download limits on isp

bengoin

Diabloii.Net Member
download limits on isp

im thinking of changing to a different isp. my current download limit is unlimited but the one im thinking of changing to has a 2gb download limit. i play wow and a few other online games and browse the web pages a bit. no downloading of movies or songs or anything like that. just wanna know if it is possible to hit that 2gb limit within a month of playing games. ( i dont get out. spend all my time online :p)

Wow, 2GB a month seems really low. I know you said you don't download anything, but geez. With downloading movies and stuff I've gone as high as 10GB in a day.

skihard

Banned
2gb a month is VERY low, just playing *crowbar* can get you above that in a month. If you play WOW an average of 2 hours a day you will reach your limit in about 14-16 days, that is if the only thing you do is play WOW, no email, no web pages, only the game.

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
Not neccesarily. Depends on what kind of WoW he plays. If he's a hardcore raider, 5-6 hours a day, 5-6 days a week plus vent he'll use much more than if he just plays pretty casually. That said, yes, 2 gig is very very low, even if you aren't downloading big files.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
What country are you in? Down here it's hard to get decent download limits for a reasonable price. I was stuck on 1Gb for ages, now I have 2Gb peak / 7Gb off-peak, and that seems to at last be enough to get me through a whole month without speed-limiting. Mind you, I don't play WoW.

bengoin

Diabloii.Net Member
well im from uk. so it is possible to get higher but im trying to save money. im shocked at my results from using netstat. its only been on a few mins and all i done is a little chatting on msn, came on to the forum for this post and its on 3.5 mb as of what im writing now. i can total up a lot more soon enough. im guna run it for a week. times it by 4 then if i get over 2g im guna be screwed. damn 4.2 mb now. i dont think 2gb will be enough. thanks to every1 for there input here :)

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, apparently internet access is much cheaper in the U.S.; they were all shocked when I told them I was limited to 1Gb, but at the time that was fairly high.

Shop around, that's the only advice I can give.

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
since when did isps put dl limits for customers? I know that my isp gets pissed if we upload too much so they don't allow us to run servers unless we get the "server package." But I'm on a 15 mbit cable connection with all the dl i want.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
since when did isps put dl limits for customers? I know that my isp gets pissed if we upload too much so they don't allow us to run servers unless we get the "server package." But I'm on a 15 mbit cable connection with all the dl i want.
All ISPs do that here in Australia.

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
hm... that's weird.. I could never get used to that. I'm doing research on a school report at the end of the month and all of the sudden my internet dies because i reached the dl limit. wtf?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
In the old days the way it worked was that you paid for a certain amount of downloads, and after that they start charging you a ridiculous price per megabyte. Now most ISPs have a different thing - after you reach your limit they simply limit you to dialup speeds until the end of the month.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
generally when you reach a dl limit they lower your dl speeds instead of restricting your connection

edit: pwnd by Dondrei

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
ah ok.. that seems more reasonable. I thought it would be something like cell phone overage charges. That would be rediculous lol

bengoin

Diabloii.Net Member
well after shooping round i think i found one to my tastes of price and limit. its only a 1mb connection but that should be more then ample for playing wow and browsing web pages. plus it has unlimited download limit. also its a hell of a lot cheap. im only dropping from 2mb to 1mb but the price is great :D download limits suck