Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does anybody have a spare CD Key?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Eric1285, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Eric1285

Eric1285 IncGamers Member

Does anybody have a spare CD Key?

Hey...I haven't played Diablo in about 1.5-2 years, back during patch 1.08 I believe. Recently, some of my friends started playing, and well, since second term of senior year is over, I might as well play too! Problem is, I lent my CD's and the respective keys to my friends, who promptly lost them. I never thought to ask them to pay me back, since I thought I had kicked the habit of D2 for good. Well, here I am, and although I managed to get a LOD disc from one of my friends, I don't have a usable CD key. I used to spend a lot of time on the forums, and although I doubt many people remember me (I think I went as Padme-something and then MistaSupreme after one of the first crashes) I'd appreciate some help here so I can get back into the community. Thanks!

2. Gorny

Gorny Banned

The best thing for you to do is buy the game and use a new cd key. Those of us that do have more than one key would never give them to anyone for any reason.

In addition, I Strongly suggest that you Read the rules of these forums http://www.rpgforums.net/rules/

In my opinion, asking someone else for a CD-KEY falls right under #5.

3. Eric1285

Er, okay. I was hoping to get a more considerate first reply, but that's okay. I've read the rules, and rule #5 doesn't seem to apply. Like I said, I have the CD (I'll photograph the darned thing for you if you want). I've already paid for the games once, when they first game out, at something like $50 and $40 each. I don't really feel like dropping another $40, especially since I've lost $250 in the past two days. I even did a search on the forums, and it seems as if people have had luck in the past with members who have extra cd keys. So...kindly step aside, because I do not seem to be in direct violation of the rules, and I've contributed more than a fair amount to these forums in the past. I'm just asking for a little something in return, because I'd like to get back into the game.

4. Kitten~The~Evil

Kitten~The~Evil IncGamers Member

I'm quite a bit computer illiterate, so this may be a stupid question - but how can you have the CD and not the CD Key?

5. Eric1285

Borrowed the CD from my friend. I don't know where he got it, but it seems like it might or might not work. It has a good number of scratches on it, but it does pop up the installer. Unfortunately, I can't get any further without a CD-Key.

They should really just put the keys on the CD...it'd be so much easier.

6. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Wrong attitude. You don't deserve anything for contributing to the forums.

I can't speak on what the administrators would want in this situation, since it doesn't seem to be in direct violation of the rules. However I would guess that begging for CD keys would not be a kind of post that they would smile upon.

Either way, the game is not expensive. If you really want to play it, then buy it.

7. Eric1285

Geeze, dude, I'm not demanding anything. I'm asking to see if anyone has a spare CD key they'd be willing to let me use. I'm not saying I deserve it or anything, but I have searched, and several people seem to have been successful in obtaining CD keys.

If you have nothing to contribute, kindly leave the thread. I understand that you wouldn't want to give up a cd key. Fine. Not everyone will share your opinion (I hope).

As for the game being cheap, yes, $20 is relatively inexpensive, but I've already shelled out $90 to Blizzard for this game once, and truth be told, I don't feel like paying another $20-40 even if I had it, just because some of my friends lost what I let them borrow. Maybe it's my fault for being considerate and all and telling them to forget about it, but such is life.

8. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Hold on there. My reply is very considerate. I could have reported your post. I did not...yet. You can get a new game for 20.00 ..with key.

No I will not step aside, and infact, I expect that you will get simillar anwsers to mine.

No matter what you have done for these forums, asking anyone for a CD-KEY is not getting something in return.

In your response to Usufruct :

Not everyone will share our opinions, but I do think the majority does. So what if you shelled out $90 to Blizzard.
    We all spent money buying the game(s).

Consider this : Say I gave you one of my two CD-KEYS. Now I have put myself in danger of my account being muted or banned based on your actions. ( I am not implying that you do anything that might involve cheating or hacking, but regardless, that IS a risk I would end up with.

On another point : You just joined here this month. As of now you have 9 posts.

You say you have done a lot for these forums. What ? Where ? When?

[size=+8] Prove it [/size]

9. Eric1285

Oh wow...hey...look:
    http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=146725&highlight=cd-key
    My goodness, people being kind. How unexpected.

There's nothing to report. No threads of this type have been locked in the past (at least in the search I did). I haven't broken any rules. You can try reporting it if it'd make you feel better, but just because you're bitter today doesn't mean that everyone else will be.

If you choose to keep posting in this thread, so be it. I am confident that I can spew forth just as much "reason" as you can, if not more.

10. Schwhat

Schwhat IncGamers Member

Not to rain on your parade. You didn't seem to search too well, I did the same search right now. And I came back with ALOT of posts fell under the category.

1) asked for CD key. Was told to buy the game again or heckled by demanding huge amount of $$. Person started the post either stayed silent or decided to buy the game again.

2) asked for a way to change / view their cd key. Big difference there.

3) the only ones I was able to spot asking for a cd key which actually got anywhere WERE people that were old time players and still had friends on the forums. So they knew each other.

We don't mean to hurt your feelings any, but your current situation doesn't fall under the successful scenario, due to the fact you just signed up and could be anyone. As suggested to you to go buy one, amazingly in the US you can buy it for $20 for the both of them(maybe cheaper somewhere online), or try the $10 to Blizzard to get the CD key replaced, you just send them your box or so.

And that example you just cited. Falls under #3 in case if you were wondering.

11. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

For what's it worth. This is what my first "considerate" reply would have been ...

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, Nope, No way, Sorry!​

Count yourself lucky Aragorn was the first and try not to be too sensitve. I actually got a good laugh from this though! Hey want my password too?

Masa

12. Gorny

Gorny Banned

So you found one instance. Ok fine.
    It happens. No, I wont report to feel better. Sorry I am not bitter today. In fact, aside from other threads here and in The OT where being bitter in the thread is part of the fun ( Thread Necromancy Project Thread :) ) I am in fact very rarely bitter towards anyone...ask anyone here.

...Aye you can spew all you want.
    ...That is until one mod or another decides to step in.

13. Kitten~The~Evil

Kitten~The~Evil IncGamers Member

Just to pop in my 2 cents:

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=126537

That is a link to the rules thread in USEast TF - it very specifically says you can not trade CD keys... of course, in this case, he's not trying to trade for one, he's asking for one, so IMHO, this is a topic on shakey/questionable grounds.

Just because someone did it in the Druid forum doesn't mean it isn't allowed - it just means no one reported the guy. And it looks like everyone knew who the guy was too.

If no one knows you, it's unlikely they are going to give you their CD Key - they run the risk of having it banned by Blizz if you do anything ban-worthy, as Aragorn pointed out. If you are a returning member, I recommend you look up some of the people you once knew and see if they will give you one. And you may want to try using PM.

14. Eric1285

Well, I guess we'll all just keep bumping my thread up. It is unfortunate that I don't have my old account. I guess, just like most other forums, UserID and post count determine how you are treated. Anyways, if anyone has an extra CD-key, you know who can use it.

15. Eric1285

Does anyone here remember Kwalabo? I tried searching, and nothing comes up except my own post.

16. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Ok so you claim not to have your old account. Ok then, who were you? Care to tell us ?

Also User Id and post count do not completley determine how one is treated, the quality of the posters posts, and the way he or she acts over time plays a very big part.

Another question aside from this thread:

What is your personal play style in game ?

How do you play with others in public games ?

If someone dies in a game and "POPS", dropping a large amount of gold and some valuable gear, what would you do if you were close to the person that did pop?

Edit : I did a search in the member list for the User "Kwalabo" ...no such person. Keep in mind that the mods recently pruned alot of inactive members over the past 1 - 3 months. So I can't prove or disprove anything.

17. Eric1285

Fair enough, here are answers to most of your probes:

I had two accounts, one that was deleted in a forum crash, then I believe the second was deleted in another crash. I am fairly certain that one of these was MistaSupreme, as that was one of my account names on USEast. Another one may have beem Padme something...to go with my Star Wars craze of the time. Neither accouns is active, probably due to crashes/deletion of inactive accounts. After all, it has been 2 years or so.

If I had my old account, I'm sure I'd be treated differently. I'd like to think I phrased my request in a polite manner, not demanding, grammatically correct, etc.

Personal play style? My last character was a Paladin, good for both PvM and PvP. I used mainly Smite for PvP, and the standard Zeal/Fanat and Vengeance/Conviction combo for PvM. I believe he was level 92. Had a MF sorc, a CE necro, Javazon, Bowazon, all the cookie cutters, as well as a few varients that never made it very far.

Public games, back in 1.08 I always used to party...if I'm not mistaken, you would get much more experience that way. You need to be more specific here, because I don't understand what you're trying to find out.

As for corpse popping, this happened to me, and I lost all my loot. Knowing how agonizing it can be to lose all the equipment you spent a lot of time trading/searching for, I don't think I'd be tempted to steal somebody else's hard work. Of course, I might wait in the game (if there's no one else) for them to come back (assuming they lagged out...this is what happened to me) or pick up their stuff and track them down if there are others in the game...whatever it takes to make sure they get their equipment back.

18. Eric1285

Kwalabo wasn't a user/person. It was a group on USEast that would play together. Hardly anyone would remember it, but there were quite a few members, and it was a lot more fun playing with people you trusted. If anyone has been on the forums a looong time and hangs out in General Strategy, they would most likely remember it, as well as those who were a part of it. I didn't play with them a whole lot, but I participated in their threads and when I could, I partied up with them.

19. Voldemort

Voldemort IncGamers Member

Eric that is not the point that your fellow forumgoers are trying to flame you. They are just asking you not to ask for a cd-key. I will use myself as an example, my wife once threw out my lod jewel case with the cd-key on it. I needed to reinstall the software but I had no cd-key. I was upset that it happened. I did not ask anyone for a cd key. I went out and purchased one. It was still $40. So don't ask for cd-keys

20. Eric1285

Sigh...going out and buying one would be the simple solution, no?

I'll put it plain and simple. I don't have $20+tax. My bank account balance rests at $.80. I have about $25 cash for food for the next two weeks of spring break. My job application is still being reviewed. The stock market has been down three consecutive days, and my investments have taken a beating. $20 is a considerable amount of money.