Does this computer exist?

Gibbzilla

Diabloii.Net Member
Does this computer exist?

I've recently decided that I'm going to begin PC gaming, but I currently don't have the cash to do so. I was wondering if there is such thing as a decent gaming PC for under $500. I don't mean that I'll be installing dozens of games on it, but the computer that I use now has gotten so slow that I can't even play *crowbar swings*. Any specific model recommended would be appreciated.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
if you know how to build a pc, you can make a high end gaming machine for around $500
pick out parts, assemble and install windows and drivers

check www.pricewatch.com for parts

That really depends on your definition of high-end. On a real high end pc the pair of graphics cards will cost more than $500. To do it for under $500, it depends what you have already? Would you reuse the case, monitor, hard drive (what size?) cd-rom drive(s)? What about the operating system, do you have a copy of that? A full install of XP is around $200 itself.

FirsTimer

Diabloii.Net Member
Like MC indicated a truly "high-end" machine, even if you built it yourself, would run around $1500. You can easily build a decent machine that can handle WoW/Oblivion type games for around $500. It would also depend on how much recycling you'll be doing (using the tower, CD-player, etc.) I like Fry's Electronics. Just because they're local and usually have some great deals.

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
I bought a computer this summer that I'd call middle of the road, but it can handle all the games I play at the highest settings.

Spent under $600.00 after the video card, which is an Nvidia GeForce 7600 series, and I didn't build the computer myself.

If you want a really high end computer, though, you'll spend 2-3 times as much, however.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, it all depends on what you want to play. I mean, games more than three or four years old will probably all run on pretty much any computer that's still actually being sold these days, no matter how cheap. As for more recent things, you could still be okay.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
sorry, should have said good instead of high end

if you reuse some of your existing parts itll allow you to spend more on a better video card and processor

cynicalcat1

Diabloii.Net Member
i bought my new machine, a powerspec, from microcenter 3500 + athlon 200 gig hardrive 512 memory with the card was 548$.does what i want.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
yes you "can" probably play those new games

as for playing them on high end graphical settings, not likely

i recently picked up an amd athlon dual core 3800, 430 watt power supply (new video cards seem to need some serious power), msi socket am2 motherboard, 2 gig ddr2 ram and a 256 mb msi geforce card

it was a wholesale price (friend technically owns a computer business so he can buy parts from some stores for wholesale prices and i buy through him) but canadian dollars at ~$750 tax included

i kept the same burners and hard drives i had before

even with this new hardware i probably can't run games like fear at high end settings without a crappy framerate

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member
Depends on what games you want to run. You're probably not going to get a good performance out of the latest graphics intensive games, but you can play plenty of good older games like BG2, Planescape, Starcraft, Diablo 2, WC3, Morrowind, NWN, Counterstrike, Halo, etc.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I saw the word "Compaq" and immediately decided:

IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE DO NOT BUY THIS COMPUTER.

But as far as the general specs go, it looks like a pretty decent machine. Although I don't know how fast that CPU is, does anyone know what the equivalent Intel chip would be?

I'm sure there's an equal amount of people that love/hate Compaq. At home there's a Compaq desktop that's been running nearly 24/7 since 2000. Thinks that have gone wrong with it: Windows ME, 2 harddisks replaced (original died, second needed to be RMA'd), video card died (original monitor took it out) and a CD burner replaced. All in all, not too bad for a computer that old.

I have a Compaq laptop that I'm happy with too, it's been running 24/7 for the past couple of months. I bought it almost a year and a half ago, and haven't had any problems with.

The reason I lean away from prebuilts is that most of the expensive parts are proprietary. I don't want to have to worry about the PS connector will fit on my new Mobo (if it even fits in the case), or if my PS dies having to buy one from Dell, etc. But they are a hell of a deal.

Gibbzilla

Diabloii.Net Member
Ugh, I may just bite the bullet and buy a more expensive computer. When you think ahead, it would cost less in the long run than needing to continuously upgrade this comp.