Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dragoon Barb Build Help

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Bigman812, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Bigman812

Bigman812 IncGamers Member

Dragoon Barb Build Help

I've been using a hammerdin for a little while. His hammers hit with about 3500+ damage and I have yet to get into hell difficulty. The thing is is that I'm getting bored with the hammerdin. Sure, he hits hard and really nothing is a challenge for him, but it's getting to be a pain in the *** aiming the things and that's really the only thing I can do is throw hammers. I've been thinking about abandoning my hammerdin in exchange for a barb. A dragoon barb is my selection. Death from above, so to speak. For those of you who've never heard of a dragoon, the class is rather simple. Pump up the jump attack ability and arm yourself with a really powerful polearm. You'll hit like a ton of bricks, at least that's my theory. I have a few questions for the experts. Does anyone have a good build suggestion? Also, how far can a dragoon barb take me? I have never seen anyone using the dragoon style of play with a barb. Is it worth it? I'd like to try using a build that I see no one using. I notice that now that I'm in baal runs in nightmare difficulty, I see very few barbs. Maybe it's just me and I just happen to not see any. I figure for a build would be to up the mastery for polearms of couse. Max out the leap attack. And then I should probably do a warcry that stuns monsters so I can hop around without them moving away from me. Any build suggestions? Much appreciated.

2. Guntaas

Guntaas IncGamers Member

I've done a "Booyaka" build using the IK set (except the armor). A polearm would give you greater range than a maul, so you can hit monsters that move during your leap.
    As far as a build, the link above has a great one, but here are my reccomendations:
    Enough dex for eq, and the rest in str and vit. Vit is a big one, as you can still be hit by melee attacks in the air.
    20 in Leap attack
    20 in Leap - At lvl 20 the knockback radius is the entire screen, and it makes your leap attack do (I think)920% ed. (synergies, whoop!)
    20 in whatever mastery, polearm in your case, mace in mine...
    1-20 in bash (bam-BAM* is fun to do)
    1-5 in iron skin - no shield, gotta make it up somewhere
    1-5 in nat res - resistances are always good...
    1 in ww - LA can be very frustrating against large groups, esp. against the fallen. Use this to "clean house".
    1 in berserk- for those phys. immunes.
    1 in find pot and 1 in find item- just because I'm greedy.

I don't know what kind of eq is best, but I use the IK set and 'lionheart'ed ancient armor. I use a heart carver on weapon switch just for mfing.

My lvl 75 barb does 4k-6.5k dam. The only problem I have in Hell is killing them fast enough. Sure, you can leap and do massive damage, but to one monster. Mobs can be tricky. Leaping does let you dodge most arrows/spells,but iron maiden is instant death. Taunt would be good, just to thin out the herd a bit, and stop those nasty casters.

*one of the many great techniques out lined in the Booyaka link. Hehe... thriller shuffle...

3. Bigman812

Thanks for the info! I've started my dragoon, I'm up to level 25 now, and I'm having quite a good time with him. I've been doing a few Travinical runs and I can crush the council simply by hopping around on them. I was commended twice last night on the fact that I was using a spear barb as I was running around. They were saying that is was pretty cool and they don't see any barbs out there using a leap technique of play, so it must be pretty rare. I'm using a Vicious Pike and my weapons speed is rather slow, but it really doesn't matter because nothing can touch me. They're always just too far away from me to hit me with anything due to the range of the pike. Just use bash when you're hitting them on the ground. They can't get near you. I can't wait to see how this guy turns out in another 25 levels. The only things that I forsee as being a problem would be the Doom and Oblivion Knights and probably any other caster out there. I'll come back to update on how my dragoon is developing...That is if anyone care. :scratch:

4. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

What about BO ? Maybe i read over it but i dont think you had that listed. BTW i heard leap attack barbs are good for pvp also.

5. Bigman812

Battle Orders is a must. Remember that I'm not using a shield and I have to get all the vitality and armor that I can. I need to be able to take a beating when I land. So use both Battle Orders and that defense one. I think it's Shout. I only have 2 points in it, but that's enough to get me by. BO will be maxed out.

6. JohnYKR

JohnYKR IncGamers Member

leap barbs are terrible for pvp, very easy to dogde. although i have never heard of any kind of leap barb yours sounds like it will be able to hold its own quite well, just stay away from PvP.

7. Bigman812

Yeah. They definetly aren't PvP characters. Just something different and fun to see how far I can take it.