Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does Light Radius still affect monsters in D2?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by eatenbyrobots, Jun 25, 2010.

1. eatenbyrobots

eatenbyrobots IncGamers Member

Does Light Radius still affect monsters in D2?

lol, I've been playing for years and never really got a clear answer on this one: like in D1, can I drop my light radius and sneak around drawing less attention than normal?

It makes or breaks a novelty Assassin build I was considering.

2. Albatross

Albatross IncGamers Member

Re: Does Light Radius still affect monsters in D2?

It doesn't effect monsters at all.

3. rachitar

rachitar IncGamers Member

Then what is the use of "-2 to Light Radius" that I find on some of the items ?

4. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

They're just there for the theme. "Darksight" Helm, etc.

5. athwen

athwen IncGamers Member

Just illuminates nearby stuff/creatures for positive light radius, and smaller visible areas for negative radiuses.

6. eatenbyrobots

eatenbyrobots IncGamers Member

Major sadface.

Maybe I can get a similar effect out of loading myself up with "Hit Blinds Target" and "%chance to cast Dim Vision" items and call it good. I just wanted to emulate the D1 "assassin" gear set, except with a real assassin, who would combine CoS with a low light radius to essentially be invisible to monsters and then use either a TS or furysin build to backstab/shiruken them all.

Only issue is the short duration of curses in hell, I figure. So it might not work anyway. Thanks for answering my question.

7. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

You can have a near 100% uptime on CoS so you could get to try your build anyway, may not be a passive effect like you were planning with the -light modifiers but it could still sort of fit your theme.

8. Gillsing

Gillsing IncGamers Member

Apparently the -defense% from Cloak of Shadows works on bosses, so unless they gain a lot of extra defense from Stone Skin, Blade Fury would actually be able to hit monsters reliably with a high enough level Cloak. Still, since the Cloak of Shadows might not be available everywhere/anytime, having Ignore Target Defense for the regular monsters seems like a good idea. I've been thinking about playing such an assassin, though I'm hesitant to play anything that doesn't have ready access to Amplify Damage. (I really hate immunities.)

9. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

I wish they would give the OKs (and variants) Dim Vision to replace IM.

Teleporting through WSK would be extremely fun with 0 vision. :)

10. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Haha.

I would have preferred if they have kept IM but let the OKs be affected by taunt, CoS, DV etc, would be a bit more of a challenge rather than just being able to steamroller through them like you can now.

11. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

While -% Enhanced Defence from Cloak of Shadows applies to Champion, Unique and Super Unique monsters (including the Possessed), it does not apply to boss monsters which, aside from Act bosses in all their incarnations, include the following:

• Blood Raven
    • Griswold
    • Radament
    • Summoner
    • Izual
    • Putrid Defilers
    • Nihlathak
    The Stone Skin Unique modifier doubles a Unique monster's defence before % ED is applied, so level >28 CS would still normally reduce the defence of Champion, Unique and Super Unique monsters by 95%: if a Unique monster had 2,000 base defence, the Stone Skin modifier would double this to 4,000, then -95% ED would reduce this to 200.

The exceptions would be monsters to which +% ED is applied: to the best of my knowledge, that's limited to Ancients buffed by Madawc's Shout (+120% ED for 60 seconds in Normal, +170% ED for 90 seconds in Nightmare and +210% ED for 130 seconds in Hell) and Baal's Minions whose blood lust has been triggered by the Overseer Whip skill (+50% ED, as well as +80 velocity and attack rate, and +100% Enhanced Damage for 10 seconds).

12. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

At half effectiveness right? I understand that itd doesn't work on them at all. If I'm right then having 200% -ED% is itd for everything but those act bosses you mentioned.

I thought -ED% was substracted from a monsters +ED%. So if a monster had 100ED% and you had -75ED% then the monster still has 25ED%.

13. onderduiker

-% Enhanced Defence applied by the skills Cloak of Shadows, Battle Cry and Conviction isn't reduced, but -% Target Defence from items is halved when applied to Super Unique and boss monsters.

-% ED is subtracted from +% ED, but if the Stone Skin Unique modifier doubles base defence by applying +100% ED, then it does so in the same way as a weapon's +% Enhanced Damage is applied to base weapon damage before off-weapon or external % Enhanced Damage (both positive and negative) is applied. Consequently, -100% ED applied by level 26 Battle Cry would have the same effect as Ignores Target Defence against every target which had no external +% ED applied, including Stone Skin Unique and Super Unique monsters.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the only external sources of +% ED which apply to monsters (at least of which I'm aware) are Madawc's Shout and Baal's Minion blood lust: if level 26 BC (-100% ED) were applied to a Baal's Minion whose blood lust had been triggered (+50% ED), then the net result would be -50% ED, which would only halve their defence.

14. Gillsing

Gillsing IncGamers Member

I guess it's back to the drawing board then. Fool's weapon, Visionary headgear, Angelic Wings & Rings. Looks like that would put a too big of a dent in the Crushing Blow department, so maybe I'll just settle for equipping a 6Eth Phaseblade or something like that.

Maxing Cloak of Shadows suddenly seems a lot less appealing, particularly considering the duration penalty that'd keep me from blinding new monsters for half a minute or so. But the -% ED from a maxed Cloak of Shadows would still allow me to use more Crushing Blow than otherwise, and if I run the game on P8 it'll probably take half a minute to kill a group of monsters and then sift through the 35k valuables they drop, portal to town to sell the loot and get back to killing. (Yes, I really am that slow.) Maybe I could use a wand with charges of Attract so I can drag in all the monsters in the vicinity, and blind them all in one go? But that seems a bit cumbersome, as I'd rather have claws with +skills on switch.

Or I could skip the potential 40% Crushing Blow from 'Black' in favour of the 7% Static Field from a 'Crescent Moon', but with the Ignore Target's Defense the maxed Cloak of Shadows would only be there for Super Uniques, and that sure seems like a waste of all those skill points. Not really sure what would be more effective though: 100% Crushing Blow or 60% Crushing Blow and 7% Static Field (plus the higher damage and 25% Open Wounds). Boss monsters unaffected by the -% ED from Cloak of Shadows would still require the 6Eth weapon, unless I resort to Dragon Talon, which seems like a decent option at this point.

15. onderduiker

The Assassin can't cast Cloak of Shadows again herself until its duration expires but her Shadow can, and no difficulty level penalties apply to the duration of Cloak of Shadows: it's the same in Hell as it is in Normal.

Wands or daggers can get maximum Level 6 Attract (97 Charges), which will only last 7.48 seconds in Hell. A Delirium rune word helm has Level 17 Attract (60 Charges), which would last for 17.4 seconds in Hell.

Ignores Target Defence only applies to normal monsters and minions: aside from Super Unique and boss monsters, it doesn't apply to Champion and Unique monsters.