Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Double standard?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Broncobiv2, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

Double standard?

I've been thinking about this lately, and what better place than the OTF to get a good discussion on it?

Let's say Person A rejects dating Person B based on the fact that A isn't physically attracted to B. If this becomes public knowledge, people will probably look down upon Person A and consider them shallow and coneited. I mean, they didn't even consider Person B's personality in the matter.

Now, let's say Person A rejects Person B solely because B's personality isn't very good. This also becomes public knowledge. I doubt people would look down upon Person A at all. I mean, Person B doesn't have a good personality, so why would you want to date them?

Why is it generally socially acceptable to reject someone based exclusively on their personality, but not exclusively on their looks? Who made personality the more important factor in dating? Shouldn't they be equally important? Is this a bad double standard (or are all double standards considered bad?)?

2. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

I don't know why it is considered bad. Personally, I couldn't date someone whom I wasn't physically attracted too, as I think that base level of attraction is extremely important in a meaningful relationship.

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I think it's becoming less and less looked down upon. It seems especially prevalent in the young to profess that looks should not be a reason to disqualify someone for a date whereas people who are a little less naive and have a bit more experience realize it's large value in dating. About 5-10 years ago it was all the rage to pretend to not be in it for looks but rather personality. I think people are finally growing up and getting a bit more realistic.

I sure think it's acceptable to not date someone on the basis of looks and wouldn't think less of a person who did so.

4. Broncobiv2

Maybe it's getting better these days, but it's not totally there. I'm sure I'd make a lot more people angry at me if I said, "I don't wanna date her...she's ugly," than if I said, "I don't wanna date her...she's a *deleted*."

Broncobiv2
    I won't bother commenting about your tasteless post. I will remind you though that bypassing the word filter is not acceptable.

Freet

5. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Just say that you aren't attracted to her in that way. Rather then calling her ugly.

6. Broncobiv2

Calling someone ugly is a harsh way to put it. But so is calling someone a *deleted* (and they'd be more accepting of that statement). You're right though, I could lessen the offensability of the statement by putting it less bluntly. Then again, people would still by more mad at me for saying that I'm not attracted to her looks than if I said I'm not attracted to her personality.

7. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Yeah, calling someone ugly is trying to be mean, not honest. Don't be a smacktard about it and use some tact and people won't have a bad reaction.