Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does anyone not use merc?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Dr.G, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

Does anyone not use merc?

I always use mercs for all of my character but Iwas wondering. Do hardcore D2 players not use them???

2. Quest For Glory

Quest For Glory Banned

They do... A good merc is always helpful.

3. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

mercenaries are quite invaluable. they provide great support damage, plus auras from act2 mercs are helpful for all kind of characters.

some people think they're troublesome and die too often, therefore they don't use them.

4. Taurgon

Taurgon IncGamers Member

The only time I needed to use a merc was Hell Ancients. It was the one battle in the game I couldn't beat solo.

5. Fercil

Fercil IncGamers Member

Certainly things can be done without mercs but they just make it faster. Just imagine how much more damage necro summoner does when he has a might merc with him. The usefulness of a merc varies naturally according to your class but generally they make the killing quite a lot easier and any HC player will love a meat shield to take the hits instead of himself.

6. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

All my builds have mercs unless they're theme builds or made to prove a certain character can beat the game without a merc or help. (Ex: 1.09 Singer)

If you're actually referring to Hardcore (As opposed to softcore) players, and not just people who play the game a lot, they have to be selective with their mercs. A merc with Holy Freeze, or a ranged merc can easily trigger Lightning Enchanted (LE) monsters causing your death. This doesn't stop them from being used... but be cautious.

7. Mr. Z

Mr. Z Guest

i tend to use mercs only in the early stages of the game.....in nightmare, they just dont seem to keep up with my char, and thus, the die too often....

the only merc i've actualy kept throuhout the game, was my Frost-wolf Scorch, who was my very first barbs, loyal travel companion.....

but with my new sorc, i purchased an act 2 merc with holyfreeze....havent used him since act 2 nm......

i'd rather play in parties with some barbs, than having an useless AI running around.......

(but as for my barb, Scorch was the reason of my victory...)

8. Leto`

Leto` IncGamers Member

Most of my chars didn't need a merc until act5 nm/act1 hell. The problem is getting them alive during normal/nightmare because they die relatively quick and can cost some at that time (I seem to run out of cash quite a lot ;) ).

The merc I use on many of my chars is the frost aura merc (def aura nightmare). He's almost invaluable in some regions of hell, he slows the monsters down and is meatshield, and that should give you time enough to waste the monsters before they start hitting you in most of the cases. Hammerdin (the merc gains from your aura as well, so he does more damage !), Javazon fit nicely with that merc. More melee oriënted chars can benefit from might as well.
    And when you are tiored of act 2 merc, rogues (underestimated) and act3 mercs are fun and useful also.

9. Tao_of_Xero

Tao_of_Xero IncGamers Member

I play HC almost exclusively.When I start a new char,I can't wait til I'm strong enough to go kick Bloodravens butt and get my first Merc.Anything that takes the heat off you as a HC player is an invaluable tool.