Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does elemental damage stack with your arrows elemental area damage?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by smeer, Oct 13, 2006.

1. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

Does elemental damage stack with your arrows elemental area damage?

Now AFAIK elemental stack with you area effect damage. So if you've got cold charms, the cold damage is added to the arrow damage AND to the area effect of Freezing Arrow
    Now is the same thing true for fire charms and Immolation Arrow?
    And what about aura's or skills that add fire (Holy Fire or enchant) or cold damage (eg Holy Freeze)?

Now especially enchant is interesting if it's cast by a sorc that specialized in enchant and adds 3000 or more fire damage not only to the arrow and the monster hit by it, but if it is also added to the Explosive Damage ...hmmm that would be nice

2. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Enchant is transfered to the explotion, this is why a raven claw bow (unique bow with a lvl req of 15 that shoots explosive arrows) coupled with a chant sorc is a really fast way of leveling. Auras however do not transfer these effects.

3. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

I think Smeer means to ask if Holy Fire damage can be transferred through Explosive Arrows/Bolts. Explosive Arrow and Freezing Arrow are AoE attacks, and transfer any/all fire and cold damage through their attacks, respectively. There's nothing similar for physical, magical, lightning or poison, and only those attacks work for fire and cold.

Automatic Explosive Arrow on cross/bows isn't seen as overpowering, and only builds which specialize in incredibly high fire attacks would benefit from them abnormally. Obviously, this means a Holy Fire Paladin, a Firexplolation Amazon with dual Dragon, or Enchantress with dual Dragon, since it's not unbalanced without synergies. Freezing Arrow, though, is abusive, so it's only available to Amazons with the exception of charges on gloves and cross/bows in very limited fashion.

4. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

All fire damage will carry over on the fire splash damage. This only works for fire damage. Freezing arrow will not carry your cold damage. Enchant can be quite powerful.

5. Ax2Grind

Really?

You and Orphan have to get together on this, then. Check the other thread in here, I think.

6. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

But does the Freezing Arrow add fire damage in its radius? Let's say someone casts Enchant on the Zon. Will the Zon's FA's splash do the fire damage too?

7. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

I don't think Fire would carry to Freezing's splash.

If you've ever played an Immo-zon, you can see on the LCS when you equip/unequip items or charms with fire damage on them. The fire damage will add to both the arrow and splash damage.

As for Freezing arrow... not sure. If it was anything like Exploding/Immolation arrow, then cold damage (e.g. Duress or Ice bow's HF aura) SHOULD add to the splash damage.

8. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

I have been told that it does. Certainly for explosion arrow and freezing arrow. For immolation probably too, but not in the fire that burns.

That way, a frost maiden with ice, as they say, can milk cows nearly as fast as a LF-using zon.

9. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

I ran some tests just then (SP), Freezing Arrow will indeed carry your cold damage:

Test Conditions:
    Paladin with gloves of freezing arrow (level 2 freezing arrow, 20 charges), Normal Short bow.

Test 1 (holy freeze aura):
    With no skill points used, I put the gloves with level 2 freezing arrow on the paladin. I went to Act 5, NM, to eldritch's group and waited until they surrounded me. I fired off 3 shots of freezing arrow. Most of the monsters around me went down by a sliver of HP, but nothing impressive.

I then went back to town and maxed holy freeze, resist cold and salvation. I then went back to Eldritch and his pack with holy freeze on. Aura damage took off somewhere between 1/20 and 1/15 of their life (in other words, I would have had to sit around for around 15-20 pulses before the aura kills them). I waited for the pack to surround me again, and fired 3 more shots. 3 of Eldritch's minions shattered. By this stage, the aura only pulsed about 3-4 times, which was not sufficient to take the monsters down much life (they were all well over 3/4 life).

Test 2 (charms):
    Same deal above, I went to eldritch equipped only with the short bow and gloves. Same neglicable damage by freezing arrow.

Filled by inventory up with Hibernal small charms of winter (+15-29 cold damage). Went back out to Eldritch's pack and waited for them to surround me again. Took 5 freezing arrow shots to kill three of them that were standing in front of me.

In both cases, the holy freeze's damage and the cold damage of the small charms were transferred to the freezing arrow's 'explosion'.

10. Ax2Grind

Oh, Turtle! |P

11. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

I swear I saw info to the contrary at AB, but I can't seem to find it now. Thanks Orphan for correcting my mistake.