Does anyone own geckos?

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Does anyone own geckos?

I want to buy one today. I have an aquarium with some old clean gravel in it. I figure I should be adding something like organic potting soil?

Ive read a bunch of care sheets and FAQs but I still dont understand the tank set up. Do I just get any old light bulb and clip it to the outside of the tank? Would my old aquarium hoodlight work?

anything? anyone?

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
I am not sure but I think you need special lighting and not just a regular light bulb. Heat and UV perhaps.

I suggest going to a pet store for information. Also, you can sometimes get them very cheap at animal shelters. I have done that for ferrets. (Of course geckos may not be as numerous in your area.)

Ranger14

Diabloii.Net Member
Own them? Don't need to...they are running all over around here! :p Just check with a pet store, as suggested, or a simple google search should take care of your answers.

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Google didnt help too much. I also dont trust people selling me something for the best information. I suppose It is better than nothing though, and is probably what I will end up doing.

Madness

Diabloii.Net Member
You can do it over the phone, or maybe tell them straight ahead you're not interested in buying.
Maybe that way you'll feel better with the information they'll give you, and they won't mind telling the truth.

We used to have two.

You need a hot rock, a place for them to get into water, and something in the bottom of the cage that will hold a little bit of moisture. The lightbulb thing doesn't need to be done if you have a hot rock.

As a side note, geckos can be kinda loud at night. Cool noise though. Oh and if you give them crickets stay away from the ones fed "gut load" or anything similar, that stuff has never worked out well(tarantulas don't digest it well, my lizards all throw it up)

EDIT: If you know a place you can buy one, they should be able to tell you everything you need.