Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does Lower Resist work on Immunes?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by skraper, Jun 19, 2005.

1. skraper

skraper IncGamers Member

Does Lower Resist work on Immunes?

Will cast Lower Resist on an immune monster make it no longer immune, like conviction does?

2. Dancolen

Dancolen IncGamers Member

if it lowers the resists enough, yes.

Lets say a monster has 145 poison resistance.
    Its Poison immune.

You cast -60 lower resist on it.

Its now 85 poison resistance, no longer immune, but HIGHLY resistant to poison.

Lets say a monster has 170 poison resistance.
    110, still immune.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You seem to have forgotten that LR works at 1/5th of its power when breaking an immunity. So the –60 in the example would only be –12 when dealing with an immunity. In both cases the monster would remain immune.

4. Dancolen

Dancolen IncGamers Member

didnt know that...
    /hide

5. skraper

skraper IncGamers Member

What about if i use Infinity runeword on merc? I just heard that is doesnt lower poison resistance. Is this true?

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

That is correct, because Conviction does not lower poison resist.

7. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

And what is nice is that conviction and lower resist stack. My friend and I did some experimenting and I lowered his resists with conviction then lowered them even further with lower resist. So versus monsters once you break an immunity you can also break its resistance even further by using both. My mage summoner uses this tactic.

8. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

or you could make an IG out of an infinity runeword for even more auras! :D

9. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

But when a monster was previously immune the 1/5th penalty will still count for both.

10. skraper

skraper IncGamers Member

Thanks a lot for the info guys!

More questions:
    If i use an act 5 merc w/ grief can the - poison resistance mod help break immunities? For instance say my lower reist curse is -55 normal and i had a grief with -20 resist, would that stack to -75 poison resist on normal monster and be divided by 5 for -15 resist on poison immune monsters?

Also if that does stack will adding posion facets to the mercs build also stack with it. I would think so but i wanted to double check.

My main goal is to the act 4 guys in hell baal runs to no longer be immune. Their resistance to posion is 120 meaning in order to do *any* damage i would need to have a combined total of -100 poison resist, if it is even possible.

11. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Nope. Only two things break immunities and those are conviction and LR. The cool thing about other sources of -resist is that they work in full rather than at the 1/5th cost after the immune is broken.

Another important thing to understand about conviction is that it lowers maximum resists rather than resists outright. So with an infinity polearm nonimmune resists will never be higher than 15%, but that infinity has no effect on resists lower than 15%.

The great thing about conviction in PvP is that stacking extra resists has no effect on it whereas if somebody has 300% worth resistance items for an element your -resist items, skills, and LR would have to bring it down by more than 225% to get it to decrease from 75%.

Also, conviction doesn't effect poison damage. Only lightning, fire, and cold.

12. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

No. Only LR and Conviction are used to break immunities. Other sources of -Enemy resist don't count.

It is impossible. You would need to find a way to take away 21% of their resists. That would mean having an LR with -105% Enemy resists, since Conviction doesn't lower poison resistance. Even a level 80 LR doesn't reach -105%.

13. Diablo_master333

Diablo_master333 IncGamers Member

what if i have a 2/2 55 faceted) dweb and the monster has 145 psn resist,,,do i take 145-55-LR%?

14. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

As has been said over and over again: the ONLY things that break immunities are

Lower Resist (fire/cold/poison/electricity)
    Conviction (fire/cold/electricity)
    Decrepify (physical)
    Amplify Damage (physical)

-%resist in gear DOES NOT BREAK IMMUNITIES.
    Cold Mastery DOES NOT BREAK IMMUNITIES

15. Diablo_master333

Diablo_master333 IncGamers Member

aorry dont be so offensive, only asking.....so what would that affect when fighting a monster or person?

16. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

:rolleyes: it affects the target's resists normally, as long as its not immune

17. Myrakh-2

If the monster is not immune, the -%resist from gear (or Cold Mastery) works. If the monster is immune the stuff doesn't do anything.

The aforementioned immunity-breaking skills are applied before the -%resist from gear. If the monster is immune they work at 1/5th their normal value (i.e. a 50% Lower Resist applied to a poison immune will lower poison resistance by 10%). If the monster is not immune after that, then -%resist kicks in. Otherwise, bad luck.

This makes -%resist very important even when dealing with immunes: the 50% Lower Resist will leave the monster at 90% resistance in the best case, but the -%resist gear can take it a long way further...

18. Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey IncGamers Member

How many points in LR would you recommend then, say you have pretty decent gear?

19. Myrakh-2

I would do a bit of research first.

Lower Resist drops off steeply, so I generally put 1 point into it and that's it. Check Arreat Summit for the numbers --- they very much encourage the "leave it at one point and let +skills raise it a bit".

*HOWEVER*, if I were to make a poison necro, things would a bit different: 1% difference can mean the difference between breaking poison immunity or not breaking it. A 50% Lower Resist can break immunes with 109% resistance or less, a 55% Lower Resist can break up to 110%, a 60% LR an break 111% and so on. So it could be a good idea to check some monster data tables to see whether, for example, there are 111% immunes --- because if there are, taking LR up to 60% is a good thing to do, even if it means investing more hardpoints into LR.

(Note that I don't know the skill values, so the 50-60% range I'm using is just an example).

20. Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey IncGamers Member

Well, I did look into it and it seems 110 poison resistance is max (Hell - Poison Spinners, Feeders etc.).

Making a Poison Necro, looking at the stats of LR, I'd say 10 hard points are more than enough.

Resist All -% 31 37 41 44 47 49 51 52 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 61 61 62 62