Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Drinking terminology

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by pepperisadog, Oct 11, 2006.

1. pepperisadog

pepperisadog IncGamers Member

Drinking terminology

ok so I've been hearing different terminology for many different amounts of drinking and I wanted to know what is the norm or average that most people accept when talking about alcohol consumption.

What I've heard and seen on the internet is that..

1shot=anywhere from 1-2 ounces
    1 beer=1.25 ounces of 80 proof liquor=4-5 ounces of wine

beer in the U.S. is normally 4.5-5% alcohol while Liquor normally ranges from 12.5% to 60% alcohol with 40-45% being the most common.

Now I've also heard people claiming they drank a fifth of vodka or something. Now I have found that a fifth is something like 25 ounces. So I guess I am wondering if my calculations and measurements are correct and is this that way most people measure how much they are drinking? Have I forgotten anything? Discuss

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

A fifth is 750 mL. Very doable for a college guy with a self destructive streak and an alcohol problem.

But the real question is: "Can you handle a handle??"

3. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I believe a fifth is doable, but over what period of time? I drank more than half a fifth of whiskey in about 4 hours, and ended up stoopid drunk and blacking out for periods of time.

4. SuggestiveName

I've done more than my share of fifths and the general timeframe is "in a night." How long that is depends on many variables, uncountably infinitely many, actually. (Or at least I haven't found a way to list them, where's Cantor when you need him?)

But seriously, dinner-time to pass-out time. So, like, 8-9 hours, at least.

5. ModeratelyConfused

Ok, so it seems that if I spaced it out in about 8-9 hours, I too could finish off a fifth. I don't know whether to be proud or sad...

6. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Actually... 1 shot = one ounce. A double is two ounces.

The general rule of thumb is 1 beer = 1 shot = 1 glass of wine = 1 mixed drink. There are different various sized glasses for the different drinks, so that this generally works out.

A mixed drink (at least here in Ontario, Canada) will have between one ounce and two ounces of alcohol, plus whatever is being mixed in. I believe there's a law that states that a bar can't sell a mixed drink with more than two ounces of alcohol in it... not that bars listen, really, they just don't go ridiculously overboard. Besides, they'd lose money if they put too much alcohol in.

::Edit:: this is from a somewhat professional point of view. I've taken a bartending course, but couldn't find somewhere that would hire me without actual experience. So the above applies to when you buy a drink in a bar. When you're at home, I've seen novelty shot glasses that can hold up to five ounces, and that would no doubt be referred to as a shot when you're at home... but then all bets are off, really.

7. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

How much port is considered one drink?

8. SuggestiveName

Actually, actually 1 shot = 1 jigger = 1.5 ounces.

A pony is 1 ounce.

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

It's 47 and an 1/8th drams to the hogshead, simple.

10. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Oh? That's certainly not what I was taught. When we were being taught how to measure out alcohol for drinks, if it called for an ounce, we filled a shot glass, and put it in - until we could just pour from the bottle and get it right, that is.

Where are you?

As for port... I don't know, I don't remember having covered port specifically. And whatever Donny's talking about, yeah... I .. uh... I agree? Or something? Maybe. When he posts it in English I might make more sense of it. :jig:

11. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

QFT

As far as drinking a fifth in one night, don't make the mistake that a few of my friends have.

One friend of mine, after sipping on his Bushmill's Irish whiskey all night (on the rocks) got to the last glass. And on cue, another guy walks up and sees him sipping on it, and yells "****ing drink it you pussy!" So he downs it all, and spends the rest of the night outside in the yard holding up the fence, and then passed out in the bed of a truck, in the rain.

12. SuggestiveName

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jigger_(bartending)

I will let wikipedia do my talking. Any questions?

13. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

That would explain it - if I was only introduced to these "pony" shots, then that would be all I was aware of.

14. SuggestiveName

Makes sense if your training program was trying to make sure you don't overpour.

15. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

That too.

10charstofillashotglass

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

The hogshead is actually a unit of fluid measurement, believe it or not. As is the rundlet, tierce, firkin, puncheon, tertian, pipe, butt, tun and kilderkin.

17. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder IncGamers Member

The whole "= 1 mixed drink" thing is often thrown in, and usually incorrect. This is because people assume it applies for all mixed drinks, which it certainly does not. In a bar especially, you have no real way of knowing how heavy a bartender is pouring your drink. I, for one, very rarely pour only a single shot into a drink. I tend to use a very heavy hand, mostly because where I work I can get away with it and you get much better tips that way. And that assumes that the drink only has 1 shot in it to begin with (margarita's for instance, have more). The same goes for glasses of wine- it is only true if you are drinking a 5 ounce glass of it.

In many bars, shot glasses are actually a 2 ounce size with a measuring line at 1.5 ounces. The idea is that you fill to the line for a full shot, and then it is not filled to the brim and overflowing when picked up. Some bars/bartenders will still fill to full though, giving you more than a shot. A shot is considered to be 1.5 ounces, with a pony being 1 ounce.

Ever heard of a Long Island Iced Tea? Those have about 5 full shots of liquor in them, and are one of the most popular drinks served in many bars. Most mixed drinks (except for simple ones like cran + vodka) require more than one shot of liquor just to be made. This is true for both newer, more popular drinks like Cosmos and the classics like a Rob Roy. Bars don't lose money off strong drinks, they just charge based on the alcohol content- an LIT is generally more expensive than say, a gin and tonic. Oh, and as far as credentials go I've been bartending for over 1 1/2 years now.

Edit- Totally pwned in the shot = 1.5 oz department :lipsrsealed:

18. Bordillo

Bordillo Banned

I drank a fifth of jeager in under an hour

19. ModeratelyConfused

How the hell are you still alive?

20. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

CF - I will happily concede points to someone who has been bartending for a while, as I mentioned, I have no experience. Experience > training any day.

I can imagine that being heavy-handed with the pouring would definately get you more tips/drink, though I imagine that's a very fine line - too much extra alcohol and they're going to have to be cut off sooner, thus cutting off later potential tips. then again, from what I've seen most people don't drink to the point they need to be cut off.

And, about the Long Island Iced Tea. That's an interesting thing... considering yes, you use the 5 bar whites in it, but as I explained, I was taught that you aren't allowed to exceed 2 ounces of alcohol in a mixed drink here. As a result, you can't even give a float of each (a float, the way I was taught, is approximately a half ounce), because at that point you have 2.5 ounces. You could, of course, pour 2 ounces of LIIT mix, but that contains only four of the five - I believe it's missing the tequila. The way we were taught, you put only a quarter ounce of each into the drink, resulting in a weak, overpriced, 1.25 ounces of alcohol mixed drink.