Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

doom for sorc?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by saint_of_killers, Feb 22, 2004.

1. saint_of_killers

saint_of_killers Diablo: IncGamers Member

doom for sorc?

jw if anyone has used or thought of using a doom runeword (on normal axe i'd suppose) for a cold/light (or meteorb) build. it would be good for a few reasons:
    1. +2 isn't too shabby
    2. the minus enemy cold rst would help so you could do more cold dmg and concentrate more on the synergies in other trees.
    3. the holy freeze sure as heck would be useful...and cool!

sure those are only 3 useful mods and would be extremely expensive/wasteful to put the runes in a normal axe :rolleyes: but i think it'd be of some help and more importantly would change the gameplay a little (i'm still fantasizing over a sorc w/ holy freeze...sweet)

i know there are better weapons for a sorc and i know a big counter to this idea would be to just get a holy freeze merc (or merc w/ doom)...but it's just an idea. not like sorcs need a uber casting weapon to survive in hell.

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

I think it would be kinda cool (and original) and you could always still use an elite wep with not too high reqs, and it would still have some resell value/use for melee chars.

3. Lantto

Lantto IncGamers Member

Not having any FCR on your weapon is quite a big loss. No res either which most good alternatives has.

4. saint_of_killers

yeah, after lookin at the elite items, a warspike or zerker axe would be the only ones that would make sense since their req str would go down to just above 100 (111 for zerker for sure. too bad not all maces could have "doom" or scourge would be #1 choice).
    ~110 str i guess isn't too hard to obtain if you use enigma or even chains (which i prefer).
    anyway, if anyone feels obliged to give it a test, tell me how it works out (me not have doom zerker =\ ...or even high enough lvl sorc, heh)

5. saint_of_killers

true, as i said, i know doom only has 3 useful mods, but FCR can be gained w/ lidless and/or arachnid and/or vipermagi and/or magefists and/or crafted caster items. besides, orb and meteor are timered skills anyway. FCR only affects the frames, not delay (if i remember correctly). plus, why need extremely fast cast rate if every monster on the screen is 2x slower?

as for rsts: mara's, chains/Um'd vipermagi, Um'd helm, PD or Um'd lidless/sanctuary. not sure on exact math, but after 3 anya Q's, that should put you at least at +30 rst all in hell if you have the worst aforementioned gear...+75 if you have the best, and that excludes 5 equipment slots.

anyway, it's just an (interestingly fun) idea. sorcs are way overpowered and if they can afford a doom, i'm sure they can afford other godly gear to make up for rsts and FCR.

6. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Some thoughts;

- You'd only need FCR the most for teleporting to any spot you'd want to be. Having a Wizardspike on switch would get you most of the FCR you'd need. For the actual killing you can rely on your timered spells, which aren't affected by any FCR.

- For the actual killing you could use your Cold Attack (Orb) first to further chill the attackers. The almost 40% slowing effect together with the 20-25%??? of your cold spell would already be quite effective. Throw in a chilling armour to further chill the attackers and you have an army of snails attacking you at a speed of 1 yard per day (terrifying thought, no?).

- Have a merc with Reapers Toll handy, and the extra 50% speed reduction and the monsters should already realise their upcoming doom and lie down dead on their own accord.

- And of course the 50+% resistance reduction is quite something for a stingy build like Meteorb. This extra damage is very hard to counter with any Orb or sorc weapon.

7. saint_of_killers

i was thinkin that too, how it would affect teleing (that a word?), but then i realized if you tele with holy freeze on that would make up for the "slow" cast rate perhaps? cuz then the monsters would be slower than usual, so you wouldn't have to worry about dying if you tele into a mob (at least so you'd think...i'm sure there would be some way to die, there always is.) ehh...right?

8. SimplyGarces

SimplyGarces IncGamers Member

MY current sorc pvp build is Blizzard/Orb using doom as one of my main weapons shes still not ready for full fledge pvp and tested her only a few times and she faired very well but once shes complete and ready for pvp ill post all my findings on doom vs d fathoms vs hoto.

9. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Not entirely true. Holy Freeze takes some time to affect monsters. I don't know the exact delay, but the effect is not instant. The monsters you teleport into still have time for 1 quick blow, and that's usually all that is needed unless you have good block.

10. WvX_leader

WvX_leader Banned

I wont give my reasons or I would have to kill you [JOKE]

Its a nice cold sorc weapon

11. saint_of_killers

that would be great. though i don't plan on makin my FO/CL sorc into a PvP sorc, i would like to see which weapon would prove to be best in a duel as well as some PvM. of course we would have to know what your other gear is and who you dueled, etc as i'm sure you knew already (since you said "all" your findings!!!! :clap: ) i was always planning on using death's fathom, but now i'll wait and see if doom is good/fun enough to change my attrib pts.

12. saint_of_killers

ehh...any word yet garces on how doom compares to hoto and fathom? :scratch: