Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does one have to be committed to play hc

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Ironcarrot, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Ironcarrot

Ironcarrot IncGamers Member

Does one have to be committed to play hc

I see masses of posts, I play softcore and pkers there annoy me immensely, they must be utterly hated in hc, but thats beside the point.

I come to this forum to see the best advice on general gaming since the character specific guides are miles long and always claim to not need uber gear but i get to level 80 and I'm doing squat damage (apart from my hammerdin, who rules.) Dammit rambling again.

1. Is hc frustrating as all bloody hell.
    2. Is the game full of whiners and hangers on and cheap snatchers to a greater extent than SC.
    3. Is the gameplay slightly dull as you hit something, run away, hit something run away.

2. AnubisXy

AnubisXy IncGamers Member

Just try it, most people never go back to SC.

3. Sip

Sip Banned

What a nice way of putting it. I am committed to playing hc.

Nah....I think I am just addicted to playing hc.

4. Bongo Fury

Bongo Fury IncGamers Member

1. If it was, do you really think we'd be playing it. I know we're crazy, but we're not stupid.

2. Yes, there are a lot of leeches, and hangers on and snatchers. How it compares to SC, I have no idea. I don't play SC.

3. It's as dull/exciting as you make it. Some people rush and leech their characters all the way to high levels, others do Hell Ancient Kaa runs for the fun of it. We're a pretty diverse group.

5. WarriorPoet

WarriorPoet IncGamers Member

Actually, the entire time I was committed I didn't have access to a computer...so I had to un-comitted to play! :teeth:

Seriously though, I play hc because *anyone* can play sc. There's just no challenge in being immortal. Is it frustrating? Your freaking-A right it's frustrating! But it's that desire to make it through Hell without dying...the quest for Guardian status...that keeps me going game after game.

Hc is the only way to die! So jump in and see what you're missing...

Poet

6. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

1) most certainly... it is frustrating as all bloody hell- dying sucks, and when you die, you get pissed off. but when you die, you realize... doh, i was stupid, and then you get better. and then you want to go make your character again better. and then you die. rinse and repeat. But that's why its fun and rewarding too.

2) well, yes there are, and leechers are more dangerous to you then in sc (a leecher can definitely get you killed whether on purpose or not), but i doubt there are as many as in sc

3) not really. there are some builds that have to do hit and run strategies, but sometimes that is a lot of fun. there are also some builds (especially as your item base gets better) that can go anywhere, do anything

and yes, do try hc, i would never go back, just cause there is no risk in sc, so who cares if you're any good or not, you can always just get your body and try again....

7. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

Soft Core? Never again. I thinks its all about challenge. I don't know anyone who hits and runs. You won't kill stuff that way and you'll never get very far. Yes, you do back off to hit a potion or gear check, but you do that in soft core too. I mean just beacause death in soft core is nothing more then inconvenient, I'm sure youn don't try to get killed?

Is it frustrating? you betcha. I just lost a 79 Necromancer with the best gear and had a Tal Rasha armor in my stash I had not muled. Frustrating, but you go on and start over. Now, if my 89 Sorceress dies I will cry!

In the end all I can say is try it. Don't sweat the PKers, snatchers, grabbers, handger-ons or anyone or anthing else ... it's all about the challenge. How much beeter would feel knowing you killed the Diablo Clone in hard core without dieing 40 times and having to get your body back?

Masa

8. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

The answers you've received are pretty consistant, and nail it on the head. But one word: I highly recommend reading the various HC FAQs out there... you'll save yourself some frustration. A few things you'll want to remember:

1. Vitality, max block, maxed resists.
    2. PK tactics... you don't need to use them, but you need to know them.
    3. Go slow. Slower.
    4. Vitality, max block, maxed resists.

There's nothing more fun than playing this game in hardcore, untwinked. You'll love it!

9. Dangerous Old Man

Dangerous Old Man IncGamers Member

Without offering advice on how to survive hardcore, I would suggest you evaluate this question. What kind of person are you?

Vague question, sure - but the answer will let you know whether you should give "our" world of hardcore a spin.

Are you easily frustrated or disappointed? Do you give up when things don't go your way? Do you quit when bad things happen? Are you mature enough to learn from your mistakes and gutsy enough to rebuild - but better this time - smarter?

The first thing to accept is that YOU WILL DIE. You will lose low level characters and high level characters and everything in between. You will lose gear and charms. You will curse when it happens. You will bang your head on your keyboard. You will contemplate going back to the immortal world of softcore that is NOT "our" world.

There are folks around that will try to kill you for sport (not commenting on the right/wrong of that, just saying it will happen.) There are people that will try to grab items that rightfully belong to you. There are also MANY people that will help you out, set you up with starter gear, offer advice, and loot your corpse and return your items when you die. Hardcore folks are much nicer in my experiences.

Gvie it a whirl, see what you're made of. Commit for a month though. Otherwise, you'll go back to SC with your first decent loss.

-Dangerous Old Man

10. TopheavyHookjaw

TopheavyHookjaw IncGamers Member

Naw, you don't have to be committed.

I haven't been committed...yet. I manage to keep one step ahead of the authorities! :flip:

11. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Dont erase your SC guys, keep them. Then after you finally succeed go back and play your SC guys and look at them and you will see how much a better player you are.

Dont be a begger, dont be a big trader, be aperson that uses his mind and what he has to succed.

I garuntee that with "crappy" runes, and gear, the average throw aways of most people that play this game you can beat this game using.

Ghetto Rules!!!

Uber is boring!!!

Imortality isnt a challenge!!!

12. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

The only thing I liked about softcore is the PvP aspect. Believe it or not, but the larger pool of gamers does have a tendancy to convert to better duels...not to mention not having to sit in a PvP game for an hour before someone else will step out. Serious, it took me like 5 hours to find someone willing and able to kill a 96 PvM character.

Of course to balance that fact out, HC provides for much more (forced sometimes) replayability on the PvM aspect so it takes longer to get to the point where PvP is all that's fun. And even if the PvP doesn't have a talent pool of quite the same size, it's more fun because you've got more on the line.

**Disclaimer**
    Not trying to say that HC duelers are anything less than SC, just saying that with the amount of people playing PvP on SC you will have more people with varying amounts of talent...or something like that...

13. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

Hmmm well I just started not too long ago, so I can give you a better comparison between SC and HC since I played SC not too long ago....

I've found HC is MUCH more exciting and fun. For example, my druid (level 16 at the time, not too high I know but it's annoying to be killed, especially when I had most of my usable equipment on him, as I've said I'm new to HC) just got charged by a PK pally, and survived with 1 hp (due to some feature of druid shapeshifting). My heart was honestly pounding when I saw my hp drop and I hit esc and exit.

My first 2 sorceresses both died at level 60 something, and since then I've learned how deadly archer packs with the right (or wrong, depending how you look at it) enchantments can be.... so now I'm alot more careful. My level 75 sorc's health has never dropped below half so far.

So yeah, I find HC alot more fun than SC. I still go on SC occasionally to help out friends and such, but other than that, I'm a HC player now.

Basically HC is fun, and it's very frustrating, but when my first character died I wasn't thinking I was going back to SC like you might guess, but it was more of "I'm pissed off that I lost my character, I'm going to remake her just to spite this game that killed me" sort of idea....

So I think you'd like it, except.... if you're the type that died alot in SC maybe HC wouldn't be for you. I started HC mostly when I realized compared to most people on SC I died VERY rarely (most my characters have died at most once or twice, not counting duels)

14. slick4hire

slick4hire IncGamers Member

That was the most profound thing I learned about HC...

When people speak of the thrill of HC, it basically comes to this: Your godly equipped MF sorc gets surrounded by a pack of champion dolls while teleporting through the Durance level 2... SC=Die and Esc to get body. HC=Juv, curse, juv, teleport, remove stomach from throat, juv again, wipe sweat from forehead or be quick with the Esc button... Or else lose all of the godly items it took you months to attain (after you lost the last items when your last char died).

Also, unless you are a real risk taker (like me), a good connection such as DSL or Cable is recommended (I am stuck in the boonies, and therefore have dial-up).

Anyway, if you decide to cross over, as stated earlier, you will most likely not return (or at least not for long) to SC.

When you decide to start, let me know. *slick4hire and *slick4hire2 on USEast, usually on after 8 PM EST. I will start a new char with you and we can quest a bit. Also if you choose to go untwinked, i have some starter gear you can run with.

15. Ironcarrot

Ironcarrot IncGamers Member

Thanks everyone I have chosen to play an hour or so with a summoner nec daily. Hes at lev 4 and has 4 skellies experience tells me this is the safest build and untwinked i can clear nightmare theoretically at least.

ie after I die 8 times. Im thinking about soloing it most of the way and gaining maximum levels in every area possible and going very slowly in order to avoid lamos etc.

Europe, hc and going very, very slowly.

16. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

good luck, and keep us up to date on how you're doing :D