Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does SC2 story have you worried?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Zeek, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Does SC2 story have you worried?

Personally I'm not too impressed by the terran campaign in StarCraft 2. It seemed like a whole lot of nothing with just a few important battles. They took years to write that story? That's almost sad.

The gameplay was great and the variety was awesome. The story not so much.

2. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

Re: Does SC2 story have you worried?

We've also only seen 1/3 of the story so far. I think there was actually more revealed than you are taking it for. But I think the real deep storyline is going to come into the Heart of the Swarm, given the ending of Wings of Liberty.

And Diablo 3's storyline is going to be epic.

3. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Really? I mean I can't even piece it together in a way that makes any sense.

Major plot spoilers for Wings of Liberty below:
    Tychus makes a deal with someone to get out of prison. It seems to be either Mengsk or Velorian (sp?)

If Mengsk:
    Then Mengsk was somehow assuming that Tychus would be able to follow Raynor around and somehow end up with a chance to take out Kerrigan. Tychus somehow got hooked up with Mobius. Which gave Raynor the opportunity to take out Kerrigan. Leaving her helpless and giving Tychus a chance to kill her. Mengsk either knew about Mobius and went out of character by not taking matters in his own hands or he didn't know about Mobius and just let Tychus out with no plan what so ever. So, either way that would be dumb.

If Velorian:
    Then most of the story makes sense except for Tychus being in a suit that could kill him at any time an the fact that he was clearly working for Mengsk by the end.

Then we have Raynor and the crystal. He finds out through the crystal that Kerrigan is key to stopping the hybrid. She was created by the overmind to have free will as well as control over the zerg. So, she had a chance to oppose the will of the hybrid.

What does Raynor do? Wipe out her zerg side to get his gf back. wtf man?

I'm sure that there will be some way for it to all work out because the story isn't going to end in total destruction, but any rational person would think that turning Kerrigan human would pretty much end the overmind's plan.

So, we got a story with one poorly thought through plan to kill Kerrigan and one poorly thought through plan to save Kerrigan. That's it as far as I can tell.

What am I missing?

4. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

I have not yet finished the campaign. So far I enjoy the story, it is just that I feel that it was "diluted" in order to spread it over the three episodes. So, somehow, some missions become "side quests" without any progression of the main plot.

Some examples
    For example, the mission "Devil's playground" is interesting in itself, has fun mechanisms... but it is a just mission where you collect minerals for a guy, namely Tosh. Story wise, it is quite poor. The same things for the missions where you have to save the colony of humans that are attacked by the zergs.

SC1 or WC3 were much more interesting from this point of view, all the missions were part of the main plot and you did not have this feeling that they kept some of the story for the upcoming expansion. On the other hand, the stories in the expansions were "added" to the original story and were (to my taste) not as interesting as the original game story. Apparently Blizz has decided to use one big story over the three episodes for SC2. Perhaps the story will be more "coherent" than in the previous games.
    So at the moment, I am quite pleased with the story, the plots and so on... It is just that I feel there is not "enough" story revealed in this episode. I hope heart of swarm will come out soon. I will not play a lot the multiplayer part of SC2 and waiting 1 year or so to have the second third of the story is a bit boring.

5. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

I think yall are much too concerned about the story. Did doom blow because it didnt have a story? Or mario? Or diablo? Or any fighting game? No, in the end its all about the game play, the fun of the mechanics.

I remember, even in the "epic story" games ive played like ff7, bg2 and chrono trigger, ultimately the fun was in the cool combo moves and spells and gameplay challenges, not the story.

6. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I'm a bit worried about the story of SC2.

IT's TOO DAMN AWESOME!!!!

Ps. FFVI beats FFVII! HANDS DOWN!

7. The Butt

The Butt IncGamers Member

I hope you're not the Zeek from MTGDarkness. :V

Also the SC2 campaign looks fun as hell btw.

8. Fyourics

Fyourics IncGamers Member

Hey, remeber warcraft 3? Yeah? It started out slowly too but it had a great storyline after the expansion.

9. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

Win.
    [/off-topic]

10. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

I find the story pretty interesting actually, mostly considering Dr. Narud is obviously an important character from Sc1.

I simply wonder what the hell is Hearth of the Swarm is going to be about, I mean, the zerg did get roasted and are now without a formal leader again...

The prophecy says that the queen of blades should survive to save the universe... In a way she survived in this game, but she's no longer infested, does that affect the prophecy? will she get killed?

Did the Xel'Naga win or lose?

I actually like the story so far...

11. DWS

DWS IncGamers Member

For me it's not necessarily the basic plot that's bad in SC2. I'm not happy with a number of things from lack of depth (story, character development) and the seemingly chaotic retconning that happened.

I think the whole thing became overly simplified so that a 12 year old would love it.

The story of diablo 1 was pretty much put in place to provide context for the gameplay. But then it went on to provide the basis for a rich world that you kind of felt was only beginning to get told. It allowed for a larger, more rich world if you had an imagination.

Diablo 2 attempted to add more characters to a world that pretty much only had a few. I think this kind of followed the WC model in this way. The story here was also fairly simplistic -> wanderer became diablo who went to free his brothers now you must stop him.

I'm personally worried that the world / characters becomes super high fantasy/ larger than life a la warcraft. When I really think about the diablo world it's one that has a foundation built upon a fantasy world that feels real, gritty, dirty and sweaty.

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i actually think it is far easier to come up with a great story for a rpg game than a rts. i am not so much worried about the story in D3 based on SC2 but more so the story they gave us for D2. i want alot more than what we got there

13. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

I don't know when I compare WC3 with SC2 storywise they're not even in the same league. WC3 had a really well done story IMO. I actually didn't like the ending and Arthas turning evil, but it wasn't my story to write. They told a good story and the game flowed well with it. I really liked the frozen throne. I liked where the story went and thought it played well too.

I expected something along those lines for SC2 and it just pales in comparison.

Still the gameplay is great and I'm working my way through brutal on my 3rd play through now. I just skip all the story parts except for the few that actually matter.

14. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Strangely enough, I find Sc2's story a wee bit nicer than Wc3, but I may be the one with bad taste here...

15. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I didn't think I'd finish the campaign for years as my computer is 7 years old and I don't see a much needed replacement in the near future. But, while not quite "playable", it was able to run on my aging rig enough for me to go through the motions.

The one thing I'm missing or was at least hoping for was more on the UED. It's as if they didn't exist, there's next to nothing mentioned about all that. Granted, a lot of the story really needs someone who has had the SC/Broodwar Campaign experience.

As the OP mentioned, why would one kill off the Zerg forces - I wouldn't be surprised if many survived that artifact blast - after all, even with the xel-naga temple going boom in broodwars, Zerg were still all over the place. But, now that she's human again, her desires are no longer anyone's but her own, and she'll probably retain tremendous psionic power - the remaining Zerg will respond to her, but now she isn't hell bent on eliminating life, domination, that sorta thing.

I wonder how the protoss campaign will do, as it seems like it will be really interesting, or really boring. If anything, it will probably just provide the final resolution to whatever goes wrong in the Zerg section.

16. popenfresh

popenfresh IncGamers Member

There’s a very important distinction you have to make when judging a story. One is the actual plot the other is storytelling. Hitchcock has taught us that with good storytelling you can make the audience believe anything you want. Sure, the story in D1 and D2 wasn’t that great when you put it in a nutshell but the storytelling was extremely compelling. D1 was one of the 1st games that told its story through gossip with different NPCs. D2 continued with this but Blizz made an other briliant stroke of storytelling. The D2 story is actually being told by Marius, congratz to Blizz for having the balls to have their sequel story be told by a raving old madman in an insane asylum. The scene didn’t even make sense until the epilogue. Diablo had a brilliant way of presenting its story to the player, something SC2 couldn’t do IMO. Not only did I find SC2’s story to be utterly cheesy but the way the characters and story were presented was something you’d expect in a manga for 14 year olds. I hope the D3 team has the guts to present us with a creative and mindblowing new way of storytelling the way D1 and 2 did.

17. Flux

Flux Administrator

You realize this is the "Diablo 3 Story and Lore" forum, right?

You know what else is annoying? All those people talking about Wizards in the Wizard forum. Bastards!

18. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

just reflects different opinions. imo the story is a fairly important part but i do agree gameplay is the most important. something like gameplay > story > music > graphics

19. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Would like to say that when it comes to gaming I see 3 kinds of relationships between gaming and story:

· BioWare like: I'd say these games are a story with a game. They are MEANT TO have huge uber interesting/variable stories, so, although gameplay is important too, the story are particularly important on these games.

Story > Gameplay

· Blizzard like: In these ones, gameplay is more important than story, but story stil has its role in defining how the game goes. One can easily skip through all the cutscenes without losing gameplay experience, but the story is interesting nonetheless.

Story <= Gameplay

· Popcap like: These games sometimes have stories, but are fairly irrelevant, gameplay is the one most important thing, and then its wrapped with some random funny story just to make sense.

Gameplay > Story

---

So, as interesting as I hope the D3 story will be, I'm sure that we'll still be pretty much able of just skip through all cutscenes without feeling utterly lost, that's how blizz games work...

And before people start saying "but D1 and D2 had amazing story-content!", first I'd like to say that I kindly disagree, and second that this game is not being developed by Blizz north so it will be different like it or not...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  20. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Oh I agree that the stories weren't spectacular. However, 11 years have passed. Games have gotten better in a lot of ways. Stories are one of them IMO. I'd like to see D3 have a much better story. Really pulling us into the world and giving us a build up to a big fight. I want to be nervous but excited heading into the fight with big D. A good story helps set the mood for me.

At the end of SC2 I was like "where's my options? I want to make a choice!". Mostly because I didn't like the choice being made by our protagonist. That was annoying to me. An end game letdown is a big no no in my book. I really hope D3 doesn't make the same mistake.