Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Double majors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Sep 2, 2006.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Double majors

I am now thinking of doing a double major. I was so afraid of chem..but we touched on it yesterday in biology. I am no longer afraid of it. I am thinking in the back of my mind to get a second major in chem. The prof was asking questions during the chem part and I answered them. This may be fun. I think it may be something that I could really get into.

How much does that add to the time in school? As it stands now..I can be out in 3 years.

I took a risk in going back to school. I was so afraid to take many of the classes that I have to. I think my fears are not valid.

Yup..I think i need to double major. Forensic science/chem/CJ/paralegal minor..see you all on foresnic files.

2. Rabbitz

Rabbitz IncGamers Member

Im doing, Commercial Economics + Management/Rights + Marketing . Done in four years if I dont screw up :(

3. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

I'm doing a Dual Honors degree (assuming its the same thing).

And I finish in 3 years total. I do around 125% of the classes if I was to get single honors, but I get a degree in two subjects.

In the UK at least you basically do 2 half degrees for single subjects, and get 2 full ones...:thumbsup:

4. The Future now

The Future now Banned

I wouldn't judge the ease of chem based on a segment in a freshmen bio class. It is a rigorous discipline, but one that if you stay on top of it you'll probably do ok in.

It could still be worth it though, especially if some of the "pre-reqs" overlap, for a chem degree you'll probably need 3 semesters of calc, + a class on differential equations. If you're already doing that for your forensics, it might not add too much trouble to the degree.

5. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Maybe you should wait until you take a chem class before making decisions. I don't know how important chem is to your subject though.

6. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

I couldn't agree more. Chem is a major that's not to be taken lightly, especially from a small intro in a biology class (at least if you're going to a worthwhile school). But, as Future said, if you are really interested, keep up with both course loads, and are dedicated to both majors then dual majoring in chem and forensics is definitely something that could help open some more doors later on down the line.

If you aren't adding too many more hours and can still graduate within your timeframe (assuming no drops or fails) then go for it. Sometimes dual majors only requires an additional 10-12 hours, which is totally worthwhile.

I suggest talking to some people who are Chem majors and see what they think about it. Also talk to your academic advisor to get some more information and suggestions on how to approach it (setting up course loads, managing time, etc.). One thing is a certainty though, adding a Chem major will definitely add a lot more time to your load since there will be a lot of labs. I know a lot of chemistry classes at my college require 3 or 4 hour labs, and then working on lab reports (which takes a few hours).

7. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I wound up in a double major entirely accidentally. I got to third year and discovered that if I took two extra maths classes (I didn't have anything else to do anyway) I'd get a double major with my Astrophysics.

8. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

I was going to double major, and then I realized how much extra work it would be, so I decided to double minor instead. And now I'm just doing one of each.

9. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

I'm currently looking at double majoring in Nuclear and Mechanical engineering... But I'm a freshman and classes haven't even started yet... so who knows. As I understand it though, I'd need 9 semesters and I'll probably want to do a masters in Nuclear afterwards.

10. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

I was supposed to be done 3 semesters ago, and I even decided to cut down my major/minor schedule. I just hate school though, especially since I'm going to school for what I'm currently employed in, so it really just seems like a wasted of my time and money.

11. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Wow good luck. Nuke engineering was my innitial college major. It was a nightmare.

12. htotheh

htotheh IncGamers Member

I think chemistry is better than bio since bio is just pure memorization and chemistry at least has some calculation and a little less to memorize. I'm going to do 4 years biochemistry (haha! beat that) 4 years med schoo and 4 years of training!

13. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

I actually prefer biology and biochem much more to chemistry. I just get that stuff so much more and even though a lot of it is memorization at first once you develop a sense of how things work it isn't that much memorizing. I guess it's just like any other science. Once you understand how things work, lots of things start to make sense. So I enjoyed biology, biochem, and now my systems physiology class (basically cell bio) much more than my engineering and math based courses (biotransport and biomech...ugh).

14. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

You should be able to do it without adding much, if any, time at all.

Yeah, I'm sure you'll do great, but the fear is normal :) It's tough to go back. Takes a lot of courage.

Better you than me, I think. I would be terrible at that stuff :jig:

15. zodiac66

I have to take:
    Gen chem 1 & 2
    Ochem 1 & 2
    Quantitative Analysis
    Chemical Toxicology

I just figured since I am taking that many I should just get another major.

16. RevenantsKnight

RevenantsKnight IncGamers Member

Er...apologies for being somewhat of a wet blanket, but I do not think that "I'm taking so many classes, so I should just pick up another major" is necessarily the best way to approach this matter, especially since you've already stated that you will settle for nothing less than a 4.0 GPA.

I'm not sure exactly what you would have to take for a Chemistry major, but I would assume that it will include at least some lab courses, which are vastly different from lectures in terms of what you have to do to get a 4.0, and in some cases, the difference between a 4.0 and something else is almost out of your control (apologies if you already knew all this.) Lab courses, or at least the ones I've experienced, are not kind to perfectionists.

I do not mean to be disrespectful in any way, but you may want to see how this semester goes in terms of your grade goals and if those goals change any before entertaining this idea.

17. zodiac66

See, at my school, we have to choose a path. There are 4:
    Biology
    Chem
    Anthropology
    General

Anthropology would be fun..but without a master's it is not feasible and then it is mostly teaching. Lab work would be intersting and that is where the chem comes in.

I don't want to work in the field. I don't want to gather evidence. Forensic Science is most certainly not what you see on TV. As Boosh said earlier...TV shows and movies always bring an influx of students into the field. Frankly, anyone can gather evidence. It is kind of grunt work with certain protocols in place. One should have a strong legal background for that, but not the science background I have to take.

Who knows..when I get into my internship, I may study ballistics (physics degree there), finger printing or DNA. I have to make my decision soon. I only have core classes to take. All of my general classes transferred.

I do know that a piece of paper with a general degree will get me no farther than where I am now.

Oh, and no offence taken. I just have to do quite a bit of soul searching to figure out what path I choose.

18. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Is that this semester, this year or all up?

EDIT: Oh, I get it. That's over the course of your degree and you only need one more subject for a major.

Why do you need to decide now? Can't you just grab the last subject in your final year or do it over summer?

19. The Future now

The Future now Banned

Well, you're taking up to the 2nd year of a chem undergrad program, and there's quite a bit after that (more than 1/2 since after the 2nd year the student is expected to focus almost entirely on chemistry), so it will almost certainly require you to take significantly more classes.

20. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

Wait until you take Organic Chemistry. If you don't think its too bad and you don't mind being in school for an extra 2 years or so, then go for it.