Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does anyone else feel iffy about the style going into Diablo 3? de

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by JayofTeror, Dec 19, 2008.

1. JayofTeror

JayofTeror IncGamers Member

Does anyone else feel iffy about the style going into Diablo 3?

I don't think it'll feel much like the originals.

I dislike the idea of how instead of having health to heal yourself with, it'll be scattered throughout the area you are in.
    I also find that the armors look kind of ridiculous. I liked how in D2 they weren't over exaggerated and large and normal human sized lol.
    I'm not too fond of the art design either.
    And the inventory is going to be dumb, each item will only take up one box. That leads no strategy as too what you should take with you and what you should leave. I loved that in the game because either you had to organize your stuff or go sell it.

Besides Starcraft, Diablo, and the original Warcraft I've never really felt games made by this company, and I hate the idea of people wearing armor 3x their size. I mean I wouldn't go buy a pair of jeans 3 sizes big.

Does anyone else think this is gonna play weird after being a veteran of the originals?

2. Raging_Zealot

Raging_Zealot Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Does anyone else feel iffy about the style going into Diablo 3?

This and things like it have been brought up a lot ever since Diablo III was announced. Some of the game mechanic changes will take some getting used to, but then there were some major changes from Diablo to Diablo II as well (skill trees vs finding books, etc.). While it may be slightly different than its predecessors, I still believe it will have many of the elements that drew us all in to the previous games. The fast paced hack 'n slash combat style, the item collecting addictions, etc. I've recently started playing a free MMO to tide me over until Diablo III, and it uses the 1 item per slot type setup, and while I do agree that the "Tetris style" setup of Diablo was cool, this works well also. Granted it is slightly easier, but you still have to pick and choose what you can hold and what you are forced to leave behind or sell. Sometimes in Diablo it would aggravate me that you would technically have enough inventory slots to hold something, but because the larger items couldn't be turned, you still couldn't hold the items in question, no matter how much rearranging was done. I treated it as part of the challenge and a game feature, but I can see why the 1 slot per item setup is popular as well.

My personal take on it, is that in my opinion, all the Blizzard games I've played have been good. I've never played WoW, but I trust the Blizzard design team to create another good game.

3. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

There are only a few issues I have. Things like the hammer of ancients is bigger than the barb himself making him look like he's in an Warner Brothers cartoon, and the cracks it makes go away almost instantly. Plus, it's yellow? And the shoulder pads take over the character. But gameplay wise, you have to realize they must make serious changes because d2 was full of serious problems. The inventory change may sound like it lacks challenge, but there is nothing to stop Blizzard from inserting a new, better chalenge in its' place.

For example, they promise an 'endless stream' of items to find. It doesn't matter how easy it is to organize them, you will still be swamped with tough choices to make at every kill zone.

4. AkumaSlayer

AkumaSlayer Diablo: IncGamers Member

You're a lot like me, I've played almost all the Blizzard games but I only really enjoyed the original Warcrafts (1 and 2), Starcraft, and the Diablo series.

Warcraft 3 was ok, but I never finished the campaign. I haven't played WoW, but the graphics look horrible, and you have to pay to play. Not really worth it to me - I would rather play Guild Wars.

I'm looking forward to Starcraft 2 - although it does slightly resemble 3D warcraft-type graphics - but the gameplay should make up for it, and it does still look nicer than the original Starcraft.

I'm looking forward to Diablo 3 (obviously) but I don't expect to enjoy it as much as Diablo 2. But hopefully it will turn out ok. I agree with your points on ridiculously huge armor and weapons (definitely inspired by WoW) but the inventory change doesn't bother me too much, although it will make it feel less like the original Diablo and more like some other random RPG game.

5. JayofTeror

The reason I think that the Diablo inventory was so cool is because it was very original to organize your items how you wanted to. Granted I ended up using the horadric cube to store things 99% of the time, but I also play an rpg called Silkroad to pass the time, and the inventory style is how it's gonna be in D3, and I don't know, I don't like it because it's just a recycled idea.
    It's not too much of an issue, but I do wish that there was some kind of weight affection due to your character carrying so much stuff then.

I still plan on buying D3 but I also plan on uninstalling it when I get tired and going back to some good ol' D2 lol

6. AkumaSlayer

AkumaSlayer Diablo: IncGamers Member

I used the cube all of the time as well. But the worst thing they could do, I think, is the weight/encumbered feature. This is in Fallout 3, and I hate it - if you try to carry too much it slows you down to walking pace. It's incredibly frustrating.

7. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Fuzzing over something like inventory management is just too silly. What are we talking about here? You insist on being able to spend time swapping stuff to make space? You must be bored stiff!

The sheer amount of items you will find will make sure you can still micro manage what you want to pick up and what you want to toss out. What does shifting stuff in a neat form have to do with playing a hack and slash rpg? Really now.... It's more of the same old fear of new things that might damage the dream people are having of a perfect d3, that both reinvents the genre AND is exactly the same as d2. It's not called D3:Tetris Reincarnate :)

Also all we have seem is pre-Alpha stuff, there is no point in worrying about any graphical stuff, they can at their leisure change colours/sizes/styles.

Chucking a random pot filled with either purple ish goo or weird red goo versus picking up globes of life essence? Tomatoe/Tomatoe :p Again, people are afraid of a change just because it's a change....

I played warcraft 1 and 2 for the campaign only, same with sc 1 , I went online with d2 and after that LOD. I played Wc3 online for ages, including the awesomeness that is DotA. I was hugely addicted to WoW for about a year and still feel nostalgic thinking about it. What I have seen so far in D3 doesn't swing me either way, the fact is that only playing it will show whether or not they will have the most basic of basics right. What is being discussed now are only fringe symptomes and not the underlying important basics! Will Diablo 3 reinvigorate the 'one-more-run-for-level yy/item x' feeling that made people go do a cow level for the 10.000th time or made them run Mephie for the 100.000th time? That is central to the long term success of d3. People can get used to any type of graphics and any type of style and any type of inventory, but people can't get used to crappy gameplay :)

8. The Lord of Darkness

The Lord of Darkness IncGamers Member

My biggest gripe is the idea of auto stat allocation. Everything else is fine, people need to understand that Diablo needs to expand beyond of what it once was, they expanded from the original Diablo with Diablo 2 and LoD. Was/Is Diablo 2 better than the original? In my mind it isn't even close, Diablo2 owns Diablo and I'm positive Diablo 3 will own Diablo 2 as well. As long as they don't deviate the lore and overcomplicate the game, it will be great.

9. NioTumsSpik

NioTumsSpik IncGamers Member

I have absolutly no complaint about the way they are going, i think this game will even be better then D2.

And potion chugging was the stupidest thing ever, i am extremly glad they got rid of that

10. Lazarus II

Lazarus II IncGamers Member

There are only two things that irks me a bit. One is the health globes which is a little too much arcade for me, and the second thing is that sometimes the graphics seem to be inspired by Warcraft 3 when zoomed in. I'm not too fond of that. Otherwise it looks great.

11. JayofTeror

Yes but what I am getting at is that this is not warcraft, we don't need over-sized armor and the inventory is what made it feel original. So many rpgs have used this form of inventory and it's not fun in my opinion. I don't think that's a silly complaint because of the fact that because WoW has been such a hit, which in my opinion is worse than many free rpgs, Blizzard has been desiring an art direction such as the one in the Warcraft universe, which I feel should also be original to the Warcraft. I like the cartoony style of WC and I think that the darker feeling appealed to me in Diablo, and that's why I stuck with it after WC2. I played WoW once for maybe a week, and just how the game felt and palyed makes me how Blizzard has not been inspired too much to go after that direction

12. JayofTeror

And I own Fallout 3 and yes that does extremely piss me off, but it's not as bad as in Oblivion where you couldn't move at all. Especially with all the exploring that needs to be done I'm hoping Bethesda can find a way to get rid of that. I mean too a certain extent, if you are the Barbarian and do a leap, and least have some indention to the ground depending on how much youare carrying at the time. liek the heavier you are, the more damage increases because of the weight?

13. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

I would like the inventory to be like it is in Sacred 2. Like D2's inventory but the items are smaller and there are a lot more squares. It also has a sell now for less value option and an auto sort option so you don't spend any time having to arrange it.

14. CaptainDingo

CaptainDingo IncGamers Member

I think the point is that in Fallout 3, being forced to a leisurely walk when you're over-encumbered might as well be the same as not allowing you to walk. How many of us took an hour to walk that slow back to a city just to sell an extra weapon or two? It basically just forced you to fast-travel back and forth and make multiple trips, which turns out to be just as tedious.

No complaints there. I hate having my hand held. But if they do this, the only restrictions they should be putting on wearing equipment should be a level. I'd hate to not be able to wear something just because the game said I couldn't because they decided I wasn't a big boy enough to choose my own attributes so I can only wear it when they let me. It waters down the system no matter how you spin it.

15. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

The Fallout 2 weight issue: if it annoys you to be slowed, then...um...don't exceed your weight limit? I don't see the problem. You can also make your chr with lots of str. Furthermore, there's a part in New Reno when you talk to the pharmacy store vendor and he spells it out for us when your chr says something like 'Oh, I just walk around all day and go through people's shelves. It's mostly junk, really. Oh look! There's some shelves over there...'

He is trying to tell us that you're wasting your time going around picking up every last item. It gets to a point where the vendors don't have enough money to buy it all from you. The stuff is there to waste your time, and you're supposed to practice inhibition. It's just like in d2 where soooo many people complain about stash size, yet Blizzard clearly says they want us to have limited space so we have to make tough choices about what to keep.

The point is these things are a pain because we do it to ourselves. Games have got to have rules.

16. phaolo

phaolo IncGamers Member

Lol, in D2 I use the horadric cube to store things too! Very annoying but inventory is full with needed charms.
    I think that organizing the inventory is VERY fun at start, but at high levels it's just frustrating and time wasting. I prefer the comfortable 1 object type per tile option (and expandable stash).

Slowness is good at beginning, but at late levels it's just useless.

--

I don't understand the no-potion choice. The health globes seem to me like a forced innovation that is bringing the game to an unpleasant arcade-game style. :\

--

Auto stat allocation?? I didn't see that! Darn I hate pre-made classes (zero free choices)

17. visom

visom IncGamers Member

I've played D3 for... 4 years and I'm sure most of you guys play longer, but during that 4 years the inventory system neither amazes nor disappoints me. There is very very very little thinking involved in organizing d1/d2 inventory. It's always "just put this in whatever space you got left" and if your inventory is full...well I think I speak for most of you when I say that you just throw away whatever items you don't need to make room, or go back to town (thanks to our easy access to TP) to resell items, I hardly bet anyone would take the time to sit there and think about how to organize their inventory.

The ONLY thing I organize in my inventory are potions.

If I use the D3 inventory style, I hardly doubt I would feel the change.

As for armor, it may be a bit over exaggerated but in the end it does look better and has caught my attention. I like originality, but I don't like dullness. If D2 is a mythical lore game, why have real life resembling item?

18. GoldenBird

GoldenBird IncGamers Member

My biggest disappointment are the graphics. It looks like it came out of an anime book or some little kids show. I don't mind the characters and monsters and what not, it's the environment; I don't have problem with the daisies and rainbows but there was one picture in Tristram with a picture of a tree... I thought they had cut it out from a manga book and stuck it onto the screen.

19. CaptainDingo

CaptainDingo IncGamers Member

I'd be interested in seeing this little kid's show that has a Barbarian lopping the heads off of zombies, demons ripping their way out of the bloody carcass of a chanting cultist, and a tremendous siege beast that tears the torsos off of would-be adventurers.

20. reaperguy

reaperguy IncGamers Member

To me it seems that Blizzard wants D3 to appeal to their WOW players to increase the sales. Why else would they make D3 in to a painfully obvious Warcraft looking thing? No faithful Diablo fan would take Diablo in this visual direction and everyone really knows this.

When I hear that a few years ago the originol Diablo team was making a d3 that looked like d2, well damn, that sounds pretty great. I would give anything to see some of their work come out for comparison. Why take Diablo in a Warcraft direction? Profits. Nobody would make Diablo look like something else for any other reason. They think they can nudge Diablo in to a Warcraft art direction and get both Diablo and Warcraft players.

It turned a dark spooky game in to a cartoon. You remember when you watched that opening cinematic of D1 and you thought "damn, this is going to be a dark and freaky game" and that's exactly what it was! It never let up and that's what you remember about it...it was a dingy, dark game. D2 took that concept and expanded it, but kept it on the same path.Now you see the new D3 cinematic and think "Damn, this game is going to take Diablo further than it ever has been before" and it doesn't, it changes it in to some cartoon joke. They will never make a D3, they've resigned to make a Warcraft game in the Diablo universe and it isn't because it's the best thing to do, it's because it will make the most money.