soon?

7. andyishuge

Hey thanks for all the help guys. You all reply about 6x as fast as the chumps on planetdiablo.

Anyways, I've decided to go with werewolf. I'm gonna max werewolf, lycanthropy, fury, and probobly oak sage (or whatever the one that increases your life is). I'll probobly put some into cyclone armor and possibly carrion vine as well. Any other suggestions would be great.

Also, where's a good place for me to hunt if I am looking for a phase blade and shael runes. Should I wait till I'm higher level and do nightmare bhaal runs, or are there any other good spots?

8. VictusMetuo

PvM you don't really want a 1-Handed weapon, you want a nice big 2-Hander that's fairly fast.

9. VVanker79

VVanker79 IncGamers Member

Cyclone armor isn't such a bad idea, but those points could probably be better used elsewhere. And only put a point or two into Carrion Vine. I'd also put 5-10 into rage.

As for a weapon, IMO one of the best attainable pvm weapons is a ribcracker. You'll want to upgrade it and then sheal it. A perfect ribcracker can get expensive, but you should be able to get a decent one for a mid-level rune or two. (just incase you want to mf a ribcracker, Baal(n/nm/h) Meph (nm/h) and Diablo (nm/h) all have about the same chance to drop one)

10. andyishuge

Hey thanks again. I have two newbie questions for you though (been playing d2 for a while, but just got the expansion about 2 weeks ago). First off, why does my druid attack slower in werewolf form than in human form, even though he gets the bonus to attack speed? Also, how do you upgrade a weapon? =P

thanks for the help.

11. VictusMetuo

Go to the stickies and read TheDragoon's guide to that Wereform, it explains everything.

12. andyishuge

thanks again, guide helped a lot.