Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Draft to Sniperzon build version 2 input appriciated

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by lone_wolf, Feb 27, 2004.

1. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

Draft to Sniperzon build version 2 input appriciated

well well i added and changed some stuff so again i need your input about this build.

if something isent clear to you ask what i meant. same thing goes if you think i should change anything.

ok here goes:

Sniperzon build for ver 1.10 draft of guide number 2

Introduction:

Tired of the same old builds for the bowazon?
    Well then this build might be something for you.

What is the Sniperzon then?
    The Sniperzon is a bowazon that uses more strategy and skill then most cookie cutter builds from 1.09 but that is not the only difference between this build and old 1.09 builds.
    1 hit kills is the aim for this build but as monsters now has such a huge amount of hp in hell survival is more important then killing speed.
    So to make sure to stay alive and get the kills a Sniperzon follow these steps:

1 She uses her decoy as a shout to be able to see the monsters before they see her.
    2 She kills most monsters off screen to further ensure that she is in minimum danger at all times.
    3 with her merc and valk as tanks she should rarely see more monsters on screen then those her tanks fight.

That’s why this zon is much more defensive then most zon builds out there and as you read on you will understand why this build most used skill isn’t an attack skill.
    This zon also uses equipment many would normally never think of putting on a zon.
    So let’s start.

Stats points:

The simple rule here is to have enough Str to wear you equipment enough in vita for a good amount of life once you reach hell and the rest in dex for damage.

But as I know people generally want some tip of how to spend their points I will list what I recommend you to have on your Sniperzon.

Str 115 or more remember to count in any str bonus your end game gear will give you.

Why I have 115 STR listed as minimum is because it’s the STR req for one of best helm to use with this build.
    You can read more about what helm that is and why I recommend it later in the equipment section of this guide. I will also list another good end game helm for this build.

Dex here you should put any point you can spare once you got enough Str and vita

Vita I recommend you to put something like 70-120 points.

Your calls just remember that monsters in hell hit hard now. And any hc player knows that if you have only 1 life damage is secondary.

Energy is left at base as you don’t use any mana intensive skills in fact one of your main skill don’t use mana.

To give you an example my level 86 Sniperzon Kitana has these stats counting equipment bonuses:

Str 134
    Dex 361
    Vita 90
    Energy 35

*Note this damage is without other help then some poison charms*

Magic arrow level 26 does 705-1746
    Strafe level 26 does 573-1566

Life is 646 and mana 214 all her res is also maxed out in hell.

Skill points:

Since the last guide I have tried to find out if there was something I could change in the build that would make it more powerful without sacrifying to much.

Well as I have made 2 more Sniperzons since I made Zara I come to the conclusion that this szon don’t really need such a high level of critical strike as I first thought.

Therfor the skill plan for the build look abit different then last time.

All you who read this build should also note that this is how I did it, with the equipment I have for this zon. T Therfor you should see it as a exampleof how it, can be done not how it should be done.

Experiment and im sure somebody out there finds another way to build a sniperzon that suits their play style.

In the end my newest sniperzon ended up with these skill levels with equipment:

Bow skills:
    Magic arrow level 26
    Strafe level 26
    Rest of bow skills level 7
    Passive skills:
    Penetrate level 24
    Valkyrie level 21
    Pierce level 10
    Critical strike level 6
    Decoy level 7
    Rest is at level 5
    Spear skills:
    Jab level 5

Equipment:

First before I list the equipment I recommend for this build I want to point out what modifiers this build really benefit from.

These modifiers are knockback, prevent monster heal, open wounds, crushing blow, deadly strike, life and mana leech, amplify damage, FRW, FHR.

Knockback is obviously to keep the monsters away from us but it can also be of use to keep our merc alive as monsters that are hit with knockback wont damage our merc.

Prevent monster heal do exactly what it says it stops the regen of monsters witch in hell is very fast. And as we bowazons deal little damage too many monsters at a time we need it as monsters otherwise would heal to full life when we stop shooting at them.

Open wound may seem useless but it’s in reality a quite useful modifier as explained below:

Open Wounds works in a way similar to poison, although it isn't poison so the two effects can stack. It drains the victim's life over a period of time (8 seconds), and will prevent monster regeneration whilst it's in effect.

Open Wounds' damage per frame is computed as follows (L is the attacker's level, i.e. your level):

L=1-15: (9L+31)/256
    L=16-30: (18L-114)/256
    L=31-45: (27L-384)/256
    L=46-60: (36L-779)/256
    L=61-99: (45L-1319)/256

Since there are 25 frames per second in D2, multiply the resulting number by 25 to find the damage per second.

Crushing blow works as described below:

Regular monster: 1/4 melee, 1/8 ranged
    Bosses and Champions: 1/8 melee, 1/16 ranged
    anything else (including other players): 1/10 melee, 1/20 ranged

"Other" includes all types of boss monsters as well as other players and their hirelings. This doesn't sound like much, but if Izzy has 100,000 hps, taking off 1/20th with your bow would be worth 5,000 hps.

Just keep in mind that the percent of life taken away from the monsters is based on their current hp so it gets less and less effective the more you damage the monster.

NOTE: the damage of CB stays the same in Players 1 and Players 8 games so therefor CB is less useful in games with more players. Real or when you use /players 8. so in conclusion CB still works in higher player settings but since its damage isnt increased but the monsters hp are its less effective.

Deadly strike gives you another way except with critical strike to double your damage that info should be enough to anyone that wonder why we want to have that modifier.

Life and mana leech is not only useful for this build thanks to the fact that it gives us back life and mana when we attack the monsters.
    Life and mana leech is also your way of telling where the monsters are off screen.
    Granted you can’t use this tactic against unleenchable monsters or PI but that’s what you have your decoy for to shout for you. More on that in the strategy section.

Amplify damage give use about 100% more damage and it also break physical immunity on many monsters. So it’s a very useful modifier and breaking the physical immunity on the monsters don’t only benefit you but also your merc as he is then able to leech of the monster and inflict much more damage.

FRW or faster run walk is useful as you sooner or later will lose both your tanks in battle and then your best means of survival is to make a run for it and the faster you get away from the monsters the faster you can get your tanks back up.

FHR why use faster hit recovery?
    Well the new patch throw in some mean ranged attackers in the game and even if you play like a god you will sooner or later get hit even if it so is a random shot that wasn’t even aimed at you.
    With a decent faster hit recovery you can ensure that that hit won’t let the rest of the ranged attackers fill you with their shots.

Recommended Gear:

Helm Guillaumes Face (this build use a version of nightfishs CBSTU) or if you don’t think you need all that much CB on your zon Kiras guardian is a very nice helmet.

Amulet: Atmas scarab for its chance to cast amplify damage and therefor make it easier for both you and your merc to handle pi monsters.

Armour: everything from "lion_heart" to gloom and chains of honor works.
    nowdays I use a CoH myself and find that it works very well. But I bet nobody doubt that CoH works well consider its costs.

Belt: hawanins blessing is a nice belt that grant you prevent monster heal. If you have better equipment for this build you should use Razortail instead. As you then get prevent monster heal from another source.

Myself I use razortail as I have natures peace.

Gloves: laying of hands is a great set of gloves that you really should use for its 350% extra damage to demons and 50% fire res as well as the 20% ias.
    Another great pair of gloves is Ghoulhide for the large bonus to damage against undead like glooms.

Boots: there is really only one pair of boots you want for this build and that’s gore raider.
    Even trough goblin toe has a larger bonus to crushing blow the extra modifiers on gore raider makes it the better pair of boots.
    Rings: ultimately you want a raven frost and nature’s peace here but that is only if you can get your life and mana leech covered elsewhere like in your bow.
    Otherwise you should set for a dual leech ring and a raven frost here.

Weapon: a good weapon that should be able to take you trough the game is a nefed Lycanders aim. It can even be upgraded for more damage.
    The ultimate bow here would be a windforce socked with a Amn or if you have something else that take care of the life leech like for example CoH you can choose to socked it with something else then amn. its up to you

Sniperzon uses the following equipment:

Helm:

Kira's Guardian
    Tiara
    'Um'
    Defense: 142
    Durability: 25 of 25
    Required Level: 77
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0xcd5c8dd6
    +92 Defense
    All Resistances +80
    20% Faster Hit Recovery
    Cannot Be Frozen
    Socketed (1: 1 used)

Ammy:
    Atma's Scarab
    Amulet
    Required Level: 60
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 90
    Fingerprint: 0xa48089a2
    Poison Resist +75%
    +39 poison damage over 4 seconds
    Attacker Takes Damage of 5
    +3 to Light Radius
    20% Bonus to Attack Rating
    5% Chance to cast Level 2 Amplify Damage on striking

Armour:
    Chains of Honor
    Archon Plate
    'DolUmBerIst'
    Defense: 880
    Durability: 60 of 60
    Required Strength: 103
    Required Level: 63
    Fingerprint: 0xe55f511c
    +20 to Strength
    +70% Enhanced Defense
    Damage Reduced by 8%
    All Resistances +65
    8% Life stolen per hit
    Replenish Life +7
    25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    200% Damage to Demons
    100% Damage to Undead
    +2 to All Skill Levels
    Socketed (4: 4 used)

Belt:
    Razortail
    Sharkskin Belt
    Defense: 97
    Durability: 14 of 14
    Required Strength: 20
    Required Level: 32
    Fingerprint: 0x282ac216
    +15 to Dexterity
    +124% Enhanced Defense
    +10 to Maximum Damage
    +15 Defense
    Piercing Attack [33]
    Attacker Takes Damage of 86 (Based on Character Level)

Gloves:
    Laying of Hands
    Bramble Mitts
    Defense: 87
    Durability: 12 of 12
    Required Strength: 50
    Required Level: 63
    Fingerprint: 0xc9a57046
    +25 Defense
    Fire Resist +50%
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    350% Damage to Demons
    10% Chance to cast Level 3 Holy Bolt on striking

Boots:
    Gore Rider
    War Boots
    Defense: 146
    Durability: 34 of 34
    Required Strength: 94
    Required Level: 47
    Fingerprint: 0x3c10db53
    +20 to Maximum Stamina
    +172% Enhanced Defense
    +10 Maximum Durability
    Requirements -25%
    30% Faster Run/Walk
    10% Chance of Open Wounds
    15% Chance of Crushing Blow
    15% Deadly Strike

Ring1:
    Nature's Peace
    Ring
    Required Level: 69
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0x732596e6
    Damage Reduced by 11
    Poison Resist +29%
    Slain Monsters Rest In Peace
    Prevent Monster Heal
    Level 5 Oak Sage (27/27 Charges)

Ring2:
    Raven Frost
    Ring
    Required Level: 45
    Fingerprint: 0x3e1c57d1
    +20 to Dexterity
    +40 to Mana
    +241 to Attack Rating
    Adds 15-45 cold damage over 4 seconds
    20% Cold Absorb
    Cannot Be Frozen

Weapon:
    Lycander's Aim
    Grand Matron Bow
    'Nef'
    Two-Hand Damage: 65 to 257
    (Amazon Only)
    Required Dexterity: 152
    Required Strength: 108
    Required Level: 65
    Bow Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Fingerprint: 0xe328d474
    +20 to Energy
    +20 to Dexterity
    +20% Enhanced Defense
    +188% Enhanced Damage
    +25 to Minimum Damage
    +50 to Maximum Damage
    5% Mana stolen per hit
    Knockback
    +2 to Amazon Skill Levels
    Required Level +7
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    +2 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
    Socketed (1: 1 used)

The reason why I used this equipment on my new Sniperzon is because with this gear and the res scroll rewards she hits 75% all in hell without help from any charms. Therfor I could fill her inv with fine sc and vita sc.

Mercs:
    The mercs I feel complement this build the most are the holy freeze merc and the might merc.

The holy freeze merc is a great merc if you really feel the need to be safe. He also makes it easier for your valk to tank as the monsters will move much slower. The might merc is great for those that want to play a bit more offensive and feel the need for more damage and less crowd controll. This lack of crowd controll can be negelated by equipment choices for the merc but we come to that later.

Once you get your merc he will be weak and he may also die on you many times if your not casious. Im not that casious so mine has died quite a lot. But even if the merc dies when you try to level him or he is inable to tank don’t give up, he wont lose exp when dying like you do so he iset damaged by his own deaths you are…

A merc can be a very powerful ally but if you just give him a cracked spear he wont help you much so make sure he gets some kind of life steal, and that he has something that give him res and possible also dr%. note while dr% is nice its not critical for your merc. Life steal and res on the other hand affects him a lot. Some good mods on equipment you could give to your merc is Cb,Ow,Ds and even new ones like HF aura, thorns aura, static field, and other things that will help him stay alive longer.

Merc gear: while we play a more defencive build we also want to be able to dish out some damage. Its not fun if you need others help to kill stuff right.

Well what merc gear would suit this build then??

Its easy even though we have strafe as our crowd controll skill our merc also needs something that effects many monsters at a time.

Therefor the reapers toll or a cresant moon weapon is a good choice. For even more crowd control we could slap a Delirium helment on the merc. That way he even give us breathing room when he get hit. Now if we also give him a armour such as gloom we can have the benefit of blinded rnaged attackers too from time to time.

As you might have understood by now my merc is equipped like this.

So here is he my level 83 might merc Pratham:

Helm:

Delirium
    Diadem
    'LemIstIo'
    Defense: 321
    Durability: 20 of 20
    Required Level: 64
    Fingerprint: 0x1150a323
    +10 to Vitality
    +261 Defense
    50% Extra Gold from Monsters
    25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +2 to All Skill Levels
    11% Chance to cast Level 18 Confuse on striking
    6% Chance to cast Level 14 Mind Blast when struck
    14% Chance to cast Level 13 Terror when struck
    1% Chance to cast Level 50 Magic Shrine when struck
    Level 17 Attract (60/60 Charges)
    Socketed (3: 3 used)

Armour:

Gloom
    Wire Fleece
    'FalUmPul'
    Defense: 1398
    Durability: 32 of 32
    Required Strength: 111
    Required Level: 53
    Fingerprint: 0x34a14bcc
    +10 to Strength
    +247% Enhanced Defense
    All Resistances +45
    -3 to Light Radius
    10% Faster Hit Recovery
    5% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
    Half Freeze Duration
    15% Chance to cast Level 3 Dim Vision when struck
    Socketed (3: 3 used)

Weapon:
    Thresher
    Two-Hand Damage: 39 to 469
    Durability: 51 of 65
    Required Dexterity: 89
    Required Strength: 114
    Required Level: 75
    Polearm Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0x9e6cd985
    GUID: 0xd46c2727 0xe19e0a45 0x0
    +233% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 4-44 cold damage over 2 seconds
    14% Life stolen per hit
    Requirements -25%
    Ignore Target Defense
    33% Deadly Strike
    33% Chance to cast Level 1 Decrepify on striking

Strategy tips:

Your decoy is there for a reason use her she is your best bait to lure monsters out.
    That’s why you when playing the Sniperzon should cast the decoy at the edge of the screen when ever you advance future on the map. Using your decoy this way won’t only make it easier to target your enemies it will also save you life many times.
    For example I once casted my decoy at the edge of the screen and it was instantly greeted with the explosion of 5 suicide minions. Hey I would not have survived that if they had hit me instead of my decoy.

Learn to take out key targets first.
    That is killing the monsters that pose the biggest threat to your char first.

A example a fallen shaman is a bigger threat then a fallen so you should take the fallen shaman out first. But if you have a few fallen running at you to attack you, they pose a bigger threat then the shaman and should be killed first.
    This becomes easier once you get pierce as you then can aim a the shaman and still hit the minions.
    Also remember to use the terrain to your advantage. For example if there is a pack of ranged attackers shooting at you and there is rocks or other obstacles nearby take cover behind them. Then plan for your next move.
    When you face larger groups of monsters later in the game I advice you to switch to strafe and hit them all this to make it easier for your merc and valk as they get weaker target to tank.
    Sometimes like when facing oblivion fighters and mages strafe is your best bet as you will shoot straight trough the fighters and hit the mages at the same time.
    Also remember that the range of strafe has been improved so you can now auto target monsters of screen. This feature is very useful when you fight glooms as they are a bit hard to spot when they move around.
    The nice thing is that they can’t hide from strafe.

Also a thing to remember about ranged attackers slow missiles is your friend. But to be able to slow them down you need to distract them and the means you have to distract them with is either your decoy, valk or merc.
    I rather have my valk killing of other monsters so what I do is that I cast a decoy behind the ranged attackers so they turn around and start shooting at the decoy instead of me then I cast slow missiles and start killing them. If you want to kill them faster you can also recast your valk in the middle of them. Works good against glooms too.

Credits:

Credit goes to Nightfish at the single player forum at diabloii.net for coming up with the Nightfishs CBSTU â„¢ that is better explained in his own guide right here:

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthr...ghlight=solozon

To RTB for answering many of my questions as I made this build up.

The original inventor of the Sniperzon build back in the days of classic.

The forum members at the forums I am a member in. even if you don’t know it you have helped me a lot. If so with nothing else then to keep my motivation to write this guide up.

To Iceman for pointing out that I should explain why I call the build
    Sniperzon.

To jarulf for providing the new formulas for CB and OW

To lprman for pointing out the benefits of kiras guardian

A special thanks for the help also goes to Hakai no Tenshi for making ATMA as I know I could not have made this char without the help of this excellent muling application.

2. lone_wolf

sorry for putting this on the front page again. but its seems that quite a few still read the first version. and i rather have their input on this draft.

so i can be done with version 2 as quick as possible.

3. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

hmmm you've mentioned that for boots get a gore rider but you've also mentioned that hrw is good so what would you advocate then? gores are good for damage but if you need good running, frw scs are not going to beat a pair of boots w/ fast run (aldurs, nat, sandstorm, sanders, just to name a few). maybe you would like to discuss how you would suggest an implementation of frw.

you've also mentioned just two bows for this build (lycander and wf). would appreciate to see more and a discussion (of course, w/o a doubt wf is the best but it would be best to discuss mid-range ones too) especially against the hot-debated buriza, goldstrike, wws, hellrack, ebow and even brc would be good.

looking forward to a better sniperzon build :yep:

4. lone_wolf

finerly some input:D

well first boots gore raiders have 30% faster run/walk while for example the boots you mention have at most 10% more faster run walk that can be easily made up with frw sc more so if they are from 1.09 and add 5% instead of 3%.

even so you listed sandstorm even trough they have less frw then gore raiders why??

on too the bows

the buriza is to me ultra cheese on a zon so thats why its not listed. its also very slow and i hate strafing slowly against fast moving monsters. goldstrike is a good bow and works well with strafe. the only thing it lack is leech but that you can fix pretty easy with dual leech rings for example.

the wws is not included because it gives you free level 20 MA direct from the bow. though you could make a totaly different build with it and disregard putting more then 1 point in MA with that bow. besides there are spesific builds out there to make the most use of the wws.

hellrack has the same xbow slowness as buriza and it also recquires alot of strenght that could be better spent in dex if you use another bow.

the bows I used at low level was the following bows:

skystrike for the +skills, ias, lightning damage and the nice ctc of meteor.

Endlesshail for the extra skills to strafe and the nice cold damage witch helps against crowds as they move slower when chilled.

Magewrath for its amazing crowd controll(hit blinds target) and its huge mana leech(helps fule strafe early on)

goldstrike arch for the nice ias and the extra damage to demons and undead(even though the fist of heaven CTC can be very annoying) it can even be upgraded and used all the way to mat and even after that.

cliff killer is another good bow with its built in KB and +skills and fairly high damage.

another bow worth mention is eaglehorn because it can be a great bow if you have your leech covered by other equipment.

the ar bonus and itd really helps your zon to hit things and the plus skill is a icing on the cake.

the reason i list lyc and wf as the best bows is because both arew very good for this build.

the wf explain itself more or less direct..

but the reason i like lyc is that it gives you mana leech from the bow witch free up equipment slots. the +4 to bow skills is also very nice.

it also comes with 20% ias and even give you dex.

so feel free to post more comments and thoughts.

i hope some of you would be able to give me some hints about what i can improve in the strategy section too.

5. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

I think my Witchyzon zon is still pretty close to the sniperzon build. Maybe close enough to be considered a variant or an "economy model" sniperzon. The differences I see are, a little less strength (still enough for Gores) needed, the obvious skill ecomony, and maybe a little more focus on speed.

Your strat section is fine. It is very hard to put into words something that becomes intuitive. It's kind of like trying to teach someone how to ride a bicycle. Very tough to put into words, and you have done as well as anyone has. G/J!

6. lone_wolf

yep the witchyzon could be said to be a sniper but i think that would be to not give credit to hunky and others who have strived to make the most use of the wws.

altrought the strat section might be good it can always be improved.

and the input i get from your other members really help making it better:thumbsup:

7. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

sandstorm has lesser frw no doubt but it's one of those boots that have stamina recovery (other than aldur and nat methink). so it's actually balanced off in that sense. also, looking at w/ts and silkweaves, it would be nice to make a passing mention about why they was not considered as one of the choices for a sniperzon in favour of attacking. you could go on to choices of equipment if defence is needed in a defensive build (ie something screwed up along the way, and the zon has too little health, passives, or a nice bows gets passed along).

now regarding the bows/xbows. i'm not that sure whether faster= better after reading the other thread that i made a fool of myself and you and freyas had to come up with a better explanation. of which, it can be noted that slow= better damage though not faster. those slow and heavy bows and xbows could make pretty good on switch weapons when you need the damage more than the speed. also, the wws would really make a good switch too especially for those oh so annoying pi (of course atma is good but ma is always hit isn't it? and more so useful esp when you run out of arrows/bolts and you're still trigger-happy blowing off monsters' heads :teeth: )

still, a good piece written and deserve compliment. hope to see this stickied soon...

8. lone_wolf

the reason i think gore raiders is better then those boots you listed is because of the combat mods on it.

the CB is very nice even though its of less use in high players games. due the the fact that it dont scale aka do more damage in higher players settings.

the DS explain itself. a chance of double damage that interact with critical strike is nice. aka if you miss the chance of double damage on critical strike the double damage can still be rolled on deadly strike.

OW is a very very nice modifier that many seems to miss.

for example using the formula:

Open Wounds' damage per frame is computed as follows (L is the attacker's level, i.e. your level):

L=1-15: (9L+31)/256
    L=16-30: (18L-114)/256
    L=31-45: (27L-384)/256
    L=46-60: (36L-779)/256

Since there are 25 frames per second in D2, multiply the resulting number by 25 to find the damage per second.

and taking my level 87 sniperzon as a example

where L in this case is 87 so (45*87-1319)/256= (3915-1319)/256= 2596/256= 10.140625

10.140625*25(because we want the damage per sec)= 253.515625

and now OW is in effect for 8 sec so the damage over time will be 253.515625*8= 2028.125 a 2k extra damage is nothing i wouldnt use on a zon but that is me.

regarding bows and xbows your right that with the affect of next delay a high speed strafe is not that good against single targets. though you could have a xbow on swith if you feel the need for it. myself i have not focused on speed alot on this version of my sniperzon though she strafes at 11/3 with gives her good enough speed, against those pesky groups of monsters that try to kill my decoy and valk and still works well against single targets.

is a little bit of a personal preference too i hate xbows :howdy:

but they can be used on for example a weapon switch like your said. i have one of my burizas on switch but as i hate that xbow and i seems to kill fast enough without it i have never used it.

the wws would be a great bow on swith if you dont have atma scarab or want to use another ammy like highlords.

but to correct you no MA is not always hit but it get a huge ar bonus

to give you all a hint here is a chart of what a high level MA gives for ar bonus

level:

20 = 181% ar bonus
    21 = 190% ar bonus
    22 = 199% ar bonus
    23 = 208% ar bonus
    24 = 217% ar bonus
    25 = 226% ar bonus
    26(my current level of MA) = 235% ar bonus

this becomes about +14k ar for my zon but that is with level 24 penetrate and quite a few fine small charms and other means that improve ar.

when she wields 2 raven frosts that up her dex to 384 she has a attack rating on MA of +16k with is very nice.

you can be as trigger happy as you want once you got ma above level 12 aka level 13 but of course higher is better:D

for example my level 26 MA does this while costing NO mana and NO arrows:

converts 26% of physical damage into magic damage
    to attack rating: 235%
    damage: +26

with 100% pierce its a nice attack even against groups if you can ge them to line up.

keep the input coming it helps me correct and change the guide and it also let me revaluate quite a few things.

like the xbows....

9. Vanderinz

Vanderinz IncGamers Member

suggestion's for Merc/self

I see what you are using for your merc...I myself am using a Might Merc and also using a Doom runeword in a eth cryptic axe. he has the benifit of both the aura from might thus increasing my damage and the frozen aura to help with CC so i can stick and move quicker.

I also see that you are wearing 2 cannot be frozen items..wouldn't a good rare leech ring be better for this build?

10. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

for a merc, crescent moon would be the idea to shoot for. Of course, not everyone is rich, so grab whatever good pikes you'll find along the way like hone sundan, kelpie (low level), manhunters, war pikes and give him. that's my $0.02 on mercs. as for aura, for a sniper_zon build, I would say a might merc might be good as he not only raises your attack power (which is desireable in this build), your valk's attack as well as his attack. That being said, of course defensive mercs like defiance mercs and hf mercs are also good to have and it's a matter of preference to which one you like.

11. killerxbabe

killerxbabe IncGamers Member

Nice guide, and while I understand your trepidation concerning the use of xbows on a zon and the speed hit incurred, the next delay when using strafe is quite irritating when strafing a single monster. I.E. act bosses. As much as i hate to say that slower is better when taking on a single monster with strafe (I just love WWS and Goldie) I have to say that at times it can be true. So what speed bow would be nice on the switch for when it's you vs. the last monster standing? Anyone remember the speed at which the next delay causes most of your arrows to be unable to hit vs. a single monster?

I'd also like to hear any recommendations you might have regarding this build as it applies to HC.

Edit: Found Kira's Gaurdian listed on Arreat Summit but I can't find it on this site. Is Diabloii.net not up to date on all the 1.10 items?

12. lone_wolf

Vanderinz the only reason i still have the raven frost on is the boots to dex and cold absorb on it nothing else. so yes a rare ring could help this build too.

about the merc i myself use a might merc as you might have seen.

the reason he has the equipment he has is because i dont have the runes for doom and though cant make him have 2 auras.

both equipments improve crowd controll though.

simmk81 crescant moon is nice yes i have tested it. liked the decrypify on the reapers toll better though. its again a matter of preference.

killerxbabe xbows can even though i hate them;) be used on weapon siwth with great result against single targets. to take a example baal.

cant recall the speed where you miss most arrows but its somewhere on the board.

for hc i would make sure to improve the vita part of this build to atleast 120

then i would not play with a might merc but with a holy freeze merc as the main thing in hc is to live not to kill faster then anyone else.

dont play much hc so cant really give any good advice.

mayby a hc player could test the build out for hc.

EDIT: killerxbabe no this site is not up to date on all items

13. TerrorClown

TerrorClown IncGamers Member

Just 2 questions

1. Why magic arrow and not guided ?
    2. Can this build be done on classic ?

I jus find ur build so maybe someelse already asked this just like to know why u use magic arrows. Well hope to hear some from ya soon. :thumbsup:

14. lone_wolf

well MA is a good skill to not only use against PI monsters but also to use against unleechable monbsters like skeletons and that like.

as it requires no mana after level 13.

as it at level 13 no longer require mana or even arrows its a great spam skill to use to see if there is monsters of screen.

hold down shift and aim at the end of the screen if you see the mana and life swirls above your head you have leech able monsters there.

to ensure that you dont run into some unleechable monsters of screen you simply cast a decoy at the edge of the screen.

you must also remember that MA nowdays convert 20% of your physical damage to magical damage at level 20 and give you a huge ar bonus.

thats a few reasons why i use MA for this build.

GA is still a good skill but it can be left at one point and still be used.

for your other question i cant answer really the orgional build was made in classic and was a great way to handle the lower resulution you was stuck with then.

but if i remember right you used maxed GA and maxed MA in classic.

witch made the build very safe.

havent played classic for years so cant say how good it is

also in classic MA dont get any convert% bonus or the ar bonus as far as i can remember.

15. Gaff

Gaff IncGamers Member

Nice guide.

I have a few suggestions that would be good:

* Can you include some suggest mf gear and strategies?
    * What about discussing gear for people who aren't quite so rich? :)
    * Is magic arrow the only way to go with that 2ndary skill?

16. lone_wolf

hum hum perhaps i can i have the various normal mf gear that i can stuff on her to test it out. to sad the res will drop totaly.

but if you run places like the pit its doable with little risk.

its quite hard to discuss gear for those that arent rich for me as im a sp player and it differ quite a bit from bnet play.

i need to know then what you think is gear for the rich as most of that might be very common and easy to get for me.

no magic arrow is not the only skill to use but i favour it as its spammable gives a ar boost helps you deal with PI and its also one of the first bow skill you can use.

17. Gaff

Gaff IncGamers Member

Single player eh? Must by a dying breed :lol:

Items for the rich:
    Any gear with a rune >= Ist in in (80% of your gear!) :)
    Kira's guardian
    Windforce
    Eaglehorn

Just about affordable for someone who plays a bit but doesn't live by diablo:
    Lycander's aim
    Buri,
    Bloodraven't charge
    Hellrack
    goldstrike (depending on stats)
    Kuko-shaku

Just to put that in comparison, the gear I use is:
    Shaeld buri,
    Nefed Goldstrike (with fairly good stats, but self found and I got lucky)
    Goreriders (another good self find, these are fairly expensive)
    Laying-Of-Hands / Chance guards - depending if I'm mfing or not.
    +2 amazon skills tiara with some other handy-but-not-great mods (I have shako on another char, don't like muling it too often)
    Goldwrap or string of ears belt (I don't think razortail is too expensive, I might buy it)
    "Somke" (nef lum) wire fleece. This is a bargain for the cost of a lum rune you get +50 all res, +lots of defence +... (I also have 4 Ptopaz wire fleece for mfing)
    I also have a hellrack (with 2 jewels of freedom so the str req isn't too high) which I occasionally use for PI monsters.
    Ravenfrost
    allres / mf ring (depending on what I'm doing)
    allres / mf amu (depending on what I'm doing)

My merc has:
    Undead crown (5% life leech)
    Atma's wail armour
    Viperfork (this is cheap since nobody uses it!)

18. lone_wolf

well ok counting the ones i have from 1.09 i have 4 buriza as of now.

2 eaglehorns 3 mavinas caster, the full mavinas caster set, 2 hell rack, 3 or 4 lycanders aim, about 4 gore raiders, currently have 8 laying of hands.

i think i would count as rich by the standards you post then correct?

i think the fact that our maps stay the same if you dont switch difficulty or join a tcp/ip game makes it easier for us sp players to do our mf runs.

for example i have looked at posts here where people talk about how only rich people have shako and stormshield. while i have 3 shako and 3 stormshields and i havent even tried to collect them.

anyway i guess i have to take damn soj economy in account when i talk about gear for the build.

so ok this is what i consider normal or low gear to use on a sniperzon

helm vampiregaze, stealskull or tals mask
    ammy mana leech ammy or something better
    armour duriels shell, smoke, lionheart
    belt string, goldwrap, Hwanin's Blessing, razortail
    gloves crafted gloves, loh, lava gout
    ring1 raven frost Note i got 10 raven frost or more so for me they are common.
    ring2 rare dual leech ring or something else that help the build.
    weapon lycanders aim, goldstrike, buriza,
    boots goblin toe, gore raiders

myself i used

gulliames face, cresant moon ammy, lionheart, Hwanin's Blessing, raven frost, a life leech ring, upgraded lycanders(still use the same bow), gore raiders, loh before i upgraded to the gear i use nowdays.

19. Gaff

Gaff IncGamers Member

I wouldn't say I was rich but probably reasonably well off (or at least my bowazon is) I still need windforce or lycanders and I'm not even close to some of the runewords you suggest. I'm not certain but I believe the game is configured to drop a lot better in single player so its not fair to compare single player wealth with multiplayer.

Your equipment looks fair, its kind of typical for cheaper gear. If you've not already, take a look at the metorb guide in the sorceress section, it is really well formated and lists items in order of preference for each slot. Its a good format to copy.

20. lone_wolf

gaff its a good idea to look at my sniperzon version 1 i describe more about my when my other sniperzon had lower gear on her.

by the way single player arent different from ladder. we just dont get the clone or the fix for the FE bug.

besides most of us play normal and nightmare at /players 8

alone we might play at /players 1 in hell but once we set up a tcp/ip game its /players 8.

i will check out the metorb guide for that format you speak about.

and remember that this is a draft only i will include various level of equipment in the final guide that is both for "rich" players and alos for those that have a life as you called it;)