Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does the Might from an act 2 offensive merc make much diff?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Aminal, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Aminal

Aminal Diabloii.Net Member

Does the Might from an act 2 offensive merc make much diff?

I have a act 2 with might merc I used him to increase the damage done by my skellys but how much does it actually add?
    my skellys are lev 45
    when I swithed from a def merc I didn't see that much of a difference in the stats. or did I just miss it?

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

The LCS doesn't display it very well, but the Merc does make a huge difference in killing power.

3. Mitch Turnbuckle

Mitch Turnbuckle Diabloii.Net Member

I've used a Defiance Merc the entire time (lev. 60 mid, nightmare now), and I've still never noticed my skellies having a hard time killing anything (so far at least). Add Decrepify to this and you'll have some very tough to kill skeletons!

4. gibsonSG

gibsonSG Diabloii.Net Member

Oh my GOD it makes a huge difference. For a Necromancer using skeletons, I really can't think of a better mercenary than the A2 Might dude. Along with amplify damage, the extra damage that Might gives adds up quite quickly. Who cares how much it is - all that matters is that the things on your screen are dying much more quickly. Stronger skeletons = more corpses = more Corpse Explosion = faster killing = more drops (or quicker leveling, whichever you're out to do).

So yeah...go with the Might guy - he works wonders. Think of giving him an inisght and fortitude too; he can do some SICK damage with his own aura helping him (duh...) and the FORTITUDE as well. He'll be a force to be recokned with too (he might actually kill more than your skeletons too :cool: ).

5. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

I feel I should point out that Fanat, even a fairly low level one, will make an even bigger difference than Might. If you can get yourself a Beast, or even an A1 Merc with a Faith, that'll induce crazy killing speeds too. (+, the A1 Merc won't kill itself with IM).

6. bogie

bogie Diabloii.Net Member

An act 2 offensive merc is the best option, as rogues CAN kill, yet are not nearly as powerful as the melee guys are. As for the actual amount of dmg added, lemme see. Your skeles should be doing around 800 dmg per hit at that lvl, which means that youir skeles with might will be doing around 1200 dmg on avg. The way I understand how might and other auras are added is this, at lvl 45 skeles have 294% ed to their base dmg. If we round this number to 300%, it gets easier. 300% is quadruple dmg, so we take ** and divide by 4 to get 200 dmg. Thats your skeles base dmg. We then add 300% to a maxed might, 230%. Thats 530% ed. If we round down to 500%, we get 6x dmg. So 200x6=1200 dmg average (Note, i did round ALOT on these equations because im lazy, so they may be a little off).

O, and i would not recommend putting beast on an act 1 rogue, as skeles attack on a set amount of attacks per frames, so the +ias will not help them much, and the extra dmg is nothing compared with might. :shocked:

7. windwingwind

windwingwind Diabloii.Net Member

How do you put beast (melee weapon) on act 1 rogue, m8? :rolleyes:

What Lord Nyax means, and that's most power summoners do, is get a low req beast and hold it himself. You can still benefit from a might merc.

8. kaervek

kaervek Diabloii.Net Member

Beast gives lvl 9 fanatism
    Faith (bow runeword) gives lvl 12-15 fanatism.

Keep in mind that your not only giving up might but also potentially concentration. The thorns aura on a merc probably wouldnt be as good as a good Fort runeword that gives a huge increase to the mercs power, although it would be good if your going revives/mages rather than the mele skeletons for a change.

You may even want to make your pride in a normal polearm if your planning on running round in chaos sanc so that IM isnt an auto kill.

If your going defensive take the holy freeze merc. That plus decrep is a much better defense than well, defense. If its a boss throw clay golem at it too and you'll probably kill it before it finishes an attack.

You could go for all 3 auras, might, concentration and fanatism, but i dont know how much faster skeletons will attack with lvl 9 (or 12-15 if you hold the bow) fanatism. Generally you summon with one weapon set then switch to another. losing 1-2 skeletons due to lower skill levels doesnt matter much since they dont normally die anyway.

Are there IAS or similar tables for skeletons with fana? ima go search a bit.

9. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know of any tables, but this should be to your liking:

Necromancer Pet Calculator

It lets you input Auras and whatnot too.

As for the original poster, you can check how Might affects Skeleton damage with this calc; it does make a difference.

10. bogie

(Dope) i meant faith, which also gives fanat, sry for the confusion.

As for beast vs hoto......... according to the pet calculator i gain 15 dmg per skele for using beast.... and lose over 1000 hp per skele :shocked: . Considering im also giving up 30-40 resists , fcr for teleport, +3 to my other skills. mana, +dext, and more, all for 15 dmg??? I dont think so, I'll stick with hoto :cool: .

11. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

I am doing this with 20 hard points into both RS and SM, clvl 85, Hell, lvl 75 Might Merc, and +24 from all items besides the weapon, coming to a total of a level 44 RS and SM [16 Skeletons]. With HoTO, the total becomes a level 47 RS and a level 47 SM [17 Skeletons].

Well, if you summon with HoTO/AoKL, and then switch to Beast, your Skeletons will retain their extra 1000 HP, although one will die. But in turn, I'm seeing a 195 damage increase in damage output from each Skeleton. And the Skellies now attack 4 frames faster.

How come you only got a 15 damage difference? :shocked:

12. Kirah

Kirah Diabloii.Net Member

In addition to Beast / Faith Bow fanatacisms, add a heart of the wolverine to the mix (either by Wisp ring or Druid) and you'll really see your skellies speed up and go nuts! Very funny to watch!!

Good luck and Good Hunting! Owooo!!!
    Kirah

13. bogie

Ouch... I completely forgot about prebuffing. If you summon with beast, you skeles will have a much lower dmg than with hoto/aokl (loss of about 105 dmg), but by prebuffing you will still use the higher base dmg and get fanat. hmmmm, this changes my view slightly on beast, as by prebufing my dmg increas went up around 150-200 dmg. But.... considering i tele like mad and spam CE, ill stick with the resists and 40 fcr of hoto. Damn, imagine forgetting something so simple (smacking head).

14. Aminal

Aminal Diabloii.Net Member

WEll I have a Fort,Dream and an insight on my merc now. I use a 6 bo CTA Crystal sword 4 my prebuff. I found that the aura from the infinity helps both my skellys and my mages in a fight weakening them. My favorite auras are amplify damage, and decreptify. I like Maiden but don't bother with it if I'm using ( which is most of the time) a Iron Golum if I'm not using him I use a Clay Golum.
    Maybe I can get a question answered here. WHY do my Iron golums keep dissapearing? The are right by me they aren't showing any damage , not poisoned and they just dissapear. This gets so fustrating esp when you've made a Iron Golum from a great weapon or real great armor.