Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dreamdin basics and strategies ver 1.01

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Doll Call, May 28, 2005.

1. Doll Call

Doll Call Diabloii.Net Member

My old guide was lost. But thats fine. I've revised a new copy. The changes made are listed below.

Changes ver 1.01:

Provided better analysis of smite.
    Simplified skill distribution numbers.
    Provided more sample builds.
    Added more items.
    Edited item descriptions, added Dream stats.
    Did some spelling and grammar correction... and some general editing too.
    Updated dueling strats for hammerdins, necromancers, and ww barbs.

1) The stats.

Strength - cliché, just enough to put on your gear.

Dexterity - base or a lot. Enough to achieve maxed blocking. If you don't plan on using holy shield (and by “not using†I mean having base holy shield... not 0) you’re probably better off making a vita build.

Energy - base.

Vitality - every point you can afford... it isn't uncommon to be looking at between 350-450+.

2) Skills:

Resist lightning - 20 points. Your prime source of damage... since level 30 holy shock will only tickle most foes without maxed resist lightning. Also it has a nice unpublished hidden bonus of +0.05% to maximum lightning resist per level... up to a maximum of +10%.

Conviction - X points. Conviction will be your main aura. Make sure this reaches level 25, it needs to hit level 25 for maximum effectiveness. Also you may want to stack a few levels over 25 because of the way conviction works in pvp.

Holy shield - 20 points. Depending on what you want your Dreamer to do. If he's pure anti-caster 1 point will be enough. But if you want nice defense, high block, and a cruel smite you're looking at a serious investment here. If you’re even considering smiting then you’re looking at a 20 point investment here.

Salvation - 0 points. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS SKILL, IGNORE TEMPTATION.

Zeal - 1-4 points. Zeal is a great way to deliver damage, its fast, effective, and you wont be labeled cheap. And at only 40 points to fully syngergize which can make very powerful when used in unison with Dream as a second form of damage output. Zeal will be your pvm skill of choice.
    Also consider: Sacrifice. Zeal's damage is directly affected by sacrifice. Also sacrifice gives you more damage per level then zeal does (go figure).

Charge - 20 points. Probably my favorite pally skill. Fast, and extremely damaging. This will be your main form of transportation as well running from foes, and dodging projectiles while Dream does the work for you. Fully syngergize with a nasty weapon make this a particularly ruthless skill. Another big advantage of charge is its fanatical desynching problems, and you'll be disappearing on other peoples screens quite frequently. More often then not you'll hear a lot of lag complaints in pubs.

Blessed aim - 0-20 points. BA gives a very nice passive attack rating bonus.

Smite - 1 point. Smite can be a downright nasty customer when combined with grief, fortitude, and dual dreams. Delivering devastating lightning, and physical damage... also smite ignores defense and cant be blocked! The only downsides to smite are that it's top speed is a mere 6fps, compared to zeal's 4fps... and it doesn't leech or receive deadly strike... also it doesn't actually deal elemental damage on successful hits. So a smite build is a much more strategy dependent build then zeal and charge builds. This is the only viable skill against TRUE melees (aka 50k defense exile zealots, and ww barbs). However prepare for the bad manners circus, grief smiters are regarded very lowly, as are Dreamdins in pubs... I am confident (and experienced) that frequenting both would not be very friendship inspiring. Although smite doesn't fully exploit Dream’s psycho power, it’s still extremely strong when used in unison with smite. I call the smite/dream/conviction build the “n00b suxxor†build. Mainly because only a newb (aka you/me/anyone who uses the build) would do the (mis)deed of selecting both smite and Dream simultaneously.
    Also consider: Holy shield, like the zeal/sacrifice relationship smite's damage is more dependent on your holy shield level, then the level of smite itself. Base level smite will work in pvp very well with maxed holy shield. Smite builds are best as switch backups. also there's one weapon on the planet you’re going to consider for smite. What is it? You guessed it! A Grief phase. Nothing will come close to 6fps smite without fanaticism while still delivering good damage but this puppy.

Example builds (completed at level 90 with these point arrangements... all of them can go higher however):

Dream smiter:
    20 resist lightning
    20 smite
    20 holy shield
    20 conviction
    20 into defiance + pre reqs

Dream zealot 1:
    20 resist lightning
    20 zeal
    20 conviction
    20 holy shield
    20 into blessed aim + pre reqs

Dream zealot 2:
    20 resist lightning
    20 sacrifice
    20 conviction
    20 holy shield
    20 into zeal + pre reqs

Dream charger:
    20 resist lightning
    20 charge
    20 might
    20 conviction
    20 into vigor + pre reqs (don't forget holy shield)

Swiss Army Dreamer (aka my dreamer):
    20 resist lightning
    20 charge
    20 holy shield
    20 conviction
    20 might and pre reqs

I’ve had the most pub success with the last build. He can handle anything but Wisp Protectors.

3) Gear: I haven't mentioned every gear possibility here (yes I know about Crescent Moon). Feel free to leave your input on other gear... and if i get time to test it i will add it.

Dream:

10% Chance To Cast Level 15 Confuse When Struck
    Level 15 Holy Shock Aura When Equipped
    +20-30% Faster Hit Recovery (varies)
    +30% Enhanced Defense
    +150-220 Defense (varies)
    +10 To Vitality
    Increase Maximum Life 5%
    +0.625-61.875 To Mana (Based On Character Level)
    All Resistances +5-20 (varies)
    15-25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (varies)

Dream helm:
    I highly suggest one of two helms, either a tiara/coronet/diadem... or a bone visage. Nothing else is as good.

Dream shield:
    You're going to want a elite pally shield with the most possible stock resistance on it you can get. 45 is the maximum, and quite rare in a 3 socket shield... so you might be in for a wait if you want a good one. Since there really isn't much of a demand for them you should be able to pick one up for a Ist or two. The higher you get on the elite pally list ranging from sacred targe to vortex shield the more defense you get... however you sacrifice block and yield a higher strength requirement. I'd stay away from vortex altogether unless you happen to find a 45 resistance, 15% superior defense one. They all do the same smite damage too... roughly 46 on average... however a Zakarum shield is best suited for the job since it doesn't fluctuate.

Amulets:

1) Highlord's Wrath. 20 IAS, deadly strike and +1 to skills make this a prime amulet. You'll need this to get to that 6fps or 4fps break point.
    2) Metalgrid. Nice attack rating and defense bonuses, sweet resistances too. A solid amulet when combined with two Ravenfrosts.
    3) Angelic. Amazing AR bonus when combined with the rings.
    4) Mara's Kalidieoscope. +2 skills, +5 all attributes, and a possible +30 resistances... where do I sign up?

Rings: Any combo of these rings are fine. Raven comes with my highest recommendation, followed by Wisp.

1) Raven.
    2) Angelic.
    3) BK.
    4) Wisp protector.
    5) Godly rare.

Gloves:

1) Laying of Hands. Best IAS gloves available aside from rares.
    2) Dracul's Grasp. Open wounds, +15 to strength, leech.
    3) Steelrends. No. If you have enough strength to wear these you should be considering a rebuild.

Boots:

1) Gore Riders. Deadly strike, open wounds, and crushing blow make these top choice.
    2) Also consider: Ethereal Sandstorm Treks. nice defense, FHR, poison resist, pluses to strength and vitality make these great boots.
    3) Also consider: Tear Haunch, great boots.

Belts:

1) Arachnid's Mesh - +1 to skills. Very nice.
    2) Verdungo's Hearty Cord - FHR, insane vitality bonus, and a slick 15% dr.
    3) Credendum - Bonuses to dexterity, strength, and a handy little resistance bonus. A great versus caster belt.

Armor:

1) Fortitude. Savage damage modifiers, as well as sick defense, resistances, and a nice life boost.
    2) Chains of Honor. +2 skills, 8% damage reduction, and a insane +65% resist all make this probably the best overall.
    3) Leviathan. 25% DR, and possible 50 strength. The only downsides are that you look like an idiot, and the steep strength requirement.
    4) Upped Shaftstop. Leviathan version B.
    5) Enigma. If you're a strict pvmer, or rusher then this is the real deal here... tele makes everyone's life easier... not to mention +2 skills, 8% DR, and a insane strength bonus (for those who crave a vita Dreamer).

Weapons:
    Zeal/Smite breakpoints:
    Phase blade.................... 72 IAS for 4fps zeal.
    = 65 IAS for 6fps smite.
    Beast berserker.............. 35 OFF WEAPON IAS for 4fps zeal.
    = 28 OFF WEAPON IAS for 6fps smite.

1) GRIEF PHASE BLADE. Without a doubt the best choice for the job if you want a physical damage supplement. Deadly strike, high speed, and insanely consistent damage make this weapon the end all. My only gripe is a phases lousy range.
    2) GRIEF ZERKER. all the insane bugged damage... but without the possibility a reaching the 4fps zeal/6fps smite break points. An excellent charge weapon.
    2) BOTD PHASE. Probably one of the best weapons for getting your lightning damage across. If you plan on focusing on simply hitting your foe this weapon is probably it. Frees up your IAS gloves too! Massive speed, low requirements, and +30 to all attributes is nothing to frown at.
    3) WIND PHASE BLADE. Faster hit recovery, faster run walk, nice speed, and a wicked -50% enemies defense mod... plus you'll be unique. A great lightning delivery weapon.
    4) DOOM BERSERKER. If you can afford Doom as a backup, get one... this thing can be a life saver at times. Holy freeze is great for zons, zealots, smiters, and adversaries without teleport... too bad it wont even come close for the last IAS bp.
    5) BEAST BERSERKER. The only alternative to Grief in my opinion. There are two only things I see it being good for is if you made a pure lightning/AR bear... which would be useless in regular pubs for the most part, since you're mobility would be reduced to basically zero. However the big draw for me is range... at range 3 (versus 2 on a phase) you can actually hit things and stay safely out of your foes range. Strong to consider as a backup.
    6) 6 SOCKET PHASE with X Sheals, and X Eths... a good weapon for delivering fast lightning damage... cheap as hell too.
    7) 6 SOCKET WEAPON 5/5 lightning facets. I haven't tried one of these with a Dreamer yet.... but I have a friend that swears by them. A +3 conviction 5os caduceus would be great too. I don't recommend the investment.
    8) ETHEREAL DEATH ZERKER. I'll tell you right now if you're making a charger this thing is it (its the only thing that competes directly with Grief). Combined with fortitude, Highlord's, and Gore Rider's its easy to get over 90%+ deadly strike. Combine this with a high damage charge build and lookout.

Trunk gear. There are quite a few items you're going to consider worthy of space in your trunk.
    1) Doom zerker.
    2) Angelics.
    3) DR armor (Levi/Shaft/Verdungo).
    4) Highlord's Wrath/Laying of Hands/20 IAS gloves (these are only necessary if you’re zealing or smiting with a Grief phase, or a Beast weapon).
    5) +Skills/offensive aura items/grand charms. Why? To negate hostile conviction.
    6) Demon limb.

Charms:
    1) AR/Life/maximum damage charms are great (the coveted duped NL 3/20/20... but on ladder get whatever you can find, aka: 3/1x/1x). Even the grand charms are good.
    2) Offensive skillers are great if you want to twink your build (giving you extra points for whatever)... but be warned make sure to have it least a few levels of leverage so you can negate other Dreamer’s/FOHers auras.
    3) Resist all scs/gcs are good... but usually a Dreamer has great resistances anyways (+65 COH, +65 shield, +20 helm. +30 quests, +20 anni... well it’s nice to dream) But I managed to stack my resistances well over 100 in hell (completely unintentionally too). A few resist all gcs/scs wouldn’t hurt.

2. Doll Call

PVP STRATEGIES HERE. Note although I PVP quite a bit (when I can... I go to school full time away from my home computer and I only play on the weekends) I will only be outlining strategies that worked for me. I’m not claiming the coveted title of L33T... but here are a few basic strategies to get you started. Tactics on the rarer builds haven't been practiced extensively due to the fact they’re uncommon in pubs (pally hybrids, poison necs, new melee sorcs, etc.) and I have a life outside of Diablo. Feel free to add your own PVP experiences... and I will credit you and add them to the guide when I can. The best general strategy is to put on conviction and pulse your foe to gauge if Dream alone can do the job.

One of the biggest problems you'll have is tele-stacking windys. Because of minions and cyclone armor he has a hugh advantage: TIME. You wont be able to do that much to him if he's wearing Storm Shield, with stacked minions, and cyclone armor. Just charge around randomly... let holy shock do its work and take care of his minions... and don't close until you see that you've pierced their cyclone armor. Make sure to have roughly 50% DR so you can handle a couple of tornados. Stay close so he cant recast minions, and recast cyclone armor... if he tries swat him. He wont have the pure FCR to catch you if your charging around, so this shouldn't be too hard. Once they're ripe (no minions or armor) a charge or two will finish them... or you can pulse them until they run to town, and charge them in the back.

Against sorcs just charge around dodging missiles until you kill them with holy shock. Usually when they get low on life they'll start to run... just charge them in the back when they do. Sorcs aren't terribly easy because its hard to stay close to a 200% FCR fireballer while she's hurling 35963487 fireballs a second at you... but get used to it. If they're a stupid strong ES sorcs, you're going to have to play chess with them... this is one of the few battles where running around like an idiot will get you hung. A good fireballer will use map hack spam to herd you into more fbs while staying safely off screen. Try to keep them stationary... and hope they're stupid enough to try to lock you... if they do charge around them a couple of times then lock them yourself. Unless they're expecting this you've usually got them. Usually they'll lose track of you due to desynching problems, then they're done. For blizz sorcs stack your resistance through the roof... Ravens wont save you from the first hit of blizz.

Hammers aren't as bad as sorcs... stay outside their hammer fields and shock them until they decide to play offensively. Make sure not to wander back into invisible hammers. The second they make a sloppy tele charge lock them. The best time to attack a hammerdin is right after he teleports, and always try to keep him to your upper right on approach. If you have Angelics get them. Just let them eat it inside thier own field.

For a FOHer stack some plus to skill gear and kill their conviction by boosting yours higher. Most strong FOHers will use a level 28 conviction or so... roughly. The way it works in pvp is that the higher level conviction will cancel out the lower level one... so swap out Grief for Doom... or a unique pally scepter. And get a Mara's, or a +3 offensive amulet. Just charge like mad... this should be enough. If this isnt working just use resist lightning aura.

For Dreamers, repeat the same strategy as above. If they have higher stacked conviction then you you're pretty much dead. But if you're wondering go get a Um'd Veil of Steel, and a 4-topaz shield and hunt them down with charge and resist lightning (yeah right). If they're twinked you'll usually have a better conviction, or it least hope you do.
    For Dragdins/Seraphs/Hybrids rinse and repeat.

CS/PS zons and trapsins should be your easiest fights... you'll have a solid 85% lightning resistance... and you'll have conviction on your side... no contest. Chuck on a Wisp/T-god if you happen to encounter a extremely good one. Circle, then charge... if she tries to MB don't fret... you'll be able to tank her traps while your conviction/holy shock is nailing her, not to mention wearing two Dreams you'll have stupid good FHR. If she gets you outside of conviction range switch to resist lightning to bolster your resistance to a well stacked 95% until you can escape. If she's stupid enough to use Infinity for a weapon this battle will be over in a few pulses.
    Versus PS/CS zons straight up smite/zeal them... nothing fancy... if she's wearing Griffon put on a Wisp Protector. If your having problems still, wear doom and charge/retreat.

For rabies/fury druids same as CS/PS zons... just run up to them and smite/zeal them. They'll die pretty quickly usually. Unless you're playing a super powerful one in which case soften them up with pulses, then finish them. Typical glass cannon... since many of them opt for two handed weapons instead of shields. I haven't had a problem with a melee druid yet despite my inadequate defense, and pitiful AR.

For Dream enchantress bear sorcs repeat the previous strategy... but exercise a bit more caution. Usually these sorcs will have mega AR problems (and only mediocre resistances, and non existent block) unless they're wearing angelics (and have the brains to use a weapon with -% defense mods)... in which case they'll just have low AR. Even with maxed resistances and 85% lightning resistance don't expect to tank more than a hit from one of these 60k monsters. They'll be swinging stupid fast too, which increases the good chance of them nailing you. Doom charging is a cruel little way of dealing with them. Since they wont have a snowball's chance in Hell of catching you any ways as a bear. Smite will usually do them in by itself.
    For Dream paladin bears just straight up smite them. They'll be doing a lot less damage then their sorc counterparts, usually you'll win very quickly.

Charge fanatazons and get right in their face... don't give them a chance to hail you with arrows. Usually pub zons have poor resistances and rely on dodge to save them from elemental damage... too bad they cant dodge holy shock. This one is usually over pretty quickly. If you're having trouble get Doom.

Zealots can be killed with pulses... but if there in pubs they'll probably whip out a COH/HOZ/T-god/Wisp and try to come after you. Run around and see if your pulses still hurt them, if not go get Leviathan... and smite/retreat them... if there using Grief themselves they'll have to smite you too. If you're a smite build this duel will be rather easy, if you’re a charge variant use the charge/retreat method. Don't forget 50% DR.

WW sins wont give you too much trouble. Just charge around like a maniac and don't give them a target to d-flight/tele ww/mind blast. Smite is your friend here... use it. If they're using Widowmaker/venom combo stick to them like crazy... and charge the second you see them switch. If they're using Bramble instead of Enigma just run up to them and start smiting, or charge them. Drink a bunch of antidotes if you can live with BM.

For smiters see if your pulses hurt them... if not go grab Levi and Verdungo's and smite them (you’re on your own there). Hopefully you'll win... but not likely if they're using Exile and Dracul's... since they'll have a stupid good CTC life tap (in addition to that +20 to smite they're probably packing, and that +20 to fanaticism). Doom is a big advantage if you plan on pulse killing them. Godd smiters will be one of your most difficult adversaries.

Against single wielding ww barbs just charge/retreat them (remember 50% DR), most pubs will ww right into smite. Don't rely on pulses for a quick kill here... barbs have way too much life for that. Don't ever chase ww barbs either, you'll just get eat it outside your range. Wait for them to finish a ww... and charge (throw out some fakes first so they don't pause ww), then switch to smite. If you're lucky you'll get them in KB and smite them to death. Against more experienced barbs (if they're worth there salt they'll be dual wielding Grief/Beast with a 31 DR COA and stacked resistances) expect them to use leap stun, Widow Maker/double throw, and never ww right though you. They'll ww just outside your range because they know you cant hit them, but they can hit you. They'll also spam guided arrow from Widow on you if just plan on staying still... charge them the second you see a switch. Let holy lightning kill them, it might take 234355 pulses but it will work eventually... stick to them... but don't let them get free wws. If they're wearing Fort the battle is much easier... despite the fact they're cutting down your pulse damage they lose teleport and a lot of mobility... Doom is invaluable against Fort barbs. If they lock desynch ww just charge and stay in thier range (1.5 screens or something) and pulse them to death. WW barbs when played correctly by experts will be your strongest foes.

Versus necros just wait for the aura to start really knocking them down... usually pubs will panic and make a sloppy tele which you can capitalize on... charge them and its over. The one good thing is that you wont see a 125% FCR on a necro if he plans on blocking (unless he has the sense to use a Wizard Spike). A solid nec will be much more aggressive... they wont give holy shock a chance to murder them. A charge with conviction on is pretty likely to nail them since they usually have little or no defense, beware high block mancers though... you're going to have to do the quick charge/smite switch if Homunculus keeps getting in the way. AND NEVER STOP MOVING, unless you like eating IBS. If they lock you, retreat and use obstacles (walls houses etc.) to kill spirits. It isn't too likely he's going to get you with spirits (unless he decrepifys you) in this case since you can just circle him and pulse him to death... spirits and teeth will be a spam to herd you into spears. Pulses still hit through tele stacks, so it wont save them from you.

Most poisonmancers are easy... stay just outside their nova range and pulse them to death... even if they get you in nova range they're usually slow casting (Death's Web), and the nova projectiles themselves are slow, and can be easily outrun. If you're having problems drink a few antidotes.

Pure chargers can be a nightmare if they're made properly. 20k 1-handed damage with 90%+ deadly strike, (believe it... i got 17k charge with 90% deadly strike and 75% crushing blow without any charms but an Anni!) and high crushing blow make these guys consistent 1 hit killers. Chargers will hunt you down quickly... you're best chance is to pulse them to death and make a well-timed "surgery" charge to finish them. Make sure to get obstacles in their way to obstruct their charges, although this will in many cases block your pulses it will give you the advantage to get him to come to you (while running... which is what you want). Because you'll have the massive advantage of charging first. Some of the richer guys have a Phoenix/Grief smite switch... which can make charging them a bad idea, unless you're lucky enough to get them in KB recovery stun. Make sure to get 50% dr (although it isn't likely to save you against 40k damage... I'd sure as hell would rather take 1/6th of 20k then 40k). 2-handed chargers aren't quite as bad since you're pretty much guaranteed to hit them... you can play a lot more aggressive with these guys.

Hammer/charge - Still looking for strategies.

FOH/Smites should be dueled as though they were smiters... since there's a really good chance you'll be killing their conviction with yours, so you shouldn't be deathly afraid of their FOH. But their smite can mean bad news... and their defenses can be tough to pierce. This is another duel in which Doom is invaluable. Since it will slow down their smite, and get you closer to killing their conviction. A good tactic I’ve found is to go after them while they’re trying to FOH you, and get them in charge lock, and avoid them like the plague when they’re smiting. If they’re too stupid to charge this should be an easy fight.

3. LoVePlAyBoY

LoVePlAyBoY Diabloii.Net Member

I've some suggestions

using the standerd

20 resist light
    20 charge
    slvl 25 convict

Other Varients

20 holy sheild
    20 defiance

20 resist cold
    20 resist fire

foh varients with nice meele dmg aswell

Multi Aura Stacks Doom + Dragon + Dreams using the 20 resist cold/light/fire/chare slvl 25 conviction is very fun

open wounds is killer with this build fury etc...

yes can be absorbed easy but still fun

Good Job on the guide should help

4. Doll Call

i didnt want to outline builds using elemental damage other then dream, mainly because i would be here all day. and as for the 20 res/cold/fire/light thing i would only way i do it is with maxed res fire/light using two dreams, dragon and hoj... mainly since the low level holy freeze damage on doom is so insubstantial that it isnt worth the 20 point expenditure. as for the foher idea i've been waiting to try something like that myself. i recently got a nice +3 foh, 5os rod. an additiontal -25/25 to your pulses would be interesting it least, and extremely powerful. but your foh would be weak unfourtuneatly... since you'd be losing +6 to foh levels. but it would be worth it just to see it in action. when i get some decent pally combats i will try this build.

5. HeavAngel

HeavAngel Paladin Moderator

Nice Guide Doll Call. Thanks for reposting it.

I'll be adding it to the Guide Thread.
    :thumbsup:

6. dkay

dkay Diabloii.Net Member

what damage are we looking at for charge and zeal.. also why put points into smite? i thought that elemental damage doesnt get transfered from it.

7. Doll Call

well you're not going to write home about the charge damage, but the zeal damage is quite high. i'm away from my computer at school right now... so i cant give you a number figure.

as for the smite thing i already placed that in the guide, but even base level smite, with a decent grief and a maxed holy shield is extremely powerful... the main advantage of smite is just its pure debilitation. aside from smiters, and zealots you will be avoided like the plague by many weaker pubs. having the base level smite, is a strong card... and i highly reccomend using it.

8. ximazealotx

ximazealotx Diabloii.Net Member

question. i thought that crescent moon was the best runeword for a dreamadin build? or was i way off? ive got one of these and a dream helm i thought that with a dream sheild it would work best.

9. Doll Call

cresent moon is good. but if you're going to get that you might as well go all out and make a 25/25 foh scepter. if you ask me there are better things out there then cresent moon. it does low damage... and doesnt really have anything beyond the negative resistance mod... in which case you could use something better still. i'm not a big believer of the weapon... and i've beaten many dreamers that have used it against me.

10. unlucky13

unlucky13 Diabloii.Net Member

why might but not fanatism??

i dun get it... but why dun we use fanatism instead of might...??
    okay i got it... i forgot bout synergy lolz

11. theHATERSclub

theHATERSclub Diabloii.Net Member

which auradin is the best pvm killer? Dreamer or Torchadin? I do more pvm and want to know wich gear to trade/look for.

12. [exile]

[exile] Diabloii.Net Member

Personally I find the Dreamadin to be better in PvM because the weapon slot is open to a higher-damaging weapon like Grief. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the average Lightning damage is higher than the average Fire damage.

13. Doll Call

i find this correct. first of all using dream keeps your options open. you can wear whatever armor, and weapon you like... which i find is better then wearing your favorite helm (which you pretty much have to wear a Veil of Steel to get remotely good resistances without going charm crazy with a Dragon/HOJ setup). dream is also way cheaper for the base setup... which is another reason i recommend it. my favorite weapon overall is doom for pvming... combined with a fanata-merc you can easily hit a 4fps... and its debilitating cold aura, low reqs, +2 to skills, high ias, and 20% ds make it a great weapon IMO for pvm. grief is also great too if you want to hit 4fps without relying on a fanatic merc.

14. HeavAngel

HeavAngel Paladin Moderator

Unsticky this. It's linked in the Guide Thread now :)

15. FathomFear

FathomFear Diabloii.Net Member

Quick question: I play mostly pvm but would like to play pvp on occasion. Which of these builds would be ideal? Would the Swiss Army Dreamer be viable pvm? Is one of these builds great for pvm but not pvp or vice versa?

Thanks.

16. [exile]

Generally speaking, I think Chargers tend to have the best success in PvP, mainly because of their mobility. It also has the highest AR bonus.

Smiters aren't bad but the problem is that you don't benefit from Lightning damage being added to you attack. If you use a Smiter, the only Lightning damage you'll be dealing is from the aura pulses.

Zealots aren't bad but the AR bonus is slightly lower so you might have a bit of trouble connecting hits. Also, you can't move around as much.

Personally I'd go with Doll Call's "Dream Charger" rather than the "Swiss Army Dreamer" but it depends on whether you think damage or defense will be more important for you.

17. FathomFear

FathomFear Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the response. How would this build handle pvm? Do you just...charge into monsters over and over again? :clap:

18. [exile]

In PvM Zealots will probably have the most success. The -% Enemy Defense mod is great against monsters but not so good against other players. So even though your AR bonus isn't as high, it doesn't matter because Conviction makes it so much easier to hit them.

Charging is a very slow and tedious process in PvM :eek:

19. jimmah

jimmah Diabloii.Net Member

I tried a fully synergies charger + fana in single once and it took like forever to kill one monster with 8000+ charge damage. Not to mention you are swramed with monsters after your first charge.

20. Doll Call

base level zeal is strong enough to easily solo through hell with dual dreams. naturally i reccomend base level zeal on all the builds. with the swiss army dream you can also use might... if you're having trouble defeating highly light immune foes.