Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Drop Rate of Greater Rift Keystones

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Elly, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Elly

Elly Administrator

What's the rate at which you are getting these from regular Rift Guardians?

It seems that the first regular rift you do you get a greater stone drop but then after RNG must kick in. Kyndig in the ptr clan has done 11 rifts just now and got 1 key only on the first.

Edit - My drop rate is:

Nephalem Rifts - 9
    Greater Rift Keystone - 3

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    kyndig likes this.
  2. kyndig

kyndig Diabloii.Net Member

Has anyone tried throwing away there higher level GR fragments to see if having that in your stash is preventing the drop?

3. darkrealm

darkrealm IncGamers Site Pal

I have not, but I do heave several...so might try this later ...

4. Flux

Flux Administrator

GRKs are random drops from normal rift guardians. Seems to be totally random, without even influence from difficulty level. These from normal rift guardians will only ever drop at GR lvl 1. I did 6 rifts the first night of the PTR and got zero GRKs. Other people did 2 rifts and got 2 of them. Just luck of the drop.

GRKs are guaranteed drops from a GR guardian if you kill it within the 15m time limit. You'll always get a key for at least one level higher, and it seems that about each minute you are ahead of the 15m earns you an extra level on your key. So if you finish a level 10 GR with 10 seconds to spare, you'll earn a lvl 11 GRK. If you do it with 3:10 left on the 15m timer, you'll earn a lvl 13 GR. If you do it with 8 minutes to spare, you'll earn a lvl 18 GR. Etc.

Currently each character in the rift gets a GRK for each character in the game. Thus in a 4p game you'd all get 4 GRKs, and then only need to spend one each to do the next GR. This is presumed to be a bug.

If you're getting up near your character's upper limit, it's a bad idea to kill one too quickly, say if you get a really easy monster spawn. Since then you might jump up higher than you can deal with. Nothing wrong with killing a few minutes before you finish the guardian, if you don't want to advance too quickly.

5. Flux

Flux Administrator

Amend previous post; it's not 1 minute per GR level. Seems more like 90 seconds, or maybe it decreases as you advance?

• I completed a lvl 1 with 9:17 remaining and got a lvl 8 GRK.
    • I completed a lvl 8 with 7:02 remaining, and got a lvl 12GRK.

Why 4 levels different with just 2:15 different time? Maybe it's somewhat randomized, or else decreases in the increase? Video I watched a 3 player party beat a level 21 with about 6m remaining and jumped up to L25. I haven't done enough of them to tell if the amount higher level key you get is directly tied to your time, or if it's got some randomized wiggle room.

As for finding them from normal rifts, I went 0-8, then found 2 in 4 rifts. so I'm 2/12 overall. Most of those done solo T1.

6. Gantie

Gantie Diabloii.Net Member

11 rifts and no greater rift keys.

7. Tigerpaw

Tigerpaw Diabloii.Net Member

I haven't done much rifting at all in the PTR so far, but I've had very good drop rate for GRKs – I've found 2 GRKs and only completed 3 normal Rifts at T1/T4.

8. mrcnortheast

mrcnortheast Diabloii.Net Member

I've completed 5 rifts in the PTR, and only gotten 1 GRK, so 1/5 for me. Not sure if it matters but I got the GRK on T1.

9. DaneelOlivaw

DaneelOlivaw Diabloii.Net Member

My "chart" is from 3 days of play last weekend:
    Saturday June 28: 5/5
    Sunday June 29: 0/7
    Monday June 30: 1/2
    All efforts were T1

10. DaneelOlivaw

DaneelOlivaw Diabloii.Net Member

"As for finding them from normal rifts, I went 0-8, then found 2 in 4 rifts. so I'm 2/12 overall. Most of those done solo T1."

I am in somewhat the same boat... 13 T1 and T3 solo runs without a GRK drop. Then a T2 duo and a level 0 drop... now I have 6 more T1/T2 duo/solo runs and Nada, ZIP, Bumkus!!! Blizzard needs to work on some sort of standardization!

11. phaedrus

phaedrus Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Could some of you on the PTR answer a question for me? (I'm not on the PTR and am living vicariously through your exploits).

My understanding is that

(1) the only drops in the GR are from the Rift Guardian
    (2) the Rift Guardian regularly drops multiple legendaries
    (3) the quality of legendary drops from the Rift Guardian is independent of the difficulty level
    (4) the faster you complete the rift, the higher your next GR difficulty level

It would seem to me, if you wanted to optimize the amount of loot you received from a given GR sequence, that the best approach would be to dawdle through the lower rift difficulties so as to progress up in one or two difficulty level steps, rather than blast through and skip numerous rift difficulties.

As an example, assuming my character could do a level 25 GR, a progression like 1-11-18-23-25 would yield dramatically less loot than 1-3-5-7 (up to 25), etc.

What am I missing here? Are you not doing GR for the loot? If not, what is the goal of GR (aside from bragging rights about how far you progressed)?

12. spelunk

spelunk Diabloii.Net Member

I'd been thinking largely along the same lines as phaedrus on GRs. A more specific question about this; are 'torment only' legendaries/set pieces dropping on the tier1-t6 GRs, that are theoretically supposed to be around normal to master level difficulty?

13. PowerDispatcher

PowerDispatcher Diabloii.Net Member

Are trial keys dropping in 2.1. Some people are reporting none are. Is it bad luck with RNG or a bug?

14. phaedrus

phaedrus Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Must be bad luck. I got one on my fourth T2 rift.

15. KnitePrince

KnitePrince Diabloii.Net Member

Currently in excess of 50 Rift keystones and have done dozens of rifts.. The only GRK I have ever gotten was the first one.
    Is there something special your supposed to do to get them? Currently playing Master level games on two different characters...

16. KnitePrince

KnitePrince Diabloii.Net Member

We moved up to Torment, and our first Rift Guardian dropped grater keys.. So apparently TORMENT is where gaming begins for D3