Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does everyone have a right to be happy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rare, Sep 30, 2006.

1. rare

rare IncGamers Member

Does everyone have a right to be happy?

So, do we?

What if it interferes with someone else's happiness? Do you think life seems to set up an "order" in which people can be happy? The rich, the smart, the intelligent, the pretty?

Can people live without happiness? Why does it seem some people always get everything. It really isnt envy or anything, but just relative to what you consider good, and then someone just walks in and gets it.

Someone around you always gets those things you consider "good" or "fascinating" or "beautiful." It's not their fault; theyre happy now so what do they care. Its not your fault because you tried to go for that specific something (or someone)... is anyone/thing at fault for this?

It's not that life is supposed to be fair, but can anyone/thing be blamed for this? The chances of all this about people taking things from you happening consecutively are pretty low. But if it happens, would you feel as if somehow you dont have a right to be happy?

I really really did use to think that "Life is what you make of it."

Now, not so much.

2. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

You have the right to the pursuit of happiness.

Whether or not you achieve it is up to you. I might also add that happiness is often not "Having what you want", but rather "Wanting what you have".

3. rare

rare IncGamers Member

True, but dont you need to "have what you want" before you can even decide "wanting what you have?"

I mean, you have to have something first, right?

4. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

I'm sure there are plenty of people in third world countries who have crap for "stuff", and yet are happy, just as I am sure there are plenty of people in first-world countries who are swimming in money, and yet are unhappy.

The point is that you should be happy with what you've got. Hence, "wanting what you have".

5. rare

rare IncGamers Member

So, itd be like "settling with what you have," while being free to pursue happiness too?

Its not so much about money, or stuff, either. What about feelings, people, ideas? Those make humans happy too.

6. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

There are those that have all the money they could hope for and would gladly give it up for good health or peace of mind.

There are those that would would be willing to become Atlas and carry the weight of the world on their shoulders if in meant solving their monetary problems.

There are those who would freely give up money, health, family, and friends for the affections of a loved one.

It all depends on where you see yourself in this world and what you aspire for.

7. rare

rare IncGamers Member

What about those people/things that get in your way to achieving this. Is it ok to derail their life so you can have yours?

8. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

Well. It looks like there is a specific issue on your mind that you don't feel like revealing. I won't pry, but I'll just mention that the annoymity of the internet would be a good outlet for you. If you'd like to share, this bunch of people that call the OTF a home are willing to listen and, more often that not, can give you some decent advice.

As for your question. It really depends. I've been raised in a society that values responsibilities above rights. The clearest example I can give is that, lets say a woman gets pregnant from her boyfriend, but they're both 18 and just starting their lives. Their responsibility for taking care of thier mistake (by getting married and raising the child) would outweigh thier right to experience their 20s as others would, with no serious responsibilities and obligations. That is in the eyes of society, anyway.

However, there is the flipside of this coin. There is a point where you've done your part to the best of your ability and you simply need to practice your right to live in happiness. Without knowing your situation, I can tell you that there are some places where people draw the line. Some draw the line quiet early (ask dondrei), some draw it quiet late, or never do.

9. rare

rare IncGamers Member

I guess youre right, but it isnt just one specific event. Maybe this one was the one that did it though. Got me thinking, I mean.

What happened was just one thing, but I feel that the questions that I brought up, or that I keep bringing up will relate to the rest of my life. Well, everyone's, assuming you are all pursuing happiness and run into obstacles.

I dont think i need to get too specific, but Ill do it if I see that I am still questioning this in a few days...

Thanks a lot for your replies, and being awake at whatever timezone you are :D

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Thread ends here.

What, you want all of capitalism to collapse?

11. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

What if peoples unhappiness makes me happy.

12. rare

rare IncGamers Member

Yeah, exactly. Is it ok to pursue that? What if you accidentally do something as such (make someone unhappy on accident) Is it ok, do you have to feel bad?

13. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

You can feel bad about it, if that makes you happy.

14. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

You could always get a job at a hospital or doing therapy. I mean, if that's what you're into and all...

The pursuit of happiness often does conflict with the happiness of others, or can even downright depend on it. Fact of life, suck it up.

15. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

What if happiness for me is to slaughter my enemies, hear the lamentations of their women, and stealing their cattle?

16. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

You'd be a cheap copy of Conan.

17. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Some might argue that depending on the country you live in, you don't automatically have this right.

However, to answer the question in the context of a "free" society, yes, you have the right ot pursue it, but achieving it is up to each individual.

There is a lot of truth to what has been mentioned more than once in this thread - that happiness is more about a personal satisfaction with self than it is about what surrounds you or what you have.

18. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

Others might argue your rights aren't determined by the country you live in, but rather by the fact of your humanity.

19. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

What makes us think that we have a right to the pursuit of happiness? Just because a few guys wrote it in the Declaration of Independence?

We have the right to do what the law allows us to do. That is the nature of society, that is its inevitability.

20. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I dont think it works like that, you can do what ever you want. The law is there to punish you for it afterward.