Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does Diablo III force party play/going slow?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by mouseman, Jun 29, 2008.

1. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

Does Diablo III force party play/going slow?

Alright, this is what I've had in my mind since hearing there are no potions.

In previous games, the answer to a tough situation was to run a away and chug a potion. You can't do that anymore. They want you to take risks and stay in the battle. You get health balls if you stay hang in there, but if you run, you've got nothing.

What does this mean? Yeah, it's going to be a lot more intense, exciting and everything. Instead of drinking potions, you have to turn the tide of the battle with cooperative play and using different skills. But there's a limit to all that, right?

If you're in a area where it isn't just enough, you can do nothing about it. Since staying in battle is the only way to survive, it makes skipping quests or acts very tough. Sure you can fast-track for a while, but going from duriel to travincal types of situations aren't valid anymore.

This, too, sounds great to me: enforced party play, we really get to play the game more. You could probably have someone taxi you, though.

Anyway, two concerns:

1) HC gameplay. When you're forced to take risks, one of them is bound to backfire sometime. One reason why they may not add HC to the game, if you know what I'm saying.

2) Boss fights. Where do you get your health or doesn't the bosses just hit you hard anymore?

I know it's early and a lot might change, but what do you think about this?

2. Q33

Q33 IncGamers Member

Re: Does Diablo III force party play/going slow?

Ha, this was my first question too. Maybe they drop potions when you hit them hard enough or after youve taken away X number of HPs.

Are there still mana pots?

3. CarUnderwater

CarUnderwater IncGamers Member

I thought it was said that there were still pots and that those red orbs were just an option to keep in the fights.

4. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

I might want a confirmation on that.

5. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

it's entirely possible to have a boss fight without potions, by searching for life orbs in various objects in boss's room (vases etc) or by killing his summoned creatures, which would drop them more frequently than normally.

but seriously, i think potions have to be in, without potions it just won't be the same game. unless they change it so that the monsters do significantly less damage, and that you also have a quick way to escape every situation.

6. YSM

YSM Banned

Yes, in Diablo III you will not PK, you will cooperate with everyone, you will use nonabrasive language; or Blizzard will send their secret police after you.

7. panaxos

panaxos IncGamers Member

Not true. You can see a Minor Health Potion at 9:13. The reason they put in these health globes was - according to the video commentary - so that you don't have to rely on potions.

8. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

No they will not force parties.

There will be pvp. They stated that it's important to them. I hope they end pointless pvp.

It's an online game. Players will find some loophole to levels fast and my money says there will be a secret cow level.

9. Leohappy

most likely there will be a secret cain level, a large secret area filled with dozens of cains screaming "good day to you, adventurer"

isn't that scary?

10. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

Hahahaha....

Just running all around you in swarms screaming "stay a while and listen!"

11. Leohappy

tha would be absolutely amazing, i hope blizzard reads this topic (yeah, right).

12. Akse

Akse Banned

I hope no cow level or any such thing.. it was the suckiest thing about D2 imo. It was nothing about the game story or anything and still most people spent all the time in there cause it was a very easy place to get exp.

13. j_vellinne

j_vellinne IncGamers Member

Secret level - finish it and the first difficulty, and a remake of D1 unlocks that can be played at modern resolutions and widescreen. ("The warmth of life has entered my tomb. Prepare yourself, mortal, to serve my master for eternity!")

... honestly, I hope DIII brings moments like that back. D1 had me jumping on occasion. DII had me cussing out Duriel's lag kills. I hope they don't have to cut too many corners this time around (sandstorms, etc. that didn't make it into D2...) If it's "Prettier, slightly tweaked DIII" it's just not going to have as much replay value.

Of course, part of that will be in the classes, too - are they all fun, and different enough to impact gameplay? The witchdoctor and barbarian obviously are (and I *WANT* that wall of zombies!)

I'm also really, *really* hoping they don't pull the "If you want the best gear, you MUST play ladder!" again. It's part of what turned me off of D2 in the end. (That and getting no new recipes for so long...)

14. j_vellinne

j_vellinne IncGamers Member

It was a fun treat that got abused. *shrug*

I don't know about lately, but when I was playing it, I spent my time in there because it was just *amusing.*

"Moo moo moo, moo moo, moo."

15. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

The Q&A transcript implies that they're cracking down on potion overuse to keep the action going, and to have players rely on skills instead. Now to address #2 (how do you handle bosses without potions) the answer imo should be: you simply retreat if the boss is giving you a hard time, you go back and kill regular mosnters until you level up a bit, decide if you should beef up your damage to kill the boss faster or get more vitatlity, maybe go to town with loot and buy better gear just for the boss, then you go back to the boss and try to best him again now that you are more powerful. It's classic RPG stradegy/playing at it's finest. I think a ton of D2 players have forgotten that there are monsters prior to the bosses.

Also, there's playing with care and trying not to get hit by the boss.

16. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I think life leech, and some kind of spellcaster equivalent will be more important. It will be a juggling match between outfitting your character with damage and with defense.

Perhaps the spellcaster class will have a spell that does no damage, but gives them some life back. Obviously, you'd want to keep pounding on your enemy, but you might be forced to stop and heal sometimes. In really hard areas where you don't belong, you wouldn't be able to heal yourself faster than you get damaged. Think of hunger and cobra strike in D2, two skills unlike anything D2 classic had.

17. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

oh my gawd, THERE ARE potions in game, only that it wasn't shown on the video YET!

They have not added the column for potions, which I think is still under construction. Again it is only a demo video with the basic elements of D3.

Ok the part where the guy highlight about the orbs thingy, he said "apart from using potions, there's this new orb......." something like that.

You guys really make me rofl :jig:

18. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

My wrong, the person said

" barb has taken damage, in order to recover health quickly, and to keep the pace of combat fast...this red globes blah blah blah...without having to rely on potions "

In other words THERE ARE POTIONS in the game. Those orbs are just add-ons so you can recover your health quickly.

19. CYBERPUNK

CYBERPUNK IncGamers Member

yeah I'm with the "orbs are bad" side of the fence I guess, I think it's going to mess with the existing game mechanics and nature of combat too much, I can see re-doing potions "somehow" as I think carrying a ton and spamming them is ridiculous, but the mechanic of that allowed you to play D2 in a way that was fast and furious and let you get in over your head and MAYBE survive sometimes, whereas others, it put in the ground

try imagining for a second, for the sake of argument about playing D2 and ONLY using potions that dropped from enemies you fought, and by that I mean only picking them up and using them, not ever carrying any on you, you would find combat much more stifling trust me and you would find that there would be many situations that you simply could not win against

yes I understand that potions will still be in the game and they are intended to play a smaller role, but I still do not see what they're gonna do to address the above predicament

(don't get me started on skill bars and cool down timers...)

20. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

Sounds like there are going to be potions, but having them like they are in D2 AND having the red globes would seem to make it too easy. A couple ideas to combat that:

1) Put potion use on a timer. You can only drink one potion every minute or something, so if you need a little boost during a boss fight you've got it, but you can't rely on the potions to keep you alive for long.

2) Make the potions really rare. Make it so you can't buy them, or can only buy the lowest quality ones, even in the later parts of the game. That way, you get a little help early in the game while you're learning, but the crutch goes away as you get more life.

3) Add secondary skills, like the classes had in Diablo 1, but let the character choose if they want to be able to repair their own equipment, make their own potions (with limits), etc.

4) Give health potions negative effects as well, like reduced damage for 30 seconds, boosts life but reduces mana, chance to stun, etc.