Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does or doesn't a sorc need need max block?: help with sorc plz de

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Rpgdragon, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Rpgdragon

Rpgdragon IncGamers Member

Does or doesn't a sorc need need max block?: help with sorc plz

I'm thinking of making a blizzard sorc for meph and pindle runs. I was wondering what my stats should be and if i should max block.

What is better: greater vitality or max block

Also could someone set up a basic skill distribution for me thx.

2. WarHymn

WarHymn IncGamers Member

Go for Meph only

Use moat trick = no need for block...

So just dish in alot of pts in vit

Then for skills : Max : BLizz, CM, Cblast, Cbolt and Gspike in order

3. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger IncGamers Member

i have a meteor/orb sorc with max block using ss. She can easily tank meph and she has a nice amt of life, 800 so. I would have at least 900 if i didnt screw my stat pt distribution. So, if u plan correctly u can have max black & nice amt of vit.

4. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Max block is invaluable for a sorc, since she is quite fragile and has no real options to leech life from monsters. Only a +life when killing Demons on some weapon or the like, but it would only help in 1/3 of the cases.

But there are other things to consider. You have to look at your gear and your mana needs. When you go for high life - high block you HAVE to skip points from either strenght or energy. When you need more mana this means you have to live with either lower life or lower block (or lower strenght but with most gear really low strenght is not an option)

And also this, extreme low life is not an option anymore in 1.10. Mana shield is severely hampered, damage reduction is capped at 50% and most monsters also pack quite some elemental damage. Even SS + Shako + String won't do you much good when you have low life and not a realy good way to absorb or lower the damage done to you with a successful hit.

So, considering all this I would go for high life - high block and take the occasional need to drink mana potions for granted.

5. warding

warding Banned

The biggest boost to life comes from Shako, and a single shako is worth more than 50 vit points. For more vit points, keep energy low (especially if using all timered spells), but max the dex requirements :/

6. Jedi

Jedi IncGamers Member

i faced the similar problem for my sorc in Hardcore.

after some time i think i found my own solution to the problem.
    here is what i experienced:

normaly i would go for high block because attributes spend in vita just give low amount of life. after reaching a good value around 1000 life u gain a better effect of not getting hit anymore compared to the low increase from vita points. dont understand me wrong.. the vita->life gain is always the same but with 1000 life the chance to die from a single hit is acceptable.
    [THIS ALSO COUNTS FOR VARIOUS OTHER BUILDS LIKE JAVA,NECRO ETC] 75% block compared to lets say 120 life (assumed value) is the decision then and its obvious block is better.

the question that is often unanswered in the room about ranged classes and melee hits.... well, a sorc teleports -> needs block, any char will face a monstergroup some day that is extra fast and will get u into melee range -> needs block.

in order to teleport out of dangerous situations there is another important fact to know when high block is considered for sorc. its the shield and the faster block rate (and FHR). i compared 2 shields for my sorcs:
    1.whitstans
    2.stormshield

with whitstan set shield the best thing to do for sorc is going high block. the faster block rate still gives u the chance to teleport on after block animation ended fast.

for the stormshield (which is better for different reasons- if people want to have more mf% gear equiped etc.) its a bit more tricky. with max block i get max blockanimations which sometimes can bring me in danger because the animatiosn lasts too long before i can teleport on and i get another hit.-> lock

my current setup is:
    stormshield ->around 60% block still i dont want to miss an acceptable value.
    whitstan -> max block

maybe this helped u to decide

regards
    jedi

7. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Also check out the stickied guides at the top of the forum - they've got a discussion of the benefits of block vs. vita.

8. ComradeMRA

ComradeMRA IncGamers Member

Follow up question

I'm planning on starting a Sorceress but I can't decide if Energy Shield is worth while or not. I read in a guide that Elemental damage is applied to ES before resistances, so even if you have high resistances, you're mana can be quickly depleted with ES. Does blocking occur before damage is redistributed to mana by ES? Does blocking even work against non-physical attacks? This seems like a pretty fundumental question for Sorceresses. Either put the stat points in Dex for the shield, or energy for ES. If I go for ES, should I ignore Dex completely and keep my options open for a cool two-handed weapon? Thanks for the help!

9. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Block comes before ES, but only works against some elemental attacks - fire archers' arrows, Mephi's cold ball and Quill Rats' cold pins for instance. It does not work against Lightning (from souls) or area affecting attacks like Meteor.

My advise would be to ignore ES unless you're willing to max Telekinesis (for most builds this wouldn't make sense). But max block is nice whether you get ES or not.