Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dreamer attack speed

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by kohlman, Nov 13, 2006.

1. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Dreamer attack speed

I looked at the IAS calculator that Frostburn gave me earlier and it said that I need 200 IAS to get 4fpa? Is that possible without a merc with Faith? I had one but they are near impossible to get on non-ladder that a merc can use (non-GMB) and 4fpa would be nice.

The link is here if anyone wants to verify ==>http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/...p?lang=english

I currently use a eBOTDz and have 20 ias from LoH gloves and 20 ias from Highlords. I use Conviction aura for more damage so Fanatacism is out. Is there anything I can do to get 4fpa? Is the calculator right?

I also have a Crescent Moon Phase Blade but I like the life leech and phys damage of BOTD more right now. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Hide

Hide IncGamers Member

The easiest way, and the way I do it, is with a merc with a faith bow. Otherwise you'd have to buff up on ias, or use a beast weapon as your primary weapon.

3. Maccat

Maccat IncGamers Member

It is completely possible. I suggest using a BotD Phase Blade. The -30 base speed on the phase blade makes it possible to reach 4 frames zeal without fanatism quite easily. I've tried to make the build work with a Crescent Moon Phase Blade but it just doesn't seem possible.

For 4 frames zeal personally I think the best weapon is a 3/2* Shael 3/4* 5/5 Lightning Facet Phase Blade. It's fairly expensive and unusuable for just about any other build but it's probably hands down the best.

My suggestion is to get a BotD Phase Blade. Leech, the 60% IAS is cream of the crop for your build, and it actually does some remote physical damage to leech. With using a BotD Phase you only need 15% more IAS in order to reach the 4 frame zeal.

For 4 frame zeal using a phase blade you need 72% IAS with no fanatism. The base speed of a beserker axe just isn't fast enough to reach 4 frames and most of your damage is elemental anyways.

4. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Right now I dont have the runes, but I do have the 6 soc phase blade on a mule but why is there such a difference in the PB and the BA? I thought the BA had about 20 higher bast attack speed but I might just have the base speed way off. I have the shaels and the ability to get some facets, would that work better than BOTD in a phase blade? I'm sure that I could get the ruens if I wanted to, I just dont want to make one and then the opther would have been better.

But If I continue to use Highlords and LoH, thats 40 IAS there, then I would only need a Nosferatus Coil for the extra 10 and from there, 1 shael would do it and I could fill the rest of the sockets with facets....but enemy resistances would be lowered to max, so would the 5% damage per facet (total of 25%) be worth it?

5. crsdawg

crsdawg IncGamers Member

unless your going w/ fanat i don't see how lit facets are going to help that much, convict at lvl 25 is already max -res, and with dual dream your doing 7k dam, the extra +lit isn't going to effect it that much(maybe i'm wrong in how it's added up, tho). better off just adding lit dam jewels or some other handy jewel once the shaels get you to 4fps.

i've been trying to figure out hte best weapon myself and i'm leaning towards a last wish phase atm. you'll need 72ish ias to reach 4 fps, very doable. add to that 60+cb, 10%lt, and might aura...i just don't see how you can go wrong.

another really nice option is grief phase(especially if your 1pt smiter/dreamer), built in 30+ ias makes getting to 4 fps easy, but no cb. really just about any nice rw with decent ias will get a pb very close, and a ws in the vincinty of 4fps.

as for weapons, if you're wanting 4fps and convic you either need a pb or a war spike depending on which rw you're going with. zerker just takes to much ias to reach 4fps. botd has 60ias so an eth ws would be pretty sweet(still need 82ias if i'm not mistaken), death phase might not be a bad choice either.

just remember you might be using a weapon that does less damager per hit with pb or ws, but your getting more hits in so more damage.

btw as far as speed- zerker(0), ws(-10), pb(-30), also you could consider scourge(-10), caddy(-10)...pb and scourge have range of 3 which is also something to consider.

ba is slowest and it makes a big difference.

i guess if you're going to use faith merc it changes things, i just don't count bonus's added by mercs, they die at inopportune times and then you s.o.l.

just my 2 cents, maybe others have a different take on it.

6. Maccat

Maccat IncGamers Member

Phase blades have a range of 2, not 3. It all depends on the gear you want to wear to be honest with you. I personally do believe phase blades are the best/only choice for a 4 frame dreaming zealer. If you wear the equipment setup you have now for pvm, I strongly suggest using the Crescent Moon Phase Blade you have.

1. Runes are cheap and you already have it
    2. Static + 4 frame zeal + conviction is gravy
    3. Does mediocre physical damage to leech back life
    4. Lightning immunes will be made short work of because of all the - to lighting resist.

When I suggested the 3* Shael 3* Lightning Facet, I was using equipment that was more oriented for pvp. Angelic rings/amulet and the only IAS that I had was 15% from a jewel. For total gear on a pvm dreaming zealot I would suggest:

Crescent Moon Phase Blade
    Laying of Hands
    Dream Helmet
    Dream Shield
    Shaftstop (15/15 IAS/Resist)
    Highlords Wrath
    Bul-Kathos
    Raven Frost
    Gore Rider
    String of Ears

An alternative would be use Last Wish Phase Blade with a 60 IAS 60 Resist armor and just have less DR. I like the idea of static with massive negative to resists. Just eats up the crowds and along with the splash damage, it should rape a lot of things quite easily.

7. Hide

Hide IncGamers Member

One thing to remember with crescent moon is that it subtracts resists after immune is broken, so in the few cases where the enemy is still lightning immune it takes a bit of work to kill them.

8. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

Actually if the beast is LI then -resists operates at 20% effectiveness until the immunity is broken. I think that most, if not all, LIs are easily broken because infinity, which is lvl 12 conviction, will do it.

9. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

So the lightning facets are out. Im on non-ladder so last wish and death are hard to get or trust me, I would havethem because of the massive crushing blow and death is simply amazing to me. But last wish zerker is hard enough to get much less phase blade on non-ladder. I can only imagine what death would be.:shocked:

I am debating on whether or now to make the botd in the PB or look for the nigh impossible death/last wish. I was lucky enough to get the dream runewords (shield isnt even pally specific), the other ladder only runewords would be impossible to find. I have a Crescent Moon PB but I like the physical damage of the BOTDz for the life leech and Lightning Immunes but if need be, I still have the Crescent Moon in case I find that the BOTD isnt good enough.

Also, why shaftstop and not CoH or Enigma? I had CoH but wanted Enigma simply because this char is excellent for rushing through Normal because wherever you are, monsters are dead. Norm cowing is amazing, I never swing a weapon. I use Nig for the tele and str but is shaftstop that much better for this build? I almost always PvM but when called out, I will PvP, but all my characters are made for PvM so this one is no exception.

10. Maccat

Maccat IncGamers Member

You need 72% IAS with a phase blade and 142% IAS with a war spike. Even with the 60% ias from BotD you still need a 72% more IAS off weapon. Your best bet would either just suck it up, get more life leech, and use the Crescent Moon phase blade or buy a BotD phase blade. The physical damage difference isn't going to be huge, I mean, don't get me wrong, 200% more ed is great, but when the base damage is 30, don't expect a huge jump.

A quick calculation 33 (AVG damage Phase Blade) * 5 (400% ED BotD) = 165 average damage.

33*3.2 = 105.6 average damage on crescent moon. It's not that much of a difference and your conviction SHOULD break all of the immunes. If not, your pvm, that's what a merc helps with.

Why shaftstop? CoH and Enigma cannot be socketed. Using Dream helm and a Dream Shield already means you're out two sockets right there. You need 15% more IAS (nosferatu's on it's own will not do it). If you use BotD Phase Blade you can then use Chains of Honour for the resists. With crescent moon you need the extra 15% ias from the socket and shaftstop + string of ears adds some serious damage reduction. Resists shouldn't be terrible but can always be made up with charms.

11. Spari

Spari IncGamers Member

This is a bit off topic but I thought since you all are talking about Dream runeword I could get some help. I am back to playing diablo after a long hiatus and this new runeword caught my eye. I used to have an old telsadin which did quite well. But now with this runword out I was gonna try a different approach. I was thinking of making a zealot telsa hybrid using this runword. MY question is would the aura from the runeword benefit from resist lighting and if I had two dream items would the auras stack to 30. Thanks for the help in advance.

12. Maccat

Maccat IncGamers Member

Short and simple. Yes, they will stack ot a level 30 holy shock (which can also be synergized by resist lightning and salvation) also allowing the use of conviction with level 30 synergized holy shock and the runeword dream has hit recovery, resists, and some vitality too I do believe. Great combination for a runeword.

13. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Does that mean that with my LoH, Highlords, and BOTD PB, I will reach the last breakpoint for 4fpa cause that will give me 100% ias? That way I dont need the socket cause I really like the teleport and maybe the resists. Personally I like shaftstop for a merc, but I like to get more out of my armor thatn DR, even tho its massive, but my merc is using it so I'll try swapping out with him to see how it works. Thanks for the help.

BTW, War Pike means I cant use the Dream shield and thats crucial to me in hell diff for the block, defense, and extra damage boost. I have decent resists as it is with most above 50 in hell diff i think so no real worries. i will fill up the gaps with charms i guess.

14. Maccat

Maccat IncGamers Member

Yes, the BotD Phase Blade + LoH + Highlord's will reach the breakpoint without the socket from the armor. I suggest chains of honour for an armor but if your heart really desires enigma, you can wear it.

War pike is a bad idea, but yeah, definitely BotD phase is a great idea. Definitely one of the best weapon choices. I think a Grief Phase blade would be a potential candidate. With 32+% IAS + LoH (20%) + Highlord's (20%) = 72% exactly. This would give you tremendous physical, deadly strike, and some serious damage to demonds.

15. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Spari, also something to note, if you put 5 points into Holy Shck, and wear the dream helm/shield combo, you will not have a level 35 holy shock. This means invest ZERO points into Holy Shock, the helm/shield will take care of you there. Also, I did not put any points into Salvation because the returns looked too low and I do roughly 5.8k damage with my fists so with Conviction, I dont see the extra points in salvation worthwhile.

Maccat, I think for the most part, Ill use CoH and when I need to rush a friend or something ill have an Enigma in stash because its really hard to replace 65 resist all in Hell difficulty.