Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Down the tubes...

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Khianna, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Khianna

Khianna IncGamers Member

Barb, down the tubes. Why?

So, I'm in nightmare with my level 63 conc barb and my friend the level 85 orb sorc. We are entering the room to take on Baal's minions. There had been a couple of dolls running around on the level, so we were being extra careful. I noticed a bunch of hell witches (just white) starting to surround the sorc so I taunt them away. Probably unnecessary, but just being cautious. Only one of the witches makes it to me, the rest die enroute. There is nothing else around me, and I wasn't cursed, had full life, so I take a swing at her. Deeds screen, slain by hell witch. I hadn't even hit her yet.

I was wearing shaftstop, so 30% pdr, res 75/60/60/75 and freshly bo'd to have 1500 life and around 9k defense, not counting when I was swinging with concentrate. I was mystified, sorc was mystified, never seen anything like it.

This a make-a me crazy... :flip:

Am I missing something? (Besides my Barb)

2. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Well it's been pretty laggy for my friends and I today...

3. jhcarle

jhcarle IncGamers Member

The thing you're missing is the following:

Barbs stink in 1.10!

My level 90 Barbarian is good for 3 things in 1.10. They are the following and in this order too:

1. Battle Command
    2. Battle Orders
    3. Shout

That's all he can do. I don't even have a fighting weapon on him I don't think. He, along with most barbs I figure, are the biggest leechers in 1.10 but you have to have them in the party to do Hell safely so people don't mind them.

4. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

bah... barbs are still useful... especially in parties... (and not just for bo)

yeah, things were really laggy for me lately as well. Other possibility is there was a ob knight hanging around the corner that you couldn't see... they can still see you! i've definitely hit things before that took out half my life, and 1/2 a second LATER i see the curse on my head. Not cause i'm blind, cause the curse animation is SLOW. Then just a tiny bit of lag (so that you don't see you hit him, but you've already connected) would do it...

5. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

My guess is that there was an Obsidian Mage in the neighborhood and you got IM just a you took a whack at the witch.

IM is a real killer for melee!

Prez

6. CoWa-Avatar

CoWa-Avatar IncGamers Member

1500 life isnt that much for a nightmare, it goes quick.. you never did say how much resistances you had. If you had bad resistance, they might of pwned you because of that

7. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

Ah khi bummer. Never use concentrate in level 2 or 3, just use beserk. Once fascing minions switch to concentrate. This is a hard and fast rule. And I liked my barb it could do much more than leach.

8. madman68

madman68 IncGamers Member

Sorry to hear that Khi. I remember when I joined your game my barb was taking a hit from those dolls. I too have lost a lvl75 barb at the same place a few months ago. My second barb uses zerk or WW.

Good luck on the new build. I have some barb items if you need any.

|madman

9. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

I'm happy with my barb too. He just turned 82 and the only issue I seem to face zerking is when one of those mana stealing guys come around.

If you died with bo on and only had 1500 life you might want to rethink how much you put into life. I know I have 19 levels on you, but my life is near 3500 with bo. And I'm not real proud of that... I just haven't found better life charms yet.

10. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

I agree with Prez. I have been hit with IM and the curse animation didn't show up until it was almost too late. It cam come from a long distance away. You don't even have see the knights to be hit with it.

TM

11. fgh24

fgh24 IncGamers Member

I agree with all the others u where probably lagging and some ok's around the corner hit u with IM (god what a nasty curse). With such a small amount of life and not being able to see the animation on your head and times u see deeds awfully quick, srry for the death but rebuild and gl on your next barb :p.

12. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

I fear it was iron maiden also.

Moral: Never use a skill other than warcries and zerk until the minions are out.

13. Khianna

Khianna IncGamers Member

Guess most of that makes sense. My first barb so I'm just getting used to the skills. Make sure to Berserk next time. I had been pumping my dex to get block up instead of vit at the time. Oh well. He was getting to be enjoyable and now he's gone... But there's always next time. Thanks for the input all.

14. det

det IncGamers Member

Well, I never thought I would see deeds with 2000+ life in NM, but I did, from LE/FE Bartuc. And now in hell, with 3500 life, in an 8 ppl game, it seems death is always only one step away. The game has really taken a turn towards being very very hard.

Yes, My lv 69 Barb sucks in NM..but when you see a Full IK Barb or a Thrower with dual Gimmershreds..thy suddenly are killers again, just very item dependent.

I am currenty partying with friends thru the game and it is now really a combination of having good gear and the right characters with the right skills....it has become that hard

Sorry for your loss. Dust yourself down and have a go at it again. I just know after my current melee experiences it will be ranged chars from now on again

15. Silkweed

Silkweed IncGamers Member

My barb is level 72 and is an old school WW build (WW, sword, shout, bo), and whenever I play in the WSK or Throne, I count the different types of random monsters before I deem it safe to use conc and WW. So if I were in the throne, I might see dolls and say to myself "That's one," Witches, "That's two," I'd say, and then I'd wait and see what three is. If three isn't Oblivian Knights, then it's safe to WW and conc, because there can only be three kinds of monster on a level.

OK's can only spawn on WSK3 and in the throne room as well. Unless I know for a fact that there aren't any OK's, I won't use anything that would be an IM one hit kill.

16. tpiercymtv

tpiercymtv IncGamers Member

Best counter...use zerk!! Zerk is ownage...in ws2-3, and ya never have to worry bout IM.

17. cyradis2003

cyradis2003 IncGamers Member

*sighs*

No love for the druids .... there we are with our brave little oakies doubling your life (and they even tank sometimes .... razzafrazza silly oakies) and who gets all the "OMG look at how high my life is ty, ty barb!!! ty!!!!" Just once I am gonna unsummon my oakie ..... ok prolly not, that would be rude. :innocent:

18. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

no offense, but i'll take the barb for 2xlife PLUS 2x mana, +1 skill, +to defense over a druid's 2x life any day.

actually, that's not that accurate... if possible, i'll take both:D

19. Bearcub

Bearcub IncGamers Member

I love ww druids. But they are the biggest leachers in those two worldstone levels and in act four. They do not have the cool skills of a barb. They make good blockers, on the other hand built right they go right through gloams.

20. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Hmm.. I dont think barbs are THAT weak...

I was playing a private softcore party with my dad and sister (they dont play hc, it would get ugly fast if one of them died with a hc character, so we play softcore) I always play as though it is hardcore, because thats all i play!

I made a conc barb, using only gear either this current party of three found, OR items the previous party of three found (we dont play with others, just these three chars, through the game) And i made it all the way to the last 15 minutes of gameplay with them (hell throne of destruction) before i died! And yes, it was to iron maiden :( My gear was decent, I was using
    runemaster
    ATOD w/ +max
    1400 def rare archon plate, 2 perf rubies
    verdungos hearty
    rare heavy gloves, 25ish Cold and fire resist, 15 dex, 5 str
    leech rings
    some other stuff, nothin too impressive ;)

As you can see, my gear is decent, but it is definitly not up to par with what some people use, and my barb did just fine, he was not the fastest killer in the world, but he did ok! It probably helped having fanatacism and might and decrepify, but hey, its a 3 man party, imsure barbs in public games get just as many bonuses, and the might was from a merc. The point is, they can still stay alive very well, and though their killing speed is a little down, its still doable!

-Matt