Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Dr. Goober's Treatise on High Runewords

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by GooberGrape, Sep 19, 2006.

1. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Dr. Goober's Treatise on High Runewords

There seems to be a pandemic amongst the newer members that Hellforge rushing generates piles and piles of Gul runes, which should be promptly cubed into ultra-high runes for future use.

Do you have any idea of the actual value of a Zod? No? Let me put it into perspective:

It takes 256 Gul runes to make a Zod.

*cue Benny Hill music*

Code:
    Relative cost of a runeword in Gul runes:

Heart of the Oak               2
    Call to Arms                   4
    Grief                          8
    Fortitude                      8
    Dragon                        24
    Chains of Honor               32
    Dream                         32
    Beast                         32
    Infinity                      64
    Faith                         68
    Enigma                        96
    Doom                         140
    Pride                        152
    Last Wish                    240
    Breath of the Dying          258
    In plain English, I'd rather have Heart of the Oak, Call to Arms, Grief, Fortitude, Chains of Honor, Infinity, Beast, AND Enigma than a single Breath of the Dying. I'd even have runes to spare, maybe put a couple Ists into a couple Ali Babas, or make a Chaos claw for fun.

Enjoy reading this? Write to [email protected] and post your questions!

-GG

2. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

part 2 to this is how many hell forge quests does it take to get a GUL? The answer is your odds are 1/12. Not bad, just don't expect to be rolling in the wealth on your first try.

OT, nice avatar - long live the best RPG ever.

3. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I thought it was 1:11

Hel, Io, Lum, Ko, Fal,
    Lem, Pul, Um, Mal, Ist, Gul

???

[/nitpick]

4. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

Nice thread GG.

Just to add to it....

HF rushing is an excellent and *sure* way to get HR's, but it will still not be quick.

On average rushing (a little over) 3 sets of 7 characters to the NM and Hell forges will nett you an Ohm rune.

Depending on your luck at the HF, you can expect to rush between 25 and 30 sets of 7 to cube a Ber. (176 - 210 characters)

A Jah will be double that (352 - 420 chars)

A Cham ( 704 - 840)

A Zod (1408 - 1680)

5. Peppe

Peppe IncGamers Member

I wondering on the ber front how many hours of lower kurast running it would take?

25 and 30 sets of 7 to cube a Ber is what 75 hours? I know there is the benefit of hellforge consistent rune growth, but if all you are after is the high ones...

6. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

It took me 30 sets to cube a ber and that took me over a month (but then again I didn't cube all of the lower runes)

in comparison Marvel was running LK at around the same time and netted 2 bers, and a Lo (iirc) in a month. Then again Marvel was playing 10+ hours a day and did something in the order of 31K runs:shocked:

7. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

The idea is that gradually, with consistent playing, you're better of rushing than doing LK. There is just a guarantee factor that runes will drop. And with rushing, you can certainly plug away are the RW's, and remake them if you're not satisfied with your rolls (if I could, I would re-roll my 32% HotO).

The alure of HF rushing is that given time, those runes that turn characters from demi-gods to god among men (Lo for grief/fort, Ber/jah for enigma) are within reach, given time.

crg

8. Peppe

Peppe IncGamers Member

Yeah lately with only about an hour a day to play i have found it easier to do some LK runs and some boss runs... so these big projects to go after the elite items are a little out of my reach.

My time lately is going to rounding my characters... i have a slight ocd where i like to puase characters at nice mulitples of five, so even though i am a little bored of my poisen necro i am plugging away at getting him to 75 before i strip his items for other chars. Most of the rest of my characters are sitting at 80, 85, or 90.... i don't like necromancers much so going to leave him and his summoner buddy at 75 for a while.

I was having fun with a zerker barb and accidently took him to 76 before his weapons fizzled out... so going to have to find something to equip on him to push through to 80.

9. RedArchon

RedArchon IncGamers Member

Back when I first started posting here there were only a select few of people with high runes/runewords. Now it seems that since you can trade high runes/runewords if you post where they came from, there has been alot more being "found". It doesn't take much to hack a rune and drop it on the ground and take a screenshot or post a fake readout since there is no fingerprint on runes.

I'm not trying to call out anyone or judge anyone's integrity. There's alot of people here who I'm confident are 100% legit. I'm just saying it's all too easy to get away with hacked runes. :undecided:

10. DIIRob

DIIRob IncGamers Member

Man, I love how Breath of the Dying and its Zod outvalue even Last Wish! :grin:

The Zod rune is truly rare on an entirely different level as compared to any other item in the game.

11. Josiphos

Josiphos IncGamers Member

I'm still in awe that, as far as I can tell, all hr trade at exactly the same value

Goes from Lem, pul, um to Hr (any).

2 Um = any hr

ist = vex = zod = ohm

Now why on EARTH would that be so? Unless, Hr are basically worthless dupes...

I saw an item auctioned for 50 hr the other day...

Do you know how many years that would take just to get 50 hr?

Bnet is screwed.

12. Hamburger

Hamburger IncGamers Member

One thing though: LK doesn't only net you runes, you can also get some nice charms.....and gems drop rather often also, but then again you get gem drops with the HF too....

Anyway, nice writing doctor :grin:
    *Pets his Pul rune* (my highest yet, meh :laugh: )

13. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

That's my current aim. I'm running for the flawless gems, charms and jewels. I gotta get my some cold skillers.

crg

14. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

Can somebody tell me if a Zod rune is actually higher in rarity than a 1.08 Unique Archon Staff? I've been wondering about this for quite a long time because I remember that there was a "nasty bug" back then that didn't allow TCs above 66 to drop from monsters, or something like that. Therefore the only way of garnering those high level items was to run racks.

15. DIIRob

DIIRob IncGamers Member

I can hardly believe it myself, but according to ATMA, the old Stormspire Archon Staff was more rare than a Zod Rune. Wow!

16. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure that they never enabled the item drop for that staff, so if that's the case, it's guaranteed to be hacked. Or was that 1.07? Or am I just plain mistaken?

Also, I've often wondered which is more rare (and by what factor)... Zod or Tyraels? Please don't answer, I figure I'll work on my grail and one of them will drop (in ~25 years), and then I'll finally look it up in ATMA 12.03 :grin:.

17. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Yes the above poster was right about 1/11 - I miscounted. I think the best chance to cube hrs is by running the countess. She can drop up to Lo and her Rune drop is up to Ist. You can count on the rune drop very time. I've never gotten an Ist+ from her, but I have gotten a bunch of Mal's. That's also my record rune from the hell forge for that matter. It probably takes me a few hours to self rush a char to the hell hellforge, but I can run the countess in about 60-90 seconds.

18. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

No, I do remember one person found a legitimate 1.08 Stormspire way back when. Matt...someone Matt or Matt someone, from memory. I'm sure it'll be locked away in the database that was lost all those aeons ago.

19. DIIRob

DIIRob IncGamers Member

I'll go ahead and say Zod by a longshot. This case is contingent on who you're killing, however.

20. herobomberman

herobomberman IncGamers Member

if my current sorc was killing hell baal, tyraels is about 23 times more likely to drop im afraid. (500 mf vs no mf for a zod)

and when i say more likely, i mean.. its not going to.