Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

DR Merc

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PyroStock, May 2, 2005.

1. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

DR Merc

Jeweler's Ancient Armor of Amicae
    Defense: 223
    Durability: 60 of 60
    Required Strength: 100
    Required Level: 47
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 97
    Fingerprint: 0x98f9a37
    Damage Reduced by 14
    Socketed (4: 0 used)

Coronet of Life Everlasting
    Defense: 30
    Durability: 30 of 30
    Required Level: 39
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 95
    Fingerprint: 0x79af832d
    Damage Reduced by 22

Assuming Larzuk did 2 sockets on the coronet and add some Sols that would be 78PDR. IIRC, someone said you need ~90PDR to be practically PI, so he wouldn't be PI but could it be better than 50%PDR?
    Or am I way off? :eek: :cool:

2. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

never mind me.... nothing to see here

3. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

I always thought %PDR was better than fixed numbers, but I read somewhere that there's a cap on the %value (50 I think) while there isn't one for static PDR. Bear in mind also that monsters that do over 90 damage and attack often are common in Hell, champion packs will also do more than enough damage to get past the PDR on your equipment but they won't kill you as quickly because of the reduction (depends on your mercenary). Elemental attacks will also completely ignore PDR so gloams and the like will still shread your mercenary if you aren't careful.

That's my take on it, I hope it helps.

4. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

I believe that 90DR will make your char practically invincible to physical damage through all of normal and large portions of nightmare. For reference, Minions of Destruction (the last wave of Baal's minions) do base damage of 78 max in nightmare. If they don't have anything like Extra Strong or an aura on them, then you will feel no physical damage from them. In hell, on the other hand, those guys do 83-145 damage, and almost always come with a damage increasing mod as well, so if you figure they'll usually do more like double that (166-290), then you can see that your 78DR is only ~25% reduction and you'd be better off going with max PDR (50%).

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

With 78 PDR you shouldn feel much if any damage from regualr monsters in hell, and only those with daamge boosting mods or auras on them will really hurt you. If you could get some resonable %PDR on as well, that would help alot.
    If you can get shaftshop then thats 30%PDR right there, combine with the 2 socket helm which will add 36DR, he will never take much damage from anything, and hold up much better against bosses with tough mods than before.

6. PyroStock

Ok. For some reason I thought "DR by #" took place before resists and enhancements, but I see now it only takes place before resists. Thanks.

7. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Since PDR by X is deducted before %PDR, I don't think there's much point stacking up both at the same time.

If you have 78PDR and 50% PDR and the monster did 100 damage, all that PDR was reduce your damage by 6.

Of course having both is great but I think focusing your equipment would yield better overall results. The shaftstop+36PDR might be a good balance actually.

8. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that you are not really invulnerable. Even if you had infinite reduce damage by x, you still take the damage, though you immediately get healed for the reduction amount. If you happen to take more damage than you have hitpoints (pre-reduction) you will die.

9. PyroStock

I thought only absorb did that. So I guess RD by x and MDR by x is only physical and magical absorb, but worse.

10. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

AFAIK, this is not the case. I believe that DR and PDR actually reduce the amount of damage dealt to your char, and has nothing to do with healing the same amount. You are still vulnerable to elemental attacks, but will never see the damage from those physical attacks.

11. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member