Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does Meteorb sorc need a 75% block?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Demppa, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Demppa

Demppa Diabloii.Net Member

Does Meteorb sorc need a 75% block?

I'm thinking an option to not think the meteorb sorc's block chance at all. If I went for full blocking I'd see stormshield as a best option. But I must have 195 points in dex to get max block. I could save 170 points to vitality giving me 340 life. And I would use the spirit runeword to get 2 to all skills and other fun things.
    I haven't played sorcs a lot so I'm quite a new guy to sorceresses' shields so please comment: Stormshield with 75% block, Spirit with 75% block, Spirit with no block (base dex) or something else?

2. Superhal

Superhal Diabloii.Net Member

if you've never had a char with max block, you should certainly try it. the easiest way is whistans or dual eld mosers, @120 if i'm not mistaken. one caveat: your playstyle should change significantly. cast/run is not a good idea. just stand there and take it. also, most people suggest turning off run.

also, you should try stormshield vs all other shields at 200 dex. the 35% pdr and resists are huge. i myself would never get max block unless i knew stormshield would be available, and plan accordingly (156 str, 200 dex.)

3. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Upped Visceratuant ! Huge defense, +1 skills and 72% Block.
    Whistans is 87%. At level 80 thats about 29 less dex, or 58 life. For dual tree the +1 skill and more def is way worth it IMO.

4. guttersnipe

guttersnipe Diabloii.Net Member

I have made quite a few lvl 85+ sorcs and have tried maxing dex and leaving it alone. I even have a sorc with 75% ctb with a monarch spirit! She has only 90 vit. Not that good.

I have a tri-sorc (Orb, Nova, FireBall) with 75%ctb using stormshield. She has 240 dex including items at lvl 98. I like this sorc; she can kill anything but it takes awhile. The nice think is watching her stand toe to toe with baal and not flinch.

My best sorc so far is only lvl 85. She has about 35% ctb with CoH and a 35% Monarch spirit. She is an Orb-FireBall sorc with 16+ skills from items (no charms). The Cta she wears gives her lvl 18 Battle Orders, so even with no natural pts in energy, she has over 1300 Mana. The reason this sorc doesn't need a high ctb is that she kills so fast. Also she has a good cold aura merc that rarely dies.

The bottom line is that with the right equipment, you don't need that high a chance to block. Without the right equip or a good party to rely on, you're toast without a high chance to block.

--xynlord

5. sasja

sasja Diabloii.Net Member

Either SS with max block or Spirit with base dex. I prefer SS myself, but other veteran sorc players swear by the higher vita you get from a base dex build. Basically, it depends on your playstyle - are you in front a lot? Or do you hang back a lot? Of course, it's a lot easier hanging back if you have a good party (but I don't like it even there ;)).

6. Demppa

So if I don't have a (good) party, it's better to go with 75%block SS? I like to play alone in private games. In addition, I have played a lot of paladins so my playstyle might require the ss way.
    Sniff..I must give up the +2 to skills :)

7. MagicMoron

MagicMoron Diabloii.Net Member

If you have nice gear, I suggest no block.
    My meteorb sorc on HCL East is 96 with no dex. Solos 8 player hell baals np. Just tele with skill. :)

However, I don't use Eshield, any cold armors, and I have 50% Dr lol.

8. RayKslayer

RayKslayer Banned

could you mention your gear Moron?

Thanks.

RayK.

9. EnerSense

EnerSense Diabloii.Net Member

Well, it all depends on your playstyle. If you go for max block, that will take away points for vita or anything else you want to use them for. If you're worried about low vitality for max block, don't forget you can find life charms and equipment. I have an archmage that I'm developing in Act 4 hell difficulty right now. Her vita is 77 but because of charms and equipment her health is 917 points. I chose max block because I didn't want my character to teleport every time a monster or boss got too close. Not too long ago, my sorc had to go toe to toe with hell Duriel. My merc was knocked out within a few seconds of fighting Duriel. :( I was shocked to know that she was barely touched and Duriel went down because of fireballs and meteor. BTW, my sorc's using Stormshield and full Tal's.

10. Demppa

Oh, maybe I should also tell which gear I'm planning to use.
    shako
    occy
    Tal's amu
    Tal's armor when I get it
    Tal's belt
    (Stormshield? spirit?)
    war travs as soon as I get them (I'm not a super rich guy again)
    frostburns or chancies maybe (don't know yet)

11. EnerSense

EnerSense Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds to me like you're leaning towards Stormshield with max block. Don't forget, besides 35% DR, the high defense of SS goes up as you level up. You can also socket the SS with an Eld rune which would add 7% chance of blocking to the shield. This will lower the max block requirement and free points up for vita. Just make sure that you find items which will boost life since the strength requirement is steep. Good luck!

12. MagicMoron

MagicMoron Diabloii.Net Member

Well, before when i was more poor, I used Tal set, rare rings/sojs, travs and magefists.
    Then as i got richer and invested. Now my setup is:
    Shako with Res jewel and stats
    15/15 Sup Dusk COH
    27 Fathom (clean)
    SS w/ str/res/-req jewel
    Crusader Magefists (for fun)
    Tgods/Arach
    2x Soj
    Eth Treks
    20x 20 Vita Scs, some with mods
    1x 19 with mana
    Lc + Gc w/ Life/mana
    Anni
    Switch: CTA + Spirit monarch
    My Fcr isn't the greatest (I think it's 70) but it works for me.