Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does anyone know what a CCNA is?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by P2blr, Nov 3, 2006.

1. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

Does anyone know what a CCNA is?

I'm just asking 'cause I'm now one. If you know what it is then forget this, if you don't, sit down and have a listen.
    Supposedly "The Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification indicates a foundation in and apprentice knowledge of networking for the small office/home office market. CCNA certified professionals can install, configure, and operate LAN, WAN, and dial access services for small networks (100 nodes or fewer), including, but not limited to, use of these protocols: IP, IGRP, IPX, Serial, AppleTalk, Frame Relay, IP RIP, VLANs, RIP, Ethernet, Access Lists."

now how do I gets me the jobs?

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Nice, I'm currently studying for my CCDA. Did you take a course or self study?

As for jobs, put your resume out there and pray. CCNA looks good, but you need the skills to back up the cert.

3. Carino

Carino IncGamers Member

I got up to the CCNA level 2 in high school, but im not sure how much use it is. I believe if you want to get a good job you should go for your CCPA which is the next level. Im not sure really.

4. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Actually, it's CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) and I have known a few CCNAs that have good jobs.

5. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

Technically, both. There was a course offered in school and I took it, and then after a lapse relearned all four semesters in about a month.

And I was thinking of going for training to be a CCNP, but after some real-world experience first, eh

6. Carino

Carino IncGamers Member

Ah yes CCNP, i thought CCPA seemed wrong. Im sure theres people with CCNA's that have good jobs, but you have a better chance with a CCNP really, either way i don't know for sure, i haven't looked into it in years.

7. hardnfast

hardnfast IncGamers Member

I think CCNP demonstrates a fairly decent knowledge / skill level in internetworking. All the CCNP's I know have good jobs.

I found the Cisco training to be pretty good, Microsoft training to be pretty average (but with decent lunches) and Redhat training to be probably the best (at least as far as the testing goes)

8. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

CCNA is supposed to be proof of 1-3 years of on-the-job network support/design experience. The cert without the work experience to back it up is not particularly valuable to most employers.

However, it will give you an edge over other entry level applicants. Remember that the CCNA expires after 3 years.