Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does putting more than 1 point in Phoenix Strike increase CIB's freeze duration?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Mordenkainen, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen IncGamers Member

Does putting more than 1 point in Phoenix Strike increase CIB's freeze duration?

CIB = Chaos Ice Bolt

In other words, if I'm only (well, mainly) going to use PS for its third charge's awesome crowd control power, should I max it put a single point in it?

2. Zero-unit

Zero-unit IncGamers Member

The freeze duration does not increase, but if you have + freeze items that increases the duration. And if you're only using it for crowd control then 1 point does the job however its always nice to do a little extra damage (If your PvM.).

[email protected]~

3. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

I've heard here that the freeze duration is hidden and dependant on slevel Phoenix Strike...

4. BloodAndRoses

BloodAndRoses IncGamers Member

The freeze duration inherent in the skill is not very long (either two or four seconds). The same thing applies with the Freezing Arrow skill, which only has a two-second duration. (I guess that makes Phoenix Strike the four-second duration one.)

You can still boost its length pretty easily, however. Sources of cold damage from your equipment are added onto the length and then put through the difficulty level penalties (1/2 for Nightmare, 1/4 for Hell). A Ravenfrost has four seconds, as does a Vampire Gaze (I think), each giving one second in Hell. Cold damage charms are another source of added legnth, but each modifier is only one second (a "Small Charm of the Icicle" and a "Snowy Small Charm" have the same length, even if the second one is a ridiculously high level mod). The best charms would be dual cold damage modifier charms, but those are rare. Or, useful charms (skills, damage, life) with cold damage would be nice too, and since cold damage can be both prefix and suffix you have every possibility for the other affix.

5. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

PS's third charge gives 4 seconds freeze time at level 1, and goes up .4 seconds for each level. This is then penalized by the difficulty. IIRC, this is 1/4 in Hell.

Unlike the Amazon FzA, items with cold duration do not transfer that effect through Chaos Ice Bolts. (I found this out only recently.) So the only way to increase freeze time is through pumping PS.

6. BloodAndRoses

BloodAndRoses IncGamers Member

Aw, that sucks.