Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does LR break poison immunity?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Nachtdaemmerung, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Nachtdaemmerung

Nachtdaemmerung IncGamers Member

Does LR break poison immunity?

Simple question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I'm building a poison necro, and I want to know if I'll need alternate damage, or if I can get by with a high level lower resist and my poison skills.

2. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

I'm really glad you asked this. The other night i've noticed something really weird about poison immune mosters. It's common knowledge that, no, LR doesn't break poison immunities. People have figured it's because pois immunes have 100% Poison length reduction. Well...here's the deal. I noticed in along the river of flame, the "maggots" there could not be stripped of Poison Immunity, but their CHILDREN COULD. I was like...wtf????

and I could kill them with my pnova. I suppose that either there is a bug in the children, or most poison immunes have such a high inherit poison resistance that LR cannot break it down to under 100% (as -resist effecting curses only work at 1/5 the efficiency on immunes)

3. usamahanas

usamahanas IncGamers Member

Lower resist does break poison immunities, but if the monster have a VERY HIGH poison resist his immunity want be broken, and you can notice that when you are moving from nm to hell with skelletons warior or archer. This is realy sadly for a venomancer but not forget that in the game there's some equipment which will take the poison resistant of those monster down, so with lr you'll break the immunity:)

4. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Seems like some monsters that are poison immune, it can go away from them (only for the length of LR though) and then just recast.

I put this to a test in act 5 hell doing an ancients run.

Though I had Death's Web, and level 10 LR. But, they do lose the immunity.

HoS

5. Scrub0

Scrub0 Banned

Some of them can. But they take FOREVER to kill even after they're not immune.

6. Phyrexial

Phyrexial IncGamers Member

Certain monsters have over 100% resists to a certain element thus LR sometimes isn't enough to drop them below 100%. Even if it does, that still leaves them at 95% sometimes.

To answer the example with the Blood Maggots and Blood Maggot Young:
    Blood Maggot: 125% psn resists.
    Blood Maggot Young: 100% psn resists.

As stated by d2data.net. Hope that helps.

7. venumb

venumb IncGamers Member

Any monster with 110% resist can lose immunity to lower resist, when lower resist is > 50%. Not many monsters have more then 110% poison resist.

You can still have good skeletons while maxing the poison skills. Trangs firewall is also another way to deal with single boss poison immunes. Works quite well with lower resist actually. Poison immunes are nearly as rare as physical immunes, and with lower resist you can actually remove their immunity around 90% of the time.

As for gear with lower enemy poison resist, it only works after the immunity is removed. It dosn't help remove immunity in any way. Removing immunity can only be done with a curse or aura. After immunity is removed, the full effect of your lower resist gear comes into play.

So if you cast a 51% lower resist curse on a poison immune monster with 110% poison resist, it will fall to 99% p.resist. Now if you have on -enemy poison resist gear (say deaths web -50% and trangs set -25%), the monster will now have only 24% poison resist to your spells. This is where rainbow facets gain value. Socket a few of those in your gear and there won't be many things with a possitive resist to your main attack. You will actually have less average monster resistance to your poison nova, then a hammerdin has against his hammers. Its a myth that magic is completely unresisted in pvm :).

I have -90% poison resist on gear and around 50-60% lower resist. My poison nova is lvl 39. Deaths web cost me stormshield+ohm+ a 3 skill eldritch. Aside from that my gear was easy to get. I play hardcore ladder so p&b skill charms are considered one of the low end skill charms. Cheap to get.

So speaking from experience with a top of the line poison necro, I would go as far as to say that my poison necro can clear full Hell worldstone and baal faster then a good hammerdin. I always find myself leading the path :)

8. Nachtdaemmerung

Nachtdaemmerung IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think I'll end up getting a few points in revives (takes fewer points to be effective than maxed RS/SM) with a might merc (so the lack of a tonne of points in SM will be less a factor). Also, I do have 4 pieces of trang oul's lying around, so that firewall idea is really good...

By the way, though, what is this Death's Web I hear talk of? I took a gander through the unique list at diabloii.net, but I couldn't find it.

9. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

For items, I go to the Arreat Summit: http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/uniques.shtml

Death's Web Unique Unearthed Wand

-40-50% To Enemy Poison Resistance (varies)
    +7-12 To Mana After Each Kill (varies)
    +7-12 Life After Each Kill (varies)
    +2 To All Skills
    +1-2 To Poison And Bone Skills (Necromancer Only) (varies)

10. venumb

venumb IncGamers Member

Good choice. I thought about revives, but havn't decided if i want to spend the (4?) extra points. I guess i could add that to the skeleton build as well. Extra safety :). 1 point + skill should be good enough.

Just remember. Deaths web is an elite special class item, so its actual drop rate is one of the rarest drops in the game. Try to find someone that has no clue what its worth, and get it for a bargin. Its almost essential to have one to make this build dominate.