Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does MF help get a high rune?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by BarnBee7, Mar 17, 2004.

1. BarnBee7

BarnBee7 IncGamers Member

Does MF help get a high rune?

I was just wondering if MF% help runes to drop and if they increase the chances of a high rune dropping?

Thanks

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

No, mf does not help in rune drops.

3. Duke Lukem

Duke Lukem IncGamers Member

on a related question, if mf doesnt help with rune drops, why would people run the countess? the time it takes to find the tower and go down to the 5th lvl doesnt seem worth it considering the slim chances of getting a good rune. and since mf doesnt help.... Anyway, I can't seem to get anything higher than a nef on hell countess.

4. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

People run the countess because there's something special about her drops that make it much more likely for her to drop runes. I'm not really knowledgable about the technical details but I believe it's something like all of her drops have like 25% to be a rune. It's usually a lower level rune (in my experience) but she still has a much better chance of dropping some of the mid level runes than other normal monsters. Hell countess can drop up to Lo (i believe) but the special chance only extends to mal or ist. Still there are some nice runes within that range. Good Luck!

5. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Just FYI, supposedly Haephesto (sp) at the Hell Forge can also drop high level runes - I'm not talking about the Forge quest, but the unique monster himself. I have yet to see him do so, though he did drop a rune or two.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

IMO the best way to get runes is killing large amounts of monsters, like hell cows or those from act 3 on, instead of selecting a single monster just for the runes. That way you also find other useful stuff.

On ladder, I made 2000 pindle runs so far (I keep a record about the number of Pindle runs) and some days ago a Lo rune dropped. I found another Lo rune in the flayer jungle and a Sur rune while clearing Baal's throne room for the minions. In 1.09 I found Lo at Meph, Ist in the flayer jungle and another Ist at Pindle.

An exception is the Hellforge quest. In hell mode, a Hel-Gul rune is guaranteed to drop. Some people rush characters just for the nightmare and hell HF quest reward.

7. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy IncGamers Member

re:

What about the second question? Do they increase the chances of a higher rune dropping if one does drop?

8. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

magic find has no bearing on rune quality.

9. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

The Hell countess was better in 1.09, only in that the levels were smaller, and I think you did get a better rune distribution for the mid-level runes. But each time I run her in 1.10, I usually get something in the shael/dol area.

On a somewhat related note, I was doing a Hell Andariel run in the catacombs last night, opened a chest and out popped a Vex rune... I nearly shat myself :)

10. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

LOL i wouldn't want to think what u would have done if it was a ZOD :lol:

11. Richard-gm39

Richard-gm39 IncGamers Member

Tell me if i'm wrong but i don't think Zod can drop in that area...

12. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

Where a heck did u get dropping a zod in that area. I merely comment on his reaction if he got a zod??? :scratch:

13. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

I know MF is not meant to affect the rune drops but ever since i tripled my MF i been picking up mid/high level runes, left, right and centre. Probably down to luck i suppose but extra MF not dun me any harm

More MF the merrier :winner:

14. EdvinMedvind

EdvinMedvind IncGamers Member

Does anyone know whether the numbers of players in the game influence the number and quality of rune drops?

15. Fercil

Fercil IncGamers Member

It doesn't affect quality but more players mean more drops of everything, including runes.