Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dreamadin/Auradin help

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by king dilhan, Jul 3, 2010.

1. king dilhan

king dilhan IncGamers Member

Dreamadin/Auradin help

Hey,
    So I've been looking into building a paladin based on using auras from the runeword Dream. After looking through a few very helpful guide, I still have a question. I'm wondering what build will be the most effective for overall pvm play.

Build 1: This build would use a dream helm, dream shield, a grief pb and fortitude. I would max resist lightning, conviction, holy shield and get the necessary 4 points into zeal, along with my remaining points going into sacrifice to boost my physical dmg. I would also plan on using an act 1 merc with faith for the fanatism aura.

This build would have a powerful lvl 30 holy shock aura along with a relatively strong physical zeal to back it up.

Build 2: This build would use a dram helm, dream shield, hand of justice and a dragon armor. I would max resist lightning, resist fire, conviction, a few into holy shield and get the necessary 4 points into zeal. Once again I would probably use an act 1 merc with faith.

This build would have both a powerful holy shock and holy fire, however with a weaker zeal due to the loss of the grief.

I'm really just looking for opinions/help from people who have experience with these builds. I'll take anything into account: fun, effectiveness, survivability, you name it.

Much appreciated

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. Frostadin

Frostadin IncGamers Member

Re: Dreamadin/Auradin help

Alright, here's an opinion from a guy who's planned a dreamer, but never built one. Maybe someday when I get enough wealth I'll get it done.

Build #1: Sounds like you have the right idea. Somewhat synergize the Dreams and smoke 'em with physical and lightning magnified by Conviction. You will hit some that are dual immune to your attack so throw a point or so into vengeance. A solid PVM killer that should be fun to play and will rip through most monsters. The only knock on this is the limited Conviction area and the "lag" before it is applied.

Build #2: Having level 30 Holy Fire and Holy Shock sounds awesome! Unfortunately, if you look at the numbers it's really not. You are sacrificing your physical damage (Grief) and your armor to get Holy Fire. While you could probably find a workable combination, of equipment, Holy Fire does fairly weak damage and many monsters are immune to it. While this route would have an easier time against lightning/physical immunes, IMO the killing speed would be much slower overall. I don't feel this is a good build.

My project that I want to try out: A Frosty Dreamer. Wear Dream Helm and shield so you have level 30 Holy Shock. For the rest of your gear use whatever you want. For your skills go with:
    Holy Freeze - 20
    Resist Cold -20
    Resist Lightning -20
    Zeal - 4
    Holy Shield - whatever
    Sacrifice - If you felt you needed more physical damage

Run Holy Freeze as your aura. This would give you a synergized Holy Freeze, synergized Holy Shock, and physical attack every time you Zeal. Not only does it apply 3 damage types, but it slows the enemy as well. It also gets you to 85% resists on your lightning and cold. While triple immunes would be rare, throw a point in Vengeance just in case. If you're rich and really want to overkill, give your merc an Infinity. Every monster would face Conviction, Holy Shock, Holy Freeze, and Zeal every time you click your button. Doesn't seem fair.

3. dunnoaname

dunnoaname IncGamers Member

I'm respecing my pally atm to use dreams. He will be a Riftadin though (using the 'Rift' runeword). Not as great physical damage but gives a nice Frozen Orb ctc which is nice with conviction. But ya, I would still use Grief PB+Hoz on switch if I feel like leaching or taking on Ubers etc. So he would look somewhat like your first choice, which I think is the better build of the two.

Another choice could be using 'Crescent Moon' runeword for the -35% lightning resist and other nice mods and stack lightning damage on top of your dreams. Of course, with maxed resist lightning and salvation.

Iunno its up to you, lot of fun choices out there :)

4. king dilhan

the frost/shock auradin seems interesting as well, though the holy shock damage will be somewhat diminished due to the lack in conviction.

Will swapping out the grief and fortitude for hand of justice and dragon, hurt my melee damage that significantly?

I mean a synergized lvl 30 holy fire will hit in the around 3k range consistently.

Though I am leaning towards my first build due to the fact that grief and fortitude can then be used for other chars, while hand of justice and dragon cannot.

5. Kimppi

Kimppi IncGamers Member

You wouldn't have lvl30 aura but one lvl16 and one lvl14. The auras have to be the same level for the game to add them up.

6. king dilhan

Oh, if that's the case then I can see why the holy fire damage would be lacking.
    I think my choice is quite clear then; I'll go for the first build with dual dream and max resist lightning but with a grief pb and fort.

Though the frost/dream combo looks effective as well.

It's basically a toss up between conviction or holy freeze -I'll test them both out (is that not the beauty of the respec)

7. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Last ladder i built a dreamer and he was ace fun, not cheap, but damn fun, this is what I settled on in the end:

Helm: Dream
    Shield: Dream
    Armour: Enigma
    Weapon: Beast (so i can have fanat & conviction :D)
    Amulet: Highlords
    Rings: RF and SoJ
    Boots: Gores
    Belt: Arachnid

Amazing fun and ripped things apart.

8. king dilhan

ya I'm thinking something similar
    I'm opting for a grief instead of beast (I'll get fanatism from faith merc) and probably fort instead of enigma
    Got my grief ready already so I'm going to stick with that but I may go for enigma if I plan on doing rushes with the guy

9. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Personally I went now on ladder....

Armor: Treachery (yes I love it)
    Weapon: Grief (with treachery no more extra IAS needed! For 4 frame zeal)
    Amulet: Maras
    Belt: Nos coil (for leech, although I can use a good SOE or Dungos)
    Gloves: Draculs.
    Rings: Raven + another rare mana leecher

I went for a Might merc, he with Insight polearm. But once I gotten Pride, it would be a whoop *** physical + HS build. Backup weapon is the ever loving Rift. :)

10. king dilhan

Looks almost identical to what I've been building up

Armor: ??
    Weapon: Grief
    Amulet: Probably highlords
    Belt: Nos coil
    Gloves: Dracs
    Rings: Raven + leech ring

I hope it turns out to be effective

How's your dreamadin doing? Is he efficient in hell?

11. sleepy floyd

sleepy floyd IncGamers Member

I've played both a PvM Dreamer and an Auradin. They are both powerful, fun, builds that have a much different feel while playing them. I've soloed the game with both, without a merc, with no real issues. (except for IM, which no longer is an issue with the new patch)

I highly recommend looking at Doll Call's Dreamer guide in the stickies and consider building using the Dream zealer variant. Max HS, Res Lite, Conviction, Zeal. Get one point into redemption. Put all other points into Salv. With this build, you will have a strong physical/light attacks, good defense/FHR. With your high physical damage and a good amount of life leach/redemption, you will have no trouble keeping your red bulb full.

As for gear, your list looks good but I have some suggestions. I'd definitely use Enigma for the stat bonuses and the mobility of teleport. Consider using String of Ears as belt for damage reduction and life leach. Definitely use Grief and Highlords. I'd also use Laying of Hands for the 300% ed to demons.

The playing strategy is simple. Click on monster, zeal until dead. Your aura will kill off the non immunes in about 4 pulses. Confusion curse will trigger often enough for crowd control. Feels very safe to play and LL from your grief fueled zeal will keep your life full.

For an Auradin build, I'd max Res Lite, Res Fire, Salv, Conviction, get one point into Redemption (you'll use it alot!), one hard point into zeal (make sure you have at least 4 to hit max speed), the rest into HS. There are some good guides in the stickies to follow also.

With this build, you have much less flexiblity with equipment, since helm, armor, weapon and shield have dream, dragon. and HOJ runewords in them. You will have a very powerful dual fire/light attack and your aura pulses will kill most non immunes in 2 pulses. You don't have as much defense as a Dreamer, so you will be a little less stout in that respect.

For gear, I'd recommend using the same gear as for the Dreamer, except switching out the armor/weapon for Dragon/HOJ runewords. I'd also switch out the dual leach ring for a BK. The mana leach won't help that much and you really could use the extra 1+ skills.

Playing wise, it feels like you do more damage than the dreamer and you clear out entire rooms quicker. This is a good build if you like to watch monster die as you just stand there. You don't have much physical damage, so filling your red bulb can be tricky and is probably the most difficult aspect to manage with this build. You'll have to get really good at aura switching and flashing redemption often. Even if you have 20% LL you do such little physical damage that you don't leach as much life as you'd think. You are also less mobile, not having teleport, but using Vigor aura helps alot here.

This build plays a little more like a caster, where you find an open spot on the map and let your pulses do their work. You then go after and zeal anything left standing. Just remember to flash redemption often or you'll be drinking life potions.

I like both builds a lot and highly recommend them for PvM, although the Dream Zealer is my favorite. Also, Dream Zealers can Uber very well with a few gear swaps.

Now that we can respec, try them both and see which one you like best :thumbup:.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  12. Sarp

Sarp IncGamers Member

My apologies for this noobish question but i'm not too familiar with auradins. Somebody indicated to me that the stacking properties of dream (and dragon) got nerfed, so that the two lvl 16 auras wouldn't add together anymore.

This being the case, can an auradin still do insane damage in PvP like they used to? Will it just be one element (light or fire) versus both? I'm going to read closely through this thread and see what the deal is. I'd definitely like to make one, and getting a few dream items with grief I think is more affordable than another route.