does being out of school make you smart or dumb?

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
does being out of school make you smart or dumb?

Older people, I want to hear from you. Especially those who have been out of school for a few years.

Do you think being out of school and in the real world makes you less sharp in terms of intellect? Or do you think you've become wiser/more intelligent since you were in school? If so, in what way?

I'm curious b/c I'll probably be entering the "real world" for good in a few weeks when I start my new job, and I'm not sure I'll have time to read/do things to keep my mind in good shape.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
I get dumber in certain areas when I haven't had to think about them for a long time

but then I thought I'd forgotten everything I ever knew about science and every so often I surprise myself

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
Do you think being out of school and in the real world makes you less sharp in terms of intellect? Or do you think you've become wiser/more intelligent since you were in school?
Both.

You no longer have as much time to read and depending on the job, you may not get as much discussion with experts in your field. You get a lot better at doing your job, but often your job is a very practical and narrow slice of your field.

Still, on the whole I don't think anyone ever has considered college kids smarter than the adult population as a whole. Colleges are breeding grounds for idiocy as semismart kids discover new ideas for the first time and think they have everything figured out (OMFG, I took philosphy 231 so die, I know all).

Garbad

I'm wiser and less booksmart.

Does that make sense?

I feel like I have a much better grasp of practical issues and a better sense of real-world limitations on things, but I no longer can recite the US Presidents or fill in a map of every African country/capital.

jcreader

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think it is a matter of being or becoming smarter or dumber. I believe it becomes an issue of which knowledge areas you need to survive. I am not dumber because I do not instantly recall the formula to calculate the area of a circle. Nor, am I smarter because I can tell you which scale of the Rockwell hardness scale would best fit you steel needs. I would suggest making time to stay current on the things which interest you but are not part of your work world. Everyone needs some escape from work-- idiots and geniuses.