Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Double Swords Double the WW Damage?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by zzzxxxjjj, Jun 9, 2005.

1. zzzxxxjjj

zzzxxxjjj IncGamers Member

Double Swords Double the WW Damage?

I was curious if having 2 swords, one in each hand, is beneficial. If i have 2 swords do i get double the hits? and then in turn double the 1 handed damage? or how does this work exactly? i currently use a 2 handed sword, but i am not satisfied with it. i want to hit more and was curious if having 2 swords would increase the rate of hits without nerfing my damage. also i have plenty of increased attack speed. does attack rating make a difference or level of dexterity? plz help i am very newb ><

2. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

You can use 2 two-handed swords on a barb but the damage is around 50% from the full dmg for each hand.
    If the two-handed sword has 100-200 dmg, using it along with other one makes the damage around 50-100.
    If you use only one sword, I'd recommend adding a shield too (concentrator build?).
    I personally prefer a frenzy barb (two weapons) because of the insane attackspeed bonus + boosted run&walk.

3. yxx

yxx IncGamers Member

I also have a question: if both swords (weapon) have + Increase Attack Speed say one 20 one 30, so my attack speed increaded 50?

4. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

I think they are applied to each weapon separetely.
    I could be wrong though.

5. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I seem to remember readin in the barb forum that using two weapons gives you 2 extra attack checks per whirl or something like that. Not double, but a nice bonus.

6. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Hopefully this will help you some:

If you wield a 2-handed sword in one hand, you use the one-hand damage listed on the sword. (Only barbarian's can see the one-hand damage and only barbarians can weild 2-handed swords in one hand.)

At certain times during your whirlwind, your weapon attempts to hit an enemy. If you are dual wielding, then your primary weapon will get all the same attempts it would get if it was your only weapon. Your secondary weapon also attacks a few times (how many varies based on the length of your whirl and other stuff, but in general the second weapon hits slightly less often than the first)

For whirlwind, the only IAS that matters is IAS on that specific weapon. Any IAS from other gear(including your other weapon) or skills will be ignored.

There are also ww breakpoints. The number of hit attempts during ww is based on the speed of the weapon. The number of attempts does not go up linearly, it instead hits breakpoints. Look at xpumafangx's post here to see a list of all weapons that hit the last ww breakpoint.

(Note also that the ww breakpoints are different for different weapons:
    ----1 handed weapons all hit the last break point for whirlwind at -34.
    ----2 handed swords being used as a 2 handed weapon hit the last breakpoint at -51. But when used as a 1 handed they hit at the same as a 1 handed weapon.
    ----All 2 handed weapons other then swords hit at -59.)

If you want an in depth look at whirlwind, check this out.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

OK, and which weapon is your first one and which is the second ?

8. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

the first equipped weapon is your primary, and the second equipped weapon is your secondary. If both weapons are equipped at the same time (by weapon switching), then the weapon that's on the left side of your inventory screen. Whichever weapon that is the primary one, will always show up in your barb's right hand.