Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does anyone else think this is fair? (school related) ifra

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by piff, Feb 5, 2004.

1. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Does anyone else think this is fair? (school related)

I will compare my GPA card and schedule to another student's classes and GPA (core classes and languages only):

Me:
    Honors Integrated Math 3
    College-in-High Schol Chemistry (You get a school grade and a college grade, with four college credits for successfuly completing the class)
    Honors Engligh 10
    Honors World Cultures 10
    German 2
    gym
    no electives other than German and gym
    GPA = 3.490

I saw a classmate's report card (modes is for students who have trouble learning, most often, but not always, people who slack off and don't try; this fellow is one who doesn't try, he isn't naturally held down in anyway):
    Modes Inegrated Math 1
    Modes English 10
    Modes Bilology
    I know he doesn't take foreign languages and his World Cultures class must be a blocked class.
    Health
    assorted electives
    GPA = 4.000 (straight As, no extra points for taking more advanced classes)

I get the honor roll, he gets highest honors. Is this in any way, shape or form fair? I'll describe the modes classes a little further, and I think modes are a great choice for people who have learning disablities, and they are great for anyone having serious trouble. Modes classes tend to be the smallest in the school, having from 15 to 20 people in each classroom. Two teachers are always present in the room. The class moves much slower than an academic or honors class, and each student can get special attention any time necassary. They also rarely get projects. Sometimes, they can go days without homework. This is good for those who need it. But if you slack off the prevoius year and sign up for modes, then get straight As, I think there's a problem.

Do you agree that this is hardly fair to a student who gets at least an hour of homework per night and pushes themselves as hard as they can for good grades? We got our reports cards today, and this upsets me.

EDIT: It's not that I mind doing worse than I normally do and only making the honor roll. I mind that others can slack off and get on highest.

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

in the scheme of things, GPA and classes only matter to on college applications and they tend to like it when you don't take the easiest classes available, so I wouldn't worry

3. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I'm surprised that for the purposes of honors these grades aren't curved somehow. I only hope that when you both apply to colleges, they actually take the time to look over the classes taken and not just the grade averages.
    I think it's a raw deal. But then, I think anyone getting into a college on an athletic scholarship is a raw deal, too, if someone a lot more scholarly and dedicated to learning is overlooked for the better football player.

4. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Well, all I can offer is this:

10 years from now he'll probably think that it isn't fair that he makes 7.50 an hour to mow lawns.

5. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

In my high school we always had a curve on the honors classes, so it balanced the GPA's somewhat.

6. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

They'll find it even more unfair when lawn mowers are replaced by sexy robots, and they're out of a job.

7. piff

piff IncGamers Member

I know that colleges care more on your courses than GPA. And honors GPAs are curved very slightly. It's still better to get an A in modes than a B in honors. I just think that people, to make the HONOR roll or higher, should be in HONORS classes.

And I'd never mow lawns. But clean gutters....

8. TheOgreMan

TheOgreMan IncGamers Member

You can get 7.50 an hour to MOW LAWNS? Holy crap man, if I knew I'd make money that easily around my area I'd quit my job now. I only make $7/hr to be a kennel/vet tech.

On topic, piff, I feel your pain. Most schools do put a weight on higher classes. AP classes (like your chem) usually carry much higher weight both GPA-wise and college application wise. Don't worry about his higher GPA; knowing your classes and current GPA I can say that you are doing fine.

Just keep it up when you do get to college. Believe me, if you have no study skills now you will be troubled later. I have yet to develop any and I am struggling because of it. I am by no means a "dumb" person (in fact I've been said to be quite intelligent) but I don't know how to study. Hell, if I don't learn soon I'll lose a good $7,000 in scholarships next year.

9. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

No not you Piff, one thing that I've found in my young life is that leopards don't change their spots and men don't change their habits. If he's a slacker now, he's going to be a slacker forever. He won't go very far.

10. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Yeah, I know that's true for most cases. Except for my uncle...he went from stoner/slacker (he could multitask at some things) to millionaire.

I'm not worreid that a college is going to accept him over me. I doubt he'll even try for college. It's the fact that the school is, in my opinion, distorting the truth about having a greater number of students doing exceptionally and that it's not fair for someone such as him to get a higher ranking and such for slacking.

11. th5418

th5418 Banned

Well, sure he will pass highschool w/ those 4.0's but colleges wont really like those prealgebra or whatever classes eh?

12. piff

piff IncGamers Member

The integrated series is a program in which all types of math (algebra, geometry, trig, ect.) are included in one book. They go from level 1 to 3, and are after pre-algebra and you take the specialized math courses after that.

13. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

An hour of homework!?!?! I get 45 minutes per class! Yes thats right 45 minutes....some odd school policy. Still I wouldn't worry about it piff you have the better classes and a college would take you over him in a heartbeat. Even if he doesn't go to college then those 4.0s really won't help...most employers ask for class schedules if you haven't gone to college.

14. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

Sounds like Core Plus to me. I'm a math teacher and that's the b.s. new math curriculum they tried pushing down our throats in college. Anyway, enough with my rant. My high school used a weighted grading system to get around this. In the honors classes you could get a 4.5 instead of a 4.0 in the class and worked down so that 3.5 was a B, 2.5 was a C and so forth. I can't see why your high school doesn't do it this way. I guess I shouldn't talk. The ghetto high school I work for doesn't do it either.

15. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

That number isn't the most important thing you take away from your high school career. Not by a long shot. Keep working hard and colleges will be loving that 3.5 GPA with all those tough classes (and test scores to go with them, no doubt).

16. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Although you make think its not fair, its really a stupid thing to argue about somethings fairness on.

It doesnt matter, it doesnt hurt you by him being there, and maybe it will help him confidence wise into getting a job that doesnt pay min wage since he thinks he can do something right in his life. You, colleges dont care about how your classmates did, they care about you, the classes you took, sat scores, essays, and what clubs/sports you did.

17. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Just smile, and know that you're much smarter. Like others have said, many colleges will look at your courses and GPA and drool. But also keep in mind that taking a difficult course load like that will also help you in college, as you'll be more used to that sort of work load. That I know from personal experience.

18. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

Who cares, highschool is useless, mowing lawns is where the big money it at, as Steve pointed out.