Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

don't understand resists help please

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by fatdudeonthestreet, May 22, 2008.

1. fatdudeonthestreet

fatdudeonthestreet IncGamers Member

don't understand resists help please

ok so i made a paladin. maxed resist fire and lightning and salvation. i'm fairly new at the game so don't flame me. i don't understand how on the forums somepeople say they have stacked 95res, or this other time someone said he had 300 res vs lightning. In normal, my resistances are 75, how do you get 95...300?

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: don't understand resists help please

Well, you see, 300 resists generally means that, while the max resists are 75..95, they stack MORE than that, to negate, for example, resistance penalty in Hell (-100 to all) or the Conviction aura (varied -x). For example, Uber Mephisto in Hell has level 20 Conviction aura. It's -125%. Then there is Hell Penalty, which is -100%. And then there is the need to max resists, which is another -75%. 100+125+75 = 300 resists all required in Uber Tristram in Hell.

As for how to get more than 75 DISPLAYED resists, there are a few ways.

One is to use a paladin aura: Resist lightning, cold or fire. They are seldom used, however. Still, they add +MAX resists, meaning you raise your resistance "cap".

Second is some special items. For example, the normal item Darkglow provides +5% to each max resist, and Guardian Angel exceptional armor provides +15% to each max resist. Thundergod's Vigor exceptional belt adds +10% max lightning resist.

Several expensive runes. They are Gul, Vex, Ohm and Lo, providing +5% max to poison, fire, cold and lightning respectively (only in armor, helmets and shields). These runes are expensive, however, being considered High Runes (except Gul).

Note that ABSOLUTE max cap for resists is 95%. You can't have higher than that.

3. Aien

Aien IncGamers Member

That explains it. When people say they've stacked their resists to 300 or whatever, it doesn't actually show up as 300 (or give any extra bonuses), it's just there for a rainy day like in the examples ProfessionalBerg gave.

And welcome. Feel free to ask whatever you want, that's what the newcomer board is for. The community here is pretty nice, you don't have to worry about being flamed... long as you use proper English and all that jazz. :wink3:

4. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Well, we are quite notorious for stealing pants and wallets :wink2: